PDA

View Full Version : Bose A20 compatible with foam earplugs?

flatspin1
7th Aug 2016, 02:04
Hi everyone,
I am a student flying r22 and am thinking of buying better headset to protect my hearing as I already have slight loss in one ear due to firearm exposure.

I usually fly with passive reduction school headset + foam earplugs. The noise reduction is fine but sometimes it is difficult to understand tower on a bit unfamiliar instructions. English being my second language doesn't help either.

I had a courtesy to try Bose A20 one time without earplugs and while it seemed very comfy and had quality sound it didn't seem to be as effective as passive headset + foam plugs combo.

I thought i will just buy A20 and wear earplugs for a superior cancellation but then I read that ANR isn't really compatible with foam plugs and it results in reduced performance? Does it mean that noise is worse if earplugs are in place?
What would be the best protection combo if hearing preservation is the main concern?

Thank you

rjtjrt
7th Aug 2016, 03:47
If you want best ear protection with excellent acoustics for understanding coms, then cep ear plug system fitted to a David Clark passive headset is my advice.
You can buy a secondhand David Clark passive set on ebay, etc, and either fit the cep kit yourself, or get someone else to do it for you.
I used Red Baron at Yarrawonga Airport in Victoria. They fitted it. Can't recall the charge to fit it.

https://www.redbaronalse.com.au/home/shop/product/684-cep-communications-ear-plug.html

I was not aware of the anr problem with foam ear plugs. Someone else would need to comment on that.

pj98321
7th Aug 2016, 05:41
I use a SPH5 helmet with custom earmold CEP's. Works great in a Huey even with doors open.