PDA

View Full Version : Heart Murmur

chief
1st Jul 2002, 17:14
Can anyone out there offer any advice for people who have been diagnosed with a heart mumur (or to be more techical - Mitral Valve prolapse) and is either in the persuit as a commercial pilot or is one??!!

I fortunately have an unrestricted Class one medical although I have a noticebale mumur. This won't stop me being a pilot or Captain, though it may get worse in years to come and then I would have to have an op which would stop me attaining the level of captain.

I would be really interested to find anyone else who is in the same boat (hopefully not a sinking one!)

Regards

Chief

F.PLANNER
7th Jul 2002, 07:38
HI CHIEF

HAVE YOU HAD A SECOND OPINION ON YOUR DIAGNOSIS?

I WAS TOLD LAST WEEK DURING MY CAA CLASS ONE INITIAL MEDICAL EXAMINATION THAT I HAD AN EJECTION SYSTOLIC MURMUR. I HAD TO GO AND HAVE AN ECHOCARDIOGRAM (ULTRASOUND OF THE HEART) DONE AND TAKE THE RESULTS BACK TO THE AUTHORITY. FORTUNATLY FOR ME I WAS FOUND TO HAVE A NORMAL HEALTHY HEART. THE CAA AGREED AND ISSUED ME WITH A CERTIFICATE.

IF YOU HAVN'T HAD A SECOND OPINION IT MIGHT BE WORTH DOING SO.

BEST OF LUCK.

Hughie
9th Jul 2002, 03:16
Not an AME, but an MD--and a commercial pilot with my own prolapsed mitral valve. I have had no problems with annual renewals. Prolapsed MV rarely progresses to anything important. If no hemodynamically significant mitral regurgitation (i.e., no valve leakage sufficient to affect overall cardiac function), and if no serious heart rhythm abnormalities--with which prolapsed MV sometimes is associated--the likelihood is you won't have any problems.

Good luck-- Hughie

chief
10th Jul 2002, 13:02
F. planner, I have also had an ECG and a holter device fitted prior to receiving the okay from the CAA. They all came back with a noticable murmur but obviously the CAA had found no real problems and gave me a full (non restriced) Class one medical. Although they may as well have checked for a forthcoming heart failure as I had to wait about 3 months to get the little bit of paper!!!

Hughie, thanks for the reply. Always very encouraging to hear of people in the same boat. I didn't know anyone else with the same condition and whom like yourself, is a commercial pilot. Thanks a lot for the peace of mind and now off to finish these bloody ATPL exams!! They're an absolute nightmare.