PDA

View Full Version : F-35B - RAF/RN designation?

Underbolt
8th Aug 2016, 09:52
Apologies if this has been asked and answered elsewhere (I did try and check), but do we yet know what the F-35B will be called - formally, at least - in UK service?

To the best of my knowledge we've never stuck a 'II' at the end of a name, either when using one for the second (or third?) time, or when buying an American type like the Phantom II. In the former case, the original almost always pre-dated the current designation system, so there wasn't any problem making the new one F.1 or GR.1, with the exception of the Harrier II, which jumped straight in as Harrier GR.5.

On that basis is it fair to expect the Lightning FGR.7 (or FGR.8 if it's deemed that the F.7 did actually exist on paper), or is it going to be a law unto itself?

Heathrow Harry
8th Aug 2016, 11:48
Fairey IIIF anyone??

PDR1
8th Aug 2016, 12:00
Well for its last few types (Hawk, Tornado, Typhoon) the RAF has been reviving old Hawker names. SO I'd assumed the UK F-35 would be called the Tempest, or perhaps the Hart/Hind/Demon.

PDR

Martin the Martian
8th Aug 2016, 12:11
I expect it will be the Lightning FG.1, unless we accept it as the F-35B. Remember that the C-17 is still the C-17, even after we bought it outright, and never became the Globemaster C.1.

Treble one
8th Aug 2016, 12:16
Of course the RAF can change their mind in naming new types-IIRC the Airbus A400M was originally to be known as the Grizzly in RAF service (now the Atlas of course).

Or am I having a senior moment?

Underbolt
8th Aug 2016, 12:22
I expect it will be the Lightning FG.1, unless we accept it as the F-35B.

But surely you can only use each mark number once, and Mk 1 was the F.1? Hence Tornado GR.1 and F.2, Typhoon T.1 and F.2 etc.

Remember that the C-17 is still the C-17, even after we bought it outright, and never became the Globemaster C.1.

I did remember that, but haven't we called 51 Sqn's new toys Airseeker R.1 instead of sticking with RC-135W?

Martin the Martian
8th Aug 2016, 12:38
You are correct, as Grizzly was the Airbus name for it. I understand that the then-CAS was heard to mention something like 'over my dead body' before the RAF adopted the name.

Lonewolf_50
8th Aug 2016, 12:49
Why not call it the F-35 the Vampire? It's so stealthy and lowly observable that it can't see its own reflection in a mirror. :E (Not to mention how its cost may suck the blood out of a defense budget ... :} :cool: )

Wander00
8th Aug 2016, 15:07
Canberra II.................hat, coat.........

GeeRam
8th Aug 2016, 15:15
I thought we did a vote thread on this years and years ago......and we ended up with it being called Dave....... :) despite whatever official name the MOD may bestow on the thing :E

PDR1
8th Aug 2016, 15:34
Well yes, but it's a yank. So rather than "Dave" surely we'd call it something like "Hiram T. Lightningsun"

PDR

pr00ne
8th Aug 2016, 15:44
Lightning FG1.

Tankertrashnav
8th Aug 2016, 16:13
As long as they don't call it Planey MacPlaneface I don't really care!

Wrathmonk
8th Aug 2016, 16:22
Planey MacPlaneface

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. Close the thread. ;)

Tourist
8th Aug 2016, 16:38
:D+1..................

Davef68
8th Aug 2016, 17:09
But surely you can only use each mark number once, and Mk 1 was the F.1? Hence Tornado GR.1 and F.2, Typhoon T.1 and F.2 etc.

I did remember that, but haven't we called 51 Sqn's new toys Airseeker R.1 instead of sticking with RC-135W?
Underbolt,

You can reuse the mark numbers when the aircraft is a new type - the Harrier was a greatly updated version, but still a Harrier. The F-35 has no progressional relationship with the old EE product, so it's a new type.

(Actually can't think on an example where the RAF/UK has re-used a name in recent times that was relatively recently in being out of service - several WW2 and earlier ones, but not any in service in the last 50 years or so)

MPN11
8th Aug 2016, 17:20
The English vocabulary is surely sufficiently extensive to allow a new name? Do we have to live in the past?

Union Jack
8th Aug 2016, 21:35
The English vocabulary is surely sufficiently extensive to allow a new name? Do we have to live in the past? - MPN11

It certainly is, so perhaps, certainly so far as future squadron service in the new carriers is concerned, it might almost be named "Mirage" - Oh! hang on.....:=

Jack

skydiver69
8th Aug 2016, 21:41
The English vocabulary is surely sufficiently extensive to allow a new name? Do we have to live in the past?
Lets resurrect 'Dave' which was doing the rounds on PPRuNe a couple of years ago.

PDR1
8th Aug 2016, 22:22
I think we should follow the late and much missed Iain M Banks' concept in naming military equipment. OK, so it may not adapt so well to the naming of aircraft types, but I still think the two CVFs should have been named "HMS Diplomacy Has Failed" and "HMS No More Mr Nice Guy".

PDR

The B Word
8th Aug 2016, 22:45
Jump Jet F@nny and her Hawker-Siddeley Tw@t?

Tourist
9th Aug 2016, 02:55
I think we should follow the late and much missed Iain M Banks' concept in naming military equipment. OK, so it may not adapt so well to the naming of aircraft types, but I still think the two CVFs should have been named "HMS Diplomacy Has Failed" and "HMS No More Mr Nice Guy".

PDR

Great idea!

I think that there are plenty of suitable Culture names for F35, starting with "Grey Area" and of course it's pseudonym!

Buster Hyman
9th Aug 2016, 03:28
The Pretty Gannet for RN?

FinelyChopped
9th Aug 2016, 09:41
PDR1, surely those names would be lacking in sufficient gravitas?

Tourist
9th Aug 2016, 10:17
"Slightly more Gravitas than we hoped"?

VX275
9th Aug 2016, 10:56
The real problem is that this aircraft will not be the second type called Lightning by the RAF, its the third. Of course the first type was only fit to be used as ground targets on the Ashley Walk range.

airborne_artist
9th Aug 2016, 10:59
"Slightly more Gravitas than we hoped"

Jaguar II then? :E

Heathrow Harry
9th Aug 2016, 17:03
Overstrand II

Davef68
10th Aug 2016, 11:44
I'd be surprised if we call it anything other than Lightning, but the mark designator may be fun - do we go RAF style FG mk1 or Navy Style FA mk1?

Or do we use mk 2 to avoid confusing the Colonial Cousins (with it being equivalent to their 'B') - a precedent for out-of-sequence marks having been established with the Voyager.

ORAC
10th Aug 2016, 12:00
Since one of its attributes is reconnaissance, surely that should be FGR.1?

Martin the Martian
10th Aug 2016, 12:05
With regard to reusing old names, the Americans seem to like that sort of thing:

Phantom II, Tiger II, Globemaster III, Thunderbolt II ad nauseam.

And as fr as the RC-135 is concerned, I think I am right in saying that Airseeker was the overall project name, but it is known as the RC-135 in service.

Less Hair
10th Aug 2016, 12:06
How about the Cyclone? (the next storm name)

MPN11
10th Aug 2016, 13:45
Is that the Wright idea, though? ;)

As it's going to be a FBAR type, what else did all those things ... such as the Mosquito?

Courtney Mil
10th Aug 2016, 14:57
Meteorological associations seem popular: Tornado, Typhoon, Hurricane, Wirlwind, Rafale, Lightning, etc. So we could have:

Thunderclap - easily shortened to "The Clap"

Shower - in honour of its development

Damp with Sunny Intervals - reflecting its progress so far.

MPN11
10th Aug 2016, 17:04
Being low-observable, surely the Fog FGR1 ?

Out Of Trim
10th Aug 2016, 17:40
Maybe the Aussies will call their's a Willy-Willy ;):E

Lonewolf_50
10th Aug 2016, 21:31
Being low-observable, surely the Fog FGR1 ?
Why not just call it that (expensive) Fogger, DR 1? :}

chopper2004
10th Aug 2016, 21:51
How about the Cyclone? (the next storm name)
COuld be confused with the RCAF CH-148 Cyclone new all singing all dancing maritime helo,

We could base it on an old iconic workhorse like Scimitar, Swordfish, Javelin, Swift,

cheers

Lonewolf_50
10th Aug 2016, 21:55
COuld be confused with the RCAF CH-148 Cyclone new all singing all dancing maritime helo,

We could base it on an old iconic workhorse like Scimitar, Swordfish, Javelin, Swift,

cheers Given that it's all stealthy, why not something like a ninja weapon:
Shuriken, Wakizashi, or Chokutō?

Genstabler
10th Aug 2016, 22:30
****ehawk FG1.

riff_raff
11th Aug 2016, 01:58
The US kept the name Harrier for their VTOL jet aircraft and the name Pegasus for its engine. The US kept the name Merlin for their R-R designed, but domestically produced V-12 piston engines used in WWII aircraft. On the other hand, the UK kept the name Apache for the AH-64 helos procured from the US.

TBM-Legend
11th Aug 2016, 02:59
Indulgence FGR-1

Heathrow Harry
11th Aug 2016, 11:15
The USAAF also kept the RAF name "Mustang" back in WW2 - they'd planned on "Apache" but it didn't happen

Martin the Martian
11th Aug 2016, 12:15
The Apache was the official name given to the A-36 dive bomber version of the Mustang. In practice it was rarely used, particularly once the P-51 was in widespread use. Boscombe Down had one for evaluation, though it was never given a British mark number.

cattletruck
11th Aug 2016, 13:43
Bumsteer FGR-1

Not just because it has a directional nozzle.

MPN11
11th Aug 2016, 16:53
I will stick to Mosquito. You can't see it but you can certainly hear it ... and then it bites.

And is the F-35 a Bomber or Ground Attack? ... doesn't bombing attack the ground anyway?

Mosquito FBR Mk 1, please ;)

Lonewolf_50
11th Aug 2016, 19:40
I will stick to Mosquito. You can't see it but you can certainly hear it ... and then it bites.

And is the F-35 a Bomber or Ground Attack? ... doesn't bombing attack the ground anyway?

Mosquito FBR Mk 1, please ;)
How about Mosquitwo?

(Mosquito II being incorrect RAFish).

TBM-Legend
11th Aug 2016, 22:44
Don't forget the ladies and those in the middle who might fly them>>

Princess FGRLBGT Mk 1