PDA

View Full Version : Skies Above Britain - BBC TV Series

PositiveClimbGearUp
11th Aug 2016, 01:42
A five part series looking at Britain's Air Traffic Control system begins next Wednesday 17th August at 9pm on BBC2.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtKEcQEOjGM

It appears NATS have been heavily involved in the research, and are endorsing the series, so hopefully a change from the 'accident waiting to happen' docos and mockos we have been treated to in the past!

I'm looking forward to it.

joy ride
11th Aug 2016, 06:44
Cheers for that, sounds like one to watch!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
11th Aug 2016, 13:26
As long as it's better than Bill Semple's video!!

DaveReidUK
11th Aug 2016, 13:53
A five part series looking at Britain's Air Traffic Control

The BBC's preliminary publicity suggests that the subject matter is rather wider than that, although Episode 1 does focus specifically on ATC:

"Over five episodes Skies Above Britain explores the complex, hidden world of the skies above us and discovers the human stories of the people who spend their life in flight."

Albaman
11th Aug 2016, 15:13
Thanks to PositiveClimbGearUp for the advance notice of this programme. I hope it has not been made by the same organisation that made the recent series " Cities in the Sky " where, in my opinion, the much lauded academic achievements of the presenters was not reflected in the contents of the programmes.

Guest 112233
11th Aug 2016, 16:36
Beware: (...)and discovers the human stories of the people who spend their life in flight(...)

It sounds like one of those series where: Capt Horatio Sky-god relaxes by taking his Jack Russell Zeus, for a walk when not flying SLF to exotic destinations throughout the globe occupies; say 50% of the transmission time; to broaden the interest base for the viewers.

Some might say that's entirely laudable, but there comes a time when the presentation of the exciting world of aviation becomes diluted by the needs of the producers to produce "product". Ok that's probably unfair as the series has not jet been broadcast, but by previous experience, for me at least, real communication of the excitement of the various professions has not been good.

Remember its summertime TV :sad:

CAT III

joy ride
11th Aug 2016, 16:47
The Beeb's recent "Full Steam Ahead" series started shakily and I thought it was going to remain "populist" with little information, but from the 2nd episode became fascinating (despite some slightly irritating presentation). I hope this Skies programme might be similarly interesting.

Guest 112233
11th Aug 2016, 16:54
The last Full Steam Ahead was rather good, an exposition of the economic and social impact of steam in the Victorian Era.

CAT III ( Former Train spotter at Snow Hill - a proper Station)

chevvron
12th Aug 2016, 12:52
As long as it's better than Bill Semple's video!!
Nah it'll be the usual thing concentrating on Heathrow and Swanwick and totally ignoring the fact there are smaller ATSUs like Cardiff and Farnborough which have their parts to play (even FISO units)

DaveReidUK
12th Aug 2016, 14:27
Then again, we could always just watch it and find out. :O

Evanelpus
12th Aug 2016, 14:34
Then again, we could always just watch it and find out.

Now, there's a radical idea:ok:

PAXboy
13th Aug 2016, 20:27
I'll just read all the criticism in here and save the trouble of watching myself ... :p

Evanelpus
15th Aug 2016, 12:33
I'll just read all the criticism in here and save the trouble of watching myself ...

Ahh, c'mon, you know you will watch it!:ok:

PAXboy
17th Aug 2016, 10:56
Well, Evanelplus, it is booked to record. Whether I watch it will depend on the reviews in here! ;)

Evanelpus
17th Aug 2016, 13:11
Well, Evanelplus, it is booked to record. Whether I watch it will depend on the reviews in here!

PPRuNe's gone downhill lately, there are far too many precious queens here, so if I were you I'd watch it and make your own mind up.

Enjoy!:ok:

philbky
17th Aug 2016, 21:10
A different look at protecting the skies and I hope people take note of just how professional the Coastguard helicopter crew were.

Council Van
17th Aug 2016, 21:30
A bit of a hit and miss programme in my opinion but I would recommend every one to watch the part about the Coast Guard rescue of a walker who had fallen and was seriously injured in the Lake District.

To inch their way up the side of the hill in fog with the light beginning to fade was absolutely amazing, they more than earned their salary that day and most likely saved the injured ladies life.

An outstanding rescue mission.

trident3A
18th Aug 2016, 10:00
I really enjoyed this, the Typhoon stuff in particular

Evanelpus
18th Aug 2016, 19:20
Well, nowt wrong with that. No over dramatically situations and well presented.

Alan Baker
19th Aug 2016, 09:28
I seriously doubt that the Typhoon pilot on his first solo was doing aerobatics, as was suggested by the way the footage was cut.

PositiveClimbGearUp
20th Aug 2016, 03:24
Quite a lengthy interview with a Terminal Control Supervisor at Swanwick, as a follow up from Wednesday's programme. Very interesting to a mere SLF like me!

http://youtu.be/_4E0jzeRCdI

Dan Winterland
20th Aug 2016, 07:55
I seriously doubt that the Typhoon pilot on his first solo was doing aerobatics, as was suggested by the way the footage was cut.

He probably was. But not at low level.

PAXboy
25th Aug 2016, 02:25
I have only seen the first and let me pay it one compliment: The footage of the folks, inching their way up a blind alley, with walls they cannot see and snapping winds they cannot anticipate - was breath taking. However ...

All the external footage, and much of the internal, could have come from half a dozen different documentaries. It was so much 'copy & paste' wallpaper.

When we had the one senior controller explaining that they had to get the lot on the ground to swap with the lot in the air by just using her hands in a one second gesture? Where were the graphics to explain to people how it's done? When they showed computer trails to indicate the flight paths - they just allowed them to build up into a solid mass = incomprehensible! What I was expecting was to see an explanation (not too detailed) of how the channels are organised and how they get machines to go through them in an orderly fashion.

Start with the big picture. Then show how an aircraft gets from SOU to EDI and one from LHR to JFK when they leave at the same time, to explain the basic process. THEN build up the repetition to show the complexity as the basic process is repeated umpteen times.

All we got was endless images of screens with many moving images - no explanation for the uneducated viewer.

The examples of the different users were over the top. Watching a family with loads o' money and smugness was nothing we needed to see. If they wanted to show a glimpse of some of the folk who ride the sky - these were of no more than 60 seconds interest.

The chopper people were great but we've had dozens of such programmes over the last decade - they showed us expertise - but nothing new.

Then there was the usual 'bated breath' commentary, written and spoken to pretend that imminent disaster was upon us - to try and keep people watching. All of the above swamped with music that made it difficult to hear. Not that there was anything to learn!

As is so often the case now - a waste of money and opportunity. The prog was even worse than I had thought it could be.

Groundloop
25th Aug 2016, 08:47
The Typhoon pilot was described as a Flight Lootenant! Surely the RAF have not gone all American?

G-ARZG
25th Aug 2016, 14:17
In ep2, the 'pr--ck with the drone' could, we suppose, read the instructions on the box his toy came in, but not the rules on its operation. Gives Village Idiots a bad name !

Oh, and do we really need another 'fear of flying' class feature, almost a cliche of such shows now...

Rant mode - off . 'ZG

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
25th Aug 2016, 14:32
They wouldn't let me in the ops rooms when the fear of flying brigade were there. Something to do with me hollering "they'll all be killed"!

PAXboy
25th Aug 2016, 23:28
Well, I watched the second and it was more of the same.

All the opportunities to explain things in plain language and graphics - were not. When the BA with a hydraulic problem was approching LHR they said 'extended centre line' and 'landing 27Right'. All it needed was a simple aerial photo of LHR and showing where 27R is - so that folks could identify with the location and the problem.
More radar screens full of figures and numbers without an explanation as to why it's actually safe.
The stories of folks doing other things in the sky were quiet interesting but they was just filling up time. All the other components have been featured in various progs - if they shot them afresh they wasted the money.

chevvron
26th Aug 2016, 07:16
They wouldn't let me in the ops rooms when the fear of flying brigade were there. Something to do with me hollering "they'll all be killed"!
My trick (before drinking at control positions was banned) was to get myself some water and just after the visitors arrived, I would take a swig and announce very loudly 'there's no gin in that!'

T250
26th Aug 2016, 10:16
This show strikes as rather mundane.

No new content, if anything seems to be constant montage of random aircraft taxiing with creepy music in between various 'stories' and 2-3 minute peaks into TC at Swanwick. :hmm: Seems they have totally disregarded that there is also the Area Control ops room at Swanwick, but don't worry about that!

Latest episode didn't have much to offer, situations arising at TC which were not explained at all.

Who really cares about these stories in between various features of posh ****s flying around in their vintage aircraft?! :cool::bored:

ZOOKER
26th Aug 2016, 19:22
This is slightly 'off-track', but I admit to being a tad disappointed by this show.
however if you can cope with Gregg Wallace, the 'Inside The Factory' episodes about Heinz Beanz and Walker's Crisps are well worth watching. The statistics, processes and scale of production of both of these products are astonishing. :ok:

wowzz
26th Aug 2016, 21:30
Having been involved in a production unit that cut/sliced/grated 1000 tonnes of cheese a week, I would say that few of us realise the technology that goes into our everyday foodstuffs.

possibleconsequences
31st Aug 2016, 19:56
I wonder if they're going to bother pointing out that NATS are not the only company controlling over the uk. I'm pretty sure in episode 1 there was a quote from someone in Swanwick along the lines of' we control all the aircraft over the U.K.' and in the latest episode the FIS controller 'controls all the traffic outside the main airways system' .
Maybe there's an episode coming up acknowledging all the other ATC staff.....

chevvron
1st Sep 2016, 03:58
I wonder if they're going to bother pointing out that NATS are not the only company controlling over the uk. I'm pretty sure in episode 1 there was a quote from someone in Swanwick along the lines of' we control all the aircraft over the U.K.' and in the latest episode the FIS controller 'controls all the traffic outside the main airways system' .
Maybe there's an episode coming up acknowledging all the other ATC staff.....
Just as I said at entry#9 above.

DaveReidUK
1st Sep 2016, 07:06
While that distinction is clearly important to non-NATS ATC staff, I suspect the program makers were either unaware of it or decided it would be lost on the viewing public, consistent with the overall dumbed-down (and, in places, inaccurate) approach of the programme.

"Hibalstow", anyone ?

Chesty Morgan
1st Sep 2016, 08:03
Can someone tell them that it isn't ATC who land the aircraft?!

barry lloyd
1st Sep 2016, 08:58
I have to admit that the references to Leeds East had me confused, until I discovered they'd re-branded Church Fenton!

I wonder if it's on RYR's list of future destinations...?

T250
1st Sep 2016, 09:43
Nothing new again in last night's episode.

Following rich t***s about flying in their precious aircraft in uncontrolled airspace, hardly representative of the other users of the airspace :hmm:

And more poor editing, cut to the ATCO at LHR chatting about night time ops at LHR, how nothing stops and they get on with maintenance... Interesting, tell us more. No that's it, 40 secs of him talking and a few random bits of footage. Cut to more c***s flying around in Class G. :rolleyes:

Zero real content, more about "real life" stories of rich kids flying round the UK. Not educational or enlightening, and poorly produced and edited.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
1st Sep 2016, 09:58
Heathrow still ticks along all night as I can confirm, having be awoken for some tug to go from A-B many times!

Pity mummy didn't use the soap-in-mouth treatment on you T250......

T250
1st Sep 2016, 10:48
I'm sure LHR does continue all night. And I wanted to hear more about it in the programme. Especially if the BBC as a publicly funded broadcaster goes to all the trouble of getting access at LHR only to broadcast less than 60 secs of footage, in favour of endless drivel about rich kids flying various aircraft around the countryside.

This program is a lost opportunity, more like a soap opera of random rich pilots flying balloons, planes and skydivers showing off.

But never mind, eh :ugh:

NewquayJacob
1st Sep 2016, 20:56
Did they even bother to announce that London information aren't controllers?

JEM60
2nd Sep 2016, 07:16
T250. Most 'rich kids tw..ing about in light aircraft' are not rich kids at all. They have scrimped and saved, and worked hard as hell to pursue a passion that they can ill afford. I know, because I was one of them!!. Disingenous remarks from you.

Hotel Tango
2nd Sep 2016, 10:40
Disingenous remarks from you.

Indeed, these type of remarks tend to be made by those who are jealous/envious of others' achievements!

Il Duce
3rd Sep 2016, 09:25
Let's see if I've got this right. Everything inside controlled airspace over England and Wales is controlled by the controllers at Swanwick and everything outside controlled airspace, including all the GA stuff and hot air balloons and military traffic, is "controlled " by FISOs at Swanwick? That's easy then.

DB6
3rd Sep 2016, 10:35
Excellent series. Worlds better than any number the dancing/cooking/gurning piles of turd that stain the TV schedules for the fascination of the homunculi of this world.
But nothing comes close to the exploits of the SAR crew in the first episode who have my undying admiration. Really, really impressive stuff.

JEM60
3rd Sep 2016, 17:07
DB6. Love aeroplanes, loved flying them [only a PPL] but Senior Management and I also love Ballroom Dancing. Been doing it for years. 'Strictly' tonight. At last, something to watch on a Saturday night. I know it's not to everyone's taste, but I don't like football or golf, but ........ each to his own.

DB6
4th Sep 2016, 15:41
Ha ha, fair point. Maybe not all homunculi then - although if you're a Big Brother fan there's no redemption.

JEM60
5th Sep 2016, 05:25
DB6. Fortunately I shall be redeemed. Regards.:)

Il Duce
7th Sep 2016, 19:25
Whattlesham!?!? Sack the researchers.

AyrTC
7th Sep 2016, 20:27
Well spotted. Also the reverse image of the aircraft near the beginning. This is not the first time the production team have got something back to front. What a dreadful programme and also continuing to show T250's favourite type of private pilot :p

trident3A
8th Sep 2016, 10:04
Thought the bit on the mail guy flying the Navajo single crew was interesting - what a job!

Il Duce
8th Sep 2016, 16:28
Has anyone else spotted the slight mix words of up during the opening sequence? "Every boys little dream."

hatton
8th Sep 2016, 17:08
The PA31 is my alarm clock every morning as he flys over Derby on the way to IOM!

DaveReidUK
8th Sep 2016, 23:09
Strange that the bit about strong winds leading to a reduction in the landing rate at LHR made no mention of time-based separation.

T250
9th Sep 2016, 14:27
Dave, the series is just a selection of 'reality' stories of aviation users.

Seems any opportunity for actual facts and learning/discussion is totally devoid and absent from this series, such as TBS, which is a real shame. :\

Wycombe
9th Sep 2016, 16:37
Thought the bit on the mail guy flying the Navajo single crew was interesting - what a job!

Indeed so, that was the best bit of this weeks programme.

Single pilot, night IFR (in solid IMC), no weather radar - impressive stuff that would probably be lost on most non aviation-minded viewers.

SATCOS WHIPPING BOY
12th Sep 2016, 09:19
I must admit that I found the night solo mail-run section to be a real eyeopener. Probably the most interesting segment in the series so far.
Only downside was that during the item (about 34 minutes into the episode) the controller issues a clearance to another aircraft to climb to FL270, but the read-back from the other pilot is FL290. A missed opportunity to emphasize that it is not all just "words" but that they have meaning and need to be monitored and challenged if incorrect.

I take it that all Mil LARS units are now closed then, seeing as it is all done from Swannick with a map and coloured pins ;)

Hotel Tango
12th Sep 2016, 18:36
A missed opportunity to emphasize that it is not all just "words" but that they have meaning and need to be monitored and challenged if incorrect.

Probably was challenged or corrected but lost in editing.

T250
16th Sep 2016, 16:59
Great final episode of this series! Finally some interesting stuff relevant and revealing, especially the trainee ATCOs and their testing. :D

Cymmon
16th Sep 2016, 17:49
Watching skies above Britain, some gob****e from a group called "Plane Stupid" was so happy that chaining themselves together and closing one of London Heathrows runways from allowing landing saved amazing amounts of pollution..
errr, you stopped them landing, so you caused them to fly for longer, so MORE pollution, you thick people...
more PLAINLY STUPID ...... They should also be sued by the airlines for delays and extra fuel used....

KelvinD
16th Sep 2016, 18:07
The dipstick from Plane Stupid made me smile when she referred to the authorities using an "axle grinder" to cut off the metalwork binding them all together. She also caused me to think of how to deal with them the next time they pull such a stunt. Given that they like to fix themselves to each other with pipes, chains etc, the police should bring up a small crane with some chains, affix these to the idiots and lift them off the runway in one big wriggling lump to a spot where they can all be disconnected and carted off while aircraft movements carry on around them. I bet they wouldn't try the chain yourselves together trick a second time!

Council Van
17th Sep 2016, 11:05
Plane Stupid.

Does she realise how much carbon was pumped into the atmosphere to just make that ring she had in her nose. All the energy to build the gold mine, all the energy to mine the rock the gold is in, all the energy to crush the rock, all the energy to remove the gold from the crushed rock, all the energy to melt the gold, all the energy to ship the gold to the UK, all the energy to light heat and light the workshops in which the ring is manufactured, all the energy to transport the intro the shop, all the energy to heat and light the shop, etc etc etc.

She can go and complain about aviation when she starts living a subsistence carbon neutral life style in the woods.

A hypocrite.

olympus
17th Sep 2016, 16:28
Add me to the list of disappointed but not surprised. Too many references to 'planes' and none to aircraft or aeroplanes.

It's aimed at the lower orders who the producers assume wouldn't be able to grasp anything more technical. (I did find the single-pilot Navajo operation interesting though. Apart from a couple of dead-of-night RHS trips with a friend in a National Airways Navajo, I managed to avoid that type of flying).

Noah Zark.
19th Sep 2016, 08:47
Anyone tell me why the girl learning to fly at Elstree was doing so without wearing any seatbelts, lap or diagonal? I always thought they were compulsory.

JEM60
20th Sep 2016, 08:59
Nice girl, but if she really has taken 25 hrs or so to solo, she has got a long, long way to go to achieve her main ambition.but good luck to her.
I was interested to see her instructor following her through on the control column on take-off after so many hours tho':confused:

Hotel Tango
20th Sep 2016, 14:01
I was interested to see her instructor following her through on the control column on take-off

Wasn't that one of her first take-offs? I believed she was filmed over a period of time. One has to account for editing, which wasn't all that good, especially with some of the ATC stuff too.