PDA

View Full Version : The Daily Shave

Peter-RB
7th Aug 2016, 09:04
Or in my case sometime twice daily,

Am I on my own thinking that Razor blades, things like G2 and such multi blade item are vastly over priced...they seem to be the same price in all outlets here in the UK. whilst the same Gillette product can be bought in a Family run supermarket in Cyprus for half price (not special offer..I asked) are we being shaved of funds by some sort of UK marketing agreement..?

SMT Member
7th Aug 2016, 09:38
No, it's not a UK thing - it's much the same in much of Northern and Western Europe. When I used to travel to the US quite a lot, I always brought back a stash of razorblades, as they were less than half price of Europe.

As for why, well, the market will dictate the price. If enough people are willing to pay 100 dingbats for a gizmo, why sell it at 50?

Avtrician
7th Aug 2016, 09:41
They are expensive in Oz as well, or they were. I havent shaved in over 20 years.

Metro man
7th Aug 2016, 09:49
Rip off Britain sound familiar ? All those sponsorhips and expensive adverts have to be paid for some how. Get an old fashioned double edge safety razor instead and buy the blades in bulk for a few cents each instead. While you're at it get a proper shaving brush and shaving soap or cream, not the canned variety. Enjoy a far better shave for a much lower price.

seafire6b
7th Aug 2016, 09:56
Yes, we're being fleeced. For years I've moaned to myself about the seemingly frequent and disproportionate increases on the price of razor blades. Now however, having used a Gillette Sensor for literally decades, I suddenly find I cannot get new blades, it appears they're no longer manufactured.

This subject came up at the pub a couple of months ago and amongst us (men, the ladies kept schtum!), it transpired that the Sensor was the most popular razor.

We decided that down at Gillette HQ, it went something like this:
The bosses say, "Right, we're doing really well but blade sales have reached a ceiling, so what do we do? I know, which razor sells best? It's the Sensor. Okay, we'll simply stop making Sensor blades - if customers cannot get the blades, then they'll all have to buy new razors! That way we'll be creating a sales surge! All agreed? Good, next item on the agenda, Sales Bonuses......".

seafire6b
7th Aug 2016, 10:24
Definitely agree with Metro man there, use a proper shaving brush with a shaving soap block in its own wooden bowl - makes the process feel less of a waste of time and even self-pampering!

handsfree
7th Aug 2016, 10:43
+1
I got fed up paying the rip off prices for blades so reverted back
to a two-edged safety blade, solid soap and a brush. Great shave
and little cost.

Windy Militant
7th Aug 2016, 10:56
I've settled on a regime, which I don't really need these days, which started when I worked out of doors and regularly rode a Motorcycle to work.
For me
BST stands for Beard Shaving Time.
GMT stands for Grow More and Trim.

I usually shave for convenience with, as my mate described it "an electric train".
It's actually one of Mr Phillips devices I've owned for twenty years or so.

I do wet shave on high days and funerals for which I have a Gillette Mach Three which still has two unused blade heads in the special offer free pack of five that came alongside the five blade heads which were normally provided with the razor when bought new.

Akrotiri71
7th Aug 2016, 10:57
Binned the canned variety of shaving foam years ago. Over-priced carp[sic].

Ever wondered why wifey's hair is always soft & creamy-dreamy? She uses conditioner after shampoo-ing. The BEST shaving soap ever. Wash face as normal with hot, soapy water. Rinse. Rub in wifey's hair conditioner. Shave.

VP959
7th Aug 2016, 11:00
The Gillette scam on pricing was on one of the radio consumer programmes here a few weeks ago.

Apparently the gentleman's and ladies version of a particular self-lubricating razor were absolutely identical in construction, with just the colour of the plastic moulding being different, yet the ladies version was much more expensive.

Several female consumers testified that the two razors were identical in function, with some saying they purchased the much cheaper gentleman's version to save money.

IIRC, a spokesman for the company claimed that pricing was set to cover things like the different advertising costs between the two, but when pushed admitted that it really came down to them charging whatever the market would bear.

This latter point is why some things are far more expensive here. We are prepared to pay more. If we, en masse, went and bought a cheaper product then the premium brand manufacturers would have to adjust their pricing. For as long as people are happy to pay more then the prices will stay high.

If you want to save money and still buy premium brand stuff, then look at buying online from places where the prices are lower. If enough people do it then the price in the shops will come down.

yellowtriumph
7th Aug 2016, 11:01
I believe packets of replacement razor blades are near, if not top, of the list of the most commonly stolen items from UK shops - hence why you often see them with security tags etc.

I also have the same beef with new tyres. I'm convinced todays new tyres generally have less tread on them than used to be the case. I once put that to the owner of the small chain of tyre shops here in the UK. He said he wouldn't disagree. Difficult to prove of course even if anyone was interested.

Gertrude the Wombat
7th Aug 2016, 11:03
Rip off Britain sound familiar ?
Not really, as we're talking unnecessary luxury items here - there's no actual need for people to mutilate themselves in order to end up looking different to how nature intended, it's just fashion.

And the higher the price the more VAT is charged, and the more tax that can be collected on unnecessary luxuries the less has to be taken from poor people on essentials. Plus I'm sure my pension fund must have some investment in the razor blade supply chain - so this is a win-win.

seafire6b
7th Aug 2016, 11:32
VP959 said

This latter point is why some things are far more expensive here. We are prepared to pay more. If we, en masse, went and bought a cheaper product then the premium brand manufacturers would have to adjust their pricing. For as long as people are happy to pay more then the prices will stay high.

This applies to many, many items here, and definitely including cars too - little wonder that to manufacturers, the UK has become known as "Treasure Island"!

Windy Militant
7th Aug 2016, 11:37
I believe packets of replacement razor blades are near, if not top, of the list of the most commonly stolen items from UK shops
You beat me to it, they along with disposable lighters were also on the top of the list for lorry hijackings as they were easy to dispose of after the event.

Metro man
7th Aug 2016, 11:40
Quite high on the counterfeiting list as well, be careful with any cheap internet buys.

RAT 5
7th Aug 2016, 12:43
but when pushed admitted that it really came down to them charging whatever the market would bear.

It's called capitalism. Why do Swiss watches cost the most in Switzerland? Are the most expensive cars (X times average) really the most expensive (X times the norm) to R&D and produce?
To many it is the ''to be seen with' snobby attitude. However, to achieve that you need to offer your soft cheeks to be stroked and admired. No tattoos to say "sponsored by Gillette". I wonder what the Aussie lady (who was in shock in another thread) who had her rear end patted would make of such techniques.

Wodrick
7th Aug 2016, 13:02
Quite high on the counterfeiting list as well, be careful with any cheap internet buys.
True, I rarely cut myself (Mach3) but I bought a batch off that bay thing and it was ribbons all the way, bin.

TWT
7th Aug 2016, 13:40
I wonder what the Aussie lady (who was in shock in another thread) who had her rear end patted would make of such techniques.

In the interests of accuracy,she is Canadian,from Ottawa :)

dazdaz1
7th Aug 2016, 15:01
I'm shocked that all you folks use shaving foam, shaving gel is the way to go lasts a lot longer in the container more economical and contains skin moisturisers.

gemma10
7th Aug 2016, 15:48
I like a close shave but only on my face. When are Gillette going to put ten blades in their razors?

ShyTorque
7th Aug 2016, 16:17
Ever wondered why wifey's hair is always soft & creamy-dreamy? She uses conditioner after shampoo-ing. The BEST shaving soap ever. Wash face as normal with hot, soapy water. Rinse. Rub in wifey's hair conditioner. Shave.

:confused: My wife's conditioner costs far more than my shaving foam!

Irritated by the cost of "fashionable" blades, I just bought a pack of ten T**co branded triple blades for 3.50. They fit in my old style razor, rescued from retirement in the back of my bathroom cabinet.

I'll buy another lot of blades sometime next year.

RAT 5
7th Aug 2016, 17:02
How are the electric brigade responding? Over a lifetime they must be way cheaper. And, ever tried shaving with a wetty driving to work?

Ancient Observer
7th Aug 2016, 17:13
It's all about Brands.
Some brands have real pricing power - such as Bell's whisky in the UK. Other brands are losing their power - such as Bird's Eye, where it is clear to most consumers that their frozen fish is the same as Tesco's.
Gillette are spending a lot of money to keep their "brand". As far as I can tell, a Tesco/Sainsbury's razor is just as good as Gillette's. Ditto the gel.
Gillette will end up like Bird's Eye - their innovations just are not different enough.

However, mugs are mugs.
Farrow and Ball costs a lot more than Dulux, and is no better. The mugs love it.

pzu
7th Aug 2016, 17:35
Slight drift
Used to use S foam, then about 15 years back discovered Shaving Oil (Somersets) and found this to be cheaper and far easier on the skin
Now use Nuage from a local Northern multi store between 99p & 1.20 a pop lasts about a month - recently my store was out of stock, searched around & that SA river has it at various prices from 2 to "10" a pop, fortunately found a spare and now the local store is back in stock
On blades use Gillete battery thing - what's the difference between Fusion & Fusion Power apart from price???

PZU - Out of Africa (Retired)

ExXB
7th Aug 2016, 17:41
Law of supply and demand.

The perfect price, from the manufacturers'/distributors' perspective, is what the average punter will pay. The cost to produce the product is irrelevant.

Just ask the airlines.

I don't shave every day, but when I do it's a cheap Bic. No cream either just water for lubrication.

Rwy in Sight
7th Aug 2016, 17:48
I tend to buy the shaving supplies when a buy one get a second free (which happens fairly often recently. A couple of weeks ago I bought 6 Gillette Mach3 for 6.45€ which is a great value for money - or two cans of shaving gels for 3.5 €. Most disposable razors (bought at such prices) are quite good although a particular Gillette product (I don't remember the name) offers a 5-hour shave after that the beard is back.

Gel can be expensive if one is, by mistake, too generous with the quantity because a very small quantity is necessary. Again I have about a 1.5 liter of shaving gel so they will last quite a lot.

I shave my head with the cheapest Bic razor I could find (I asked a cop out of the blue what he used and pointed me to that direction) and I am very happy.

One area I like to save money is the after shave balm. I only use it during summer to give a fresh feeling which is not needed in the winter.

ShyTorque
7th Aug 2016, 19:25
Used to use S foam, then about 15 years back discovered Shaving Oil (Somersets) and found this to be cheaper and far easier on the skin

I tried oil for a while and found that it worked reasonably well but blocked up the head of the razor. Talking of cost, I wonder how the use of olive oil would compare to the "purpose made" product?

vctenderness
7th Aug 2016, 20:02
As a frequent visitor to Turkey I can recommend the proper shave. Lasts over 45 minutes, cut throat razor used, nose, ears and eyebrows included.

Head massage, hot towels, potions and lotions after which you feel a million dollars (or Turkish Lira) all for around 5 sterling.

ORAC
7th Aug 2016, 20:11
stop wingeing - electrolysis is 50 an hour, and requires about 400 hours - and do you have any idea of the cost and type of shampoo, conditioner, makeup remover, moisturiser, let alone makeup and perfume costs....

I spend more on clothes now than I used to spend on cars and computers combined. Then there's routine household maintenance - cleaning, cushions, towels, dishes. Walking into a bachelor pad reminds one of why single cavemen were happy living in caves....

funfly
7th Aug 2016, 20:45
hated shaving, they call it the mens curse!
changed to an Phillips electric two years ago and wondered why I put up with blades for so many years.

gemma10
7th Aug 2016, 20:59
Used an electric razor when I first started shaving at age seventeen. All it accomplished was to spread zits all over my face until I looked like spotty muldoon.

rans6andrew
7th Aug 2016, 21:37
I could never tell the difference in shave results between 2 blade razor, 3 blade razor, 4 blade razor etc. I decided it was just hype. In the end I went a looking for something more cost effective than the big brand blade renewal and I have settled upon 2 blade disposable razor with pivoting head. The supermarket that give me a free coffee every day has them at 1.50 for 10. I find they last me about 3 weeks per razor, shaving my face and neck most days.

Rwy in Sight
7th Aug 2016, 22:29
funfly,

I am with gemma10 on that - I have to find a good electric razor.

rans6andrew, I like your approach.

Smeagol
7th Aug 2016, 22:45
Like rans6andrew, I buy the cheapest 'twin blade' razors available, 0.79 for 10 yesterday in that well known German budget supermarket beginning and ending with L (L**l).

They will last me well into next year.

And I don't normally bother with poncy things like shaving soap, gel etc., just wet face and razor and scrape the offending hair off!

david1300
8th Aug 2016, 04:47
I always chuckle at these sharing threads - specially seeing as the last time I bought any shaving anything was back in the 1970's when I was completing my national service. I've probably saved many hours and $$ over the years

DirtyProp
8th Aug 2016, 05:41
funfly,

I am with gemma10 on that - I have to find a good electric razor.

There's none.
Those contraptions are the work of the devil, I gave up shaving with them about 15 years ago, and I never looked back.
If I'm in a rush I shave under the shower. Otherwise, it's soap and brush.

Also, since everybody's skin is different you have to find a good blade for YOUR skin. If it's good on my skin, doesn't mean it will be good on yours as well.

Pamper your face boys, you deserve it. It's one of the few perks allowed to us.

sitigeltfel
8th Aug 2016, 06:22
One mans fight against Big Blade...

Occupy Your Bathroom - Craftsmanship Magazine (http://craftsmanship.net/occupy-your-bathroom/)

G-CPTN
8th Aug 2016, 11:17
My father-in-law used only a cut-throat razor (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQLgRG4hC0A), whereas my father used a Rolls Razor (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w1IxGeVNow) - which I still have.

Me? I soon moved-on to a Philishave, with a foil-head battery shaver when travelling, though I have been bearded since 1975.
A rechargeable hair trimming/shaver set from ALDI is my current ride.

longer ron
8th Aug 2016, 11:23
I usually buy Tesco own brand shave gel (circa 1)
And Tesco own brand triple blades - they are pretty good - although I haven't bought any blades for quite a while,so hope they still available LOL
I do not shave every day and I use the blades as long as possible (after a shower makes it easier :)) - they seem to keep their 'edge' quite well :)

DroneDog
8th Aug 2016, 12:18
As others have stated its a business and its out to make money, the blades are designed to have a limited life, the gel in a can dries out quickly forcing you to use more gel and hence buy more.
I dropped the multi blade stuff two years ago and bought a good safety razor of Amazon, blades are 2 for 10 sos I use one a day and the gel is 99p a tube and its lasts for weeks buy a good brush.
For me the shave is vastly superior and much much cheaper, it does take slightly longer but my shave last longer throughout the day.

Metro man
8th Aug 2016, 15:33
DORCO have a 6 blade razor so Gillette will come up with a 7 blade one fairly soon.

In America there is the Dollar Shave Club which sends out a certain number of razors per month for a regular subscription, basic twin blade up to multi blade is available as well as other shaving products. There are a few similar services in the UK.

I will suffer canned shaving foam when travelling light as the small sizes are very convenient, but proper shaving cream comes in a tube or a tub and needs to be lathered with a brush. Shaving soap requires a bit more skill in lathering but gives excellent results and works out cheaper.

A real shaving brush is made from badger hair however the cheaper boar bristle version is good with shaving soap as it scrubs up the lather a bit better.

I use an electric shaver, wet and dry version with shaving cream, once or twice a week if I have an early start and need speed over quality.

Have a look at Home - Badger & Blade (http://www.badgerandblade.com) for serious discussion on the art of shaving.