PDA

View Full Version : What on earth is up with these people?

Seldomfitforpurpose
4th Aug 2016, 15:59
It simply defies any kind of logic

Why do people grab their bags after a plane crash? - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36977903)

Not only getting luggage out of overhead lockers but filming it on mobile phones and generally getting in the way of people trying to evacuate a crashed aircraft.....

Captain Dart
4th Aug 2016, 21:38
They certainly weren't in a hurry for Emirexit.

Gertrude the Wombat
4th Aug 2016, 22:18
Prosecute for endangering, disobeying the lawful commands of the captain, whatever, and ban from flying for life.

evansb
4th Aug 2016, 22:19
They are normal human beings, most were going to work in a foreign country for wages you would never work for, under conditions you would never work under. Most of their worldly belongings are in their carry-on. Every one got out alive. Empathy anyone...?

radeng
4th Aug 2016, 23:34
You can see that if the crash occurs in a foreign country, you really need passport, money/credit cards and any medicines you need regularly. How long would it take the airline or whoever to get you a load of drugs - in my case, for example, insulin, metformin, atenolol, atorvastatin, furosemide, loparamide, losartan, gabapentin, digoxin, ranitidine and warfarin, even if I could remember the exact dosages?

I thus tend to make sure that the drugs, insulin syringe, wallet and passport are close to hand for take off and landing.....

And it's good job that in the UK, drugs for diabetics and those over 62 years of age are free.....

G-CPTN
4th Aug 2016, 23:39
So, perhaps there is a demand for some sort of 'wallet' with a string around your neck (like those map pouches used by ramblers and hikers)?

Avitor
4th Aug 2016, 23:42
Flight crew of all ranks will be last off that aircraft, passengers should have them in mind when emergencies occur and shift themselves.

radeng
4th Aug 2016, 23:47
G-CPTN

I have a relatively small bag that can do just that........It can also take the blood glucose meter.....and spare shirt, underwear, socks, razor and toothbrush. Hangs round the neck against the chest.....

But this business of grabbing the carry on monster suitcase is just stupid - but they do it. Worse is that they block the bloody exits with their crap! I believe that they always have done it as well.....way back in the 1950s and before...

radeng
4th Aug 2016, 23:51
Avitor

Flight crew of all ranks will be last off that aircraft,

Unfortunately, in too many cases, they weren't until their bodies were removed. The bravery and self sacrifice demonstrated by an awful lot of flight crews - I think especially CC - doesn't seem to be recognised to the extent it should be.

ExSp33db1rd
5th Aug 2016, 00:26
So, perhaps there is a demand for some sort of 'wallet' with a string around your neck (like those map pouches used by ramblers and hikers)?

Mrs. ExS. did that with her passport departing LAX. TSA Goon demanded that it be removed, only allowed 1 hand baggage plus one "personal" item, that's a third, get it off.

I insisted that she put it at the bottom of her "purse" ( large personal item ) and take 5 minutes to find it every time it was required. We delayed the queue very successfully. Serve 'em right, sorry if you were behind us.

I wear a "Safari" shirt with voluminous pockets, now my travel uniform, stuff the Fashion Police, and the pockets take untold kilos of unweighed "essential" crap. S'easy.

G-CPTN
5th Aug 2016, 01:02
Mrs. ExS. did that with her passport departing LAX. TSA Goon demanded that it be removed, only allowed 1 hand baggage plus one "personal" item, that's a third, get it off.
That takes 'jobsworths' to the extreme - though I suppose if you allow one passenger to get away with it then others will adopt the habit and use it for other 'luggage'.

vapilot2004
5th Aug 2016, 01:25
TSA Goon demanded that it be removed, only allowed 1 hand baggage plus one "personal" item, that's a third, get it off.

TSA goon or airline gate agent? The scanners have a requirement of nothing but clothing on the body, allowing the screen viewer the best chance of detecting 'bombs' or weapons.

This is the first I have heard of TSA attempting to enforce airline carry on limitations - but anything is possible. LAX is known locally for their sometimes overzealous TSA goons, whilst SFO to the north is typically the opposite.

MarcK
5th Aug 2016, 01:25
Most people don't fly very often, and probably don't read the rants on PPRuNe. They (rightly) don't trust the airline to make a priority of returning their items in the overhead, and don't trust the airline not to "lose" things like laptops, cameras, cell phones.

Given that virtually every evacuation has folks taking their carry-on, perhaps the evacuation criteria for certification should allow for that.

Nervous SLF
5th Aug 2016, 03:37
They are the same stupid imbeciles that voted for brexit, and who think 'Boaty Mc Boat Face' is a great name for a ship..

Oh please, Brexit won so get over it. :rolleyes:

Any how I 100% agree with Radeng

'You can see that if the crash occurs in a foreign country, you really need passport, money/credit
cards and any medicines you need regularly. How long would it take the airline or whoever to get
you a load of drugs - in my case, for example, insulin, metformin, atenolol, atorvastatin,
furosemide, loparamide, losartan, gabapentin, digoxin, ranitidine and warfarin, even if I could
remember the exact dosages?"

Tankertrashnav
5th Aug 2016, 09:50
For those of you who (understandably) rarely or never venture to the top of the page there is quite a big thread on this subject on R & N

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/582533-how-about-fine-prison-taking-luggage-down-slide.html

Some quite good ideas, and not all of the "lock 'em up" variety. The secure overhead lockers seems to be a good idea, as does the passport/phone/credit cards somewhere about your person so you don't need your bag when you exit.

(Blimey SLF, that's quite a list. No wonder you're nervous!)

Pace
5th Aug 2016, 10:19
How about a fine/prison ? How ridiculous! Firstly the chances of you being in such a situation is minute. You don't get on an airline kitting yourself up for a crash.

" Have to keep my passport medicines separate in case we crash."

Secondly for the very few who do experience such an event and survive maybe 1 in a million will not know how they will react some will sit there frozen to their seats unable to move with fear are you going to fine them too?

How would a fine imprisonment stand up in a court of law where the person charged was considered to not be of right mind or responsible for his/her actions
I am sure most experiencing a terrifying crash would fit that category

God some crap is written

Seldomfitforpurpose
5th Aug 2016, 17:37
How about a fine/prison ? How ridiculous! Firstly the chances of you being in such a situation is minute. You don't get on an airline kitting yourself up for a crash.

" Have to keep my passport medicines separate in case we crash."

Secondly for the very few who do experience such an event and survive maybe 1 in a million will not know how they will react some will sit there frozen to their seats unable to move with fear are you going to fine them too?

How would a fine imprisonment stand up in a court of law where the person charged was considered to not be of right mind or responsible for his/her actions
I am sure most experiencing a terrifying crash would fit that category

God some crap is written
Sorry but if the first thing some single celled life form can think about, having survived a crash landing and been ordered to emergency evacuate an aircraft is to take out a mobile phone and video proceeding you have to ask yourself WTF!!!

Anyone with an IQ above a tortoise level would be able to work out that aircraft that crash or crash land often catch fire with all the disastrous consequences that entails so who in their bloody right mind is going to hang about making a movie or gathering there luggage etc, it really is Darwin Award stuff.

sitigeltfel
5th Aug 2016, 18:12
For many of those unsophisticated pax, it could have been their first flight. Maybe they thought the landing was normal! ;)

uffington sb
5th Aug 2016, 19:29
SFFP.
I should think that video will be shown to trainee CC right after the company evacuation training lesson where all pax are company employees, all young and fit, know what's coming and don't take out cabin baggage.
"Right you lot, that is what should happen, and this is what you can expect in real life!"

Seldomfitforpurpose
5th Aug 2016, 21:49
SFFP.
I should think that video will be shown to trainee CC right after the company evacuation training lesson where all pax are company employees, all young and fit, know what's coming and don't take out cabin baggage.
"Right you lot, that is what should happen, and this is what you can expect in real life!"
I used to teach this subject to folk on the C130 OCU and we used to use the footage from the Manchester Air Disaster, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airtours_Flight_28M

Its why this sort of thing really makes my blood boil!!!

NutLoose
6th Aug 2016, 00:49
One thing I always thought they should do is ban duty free booze from the aircraft, I cannot see the point of carrying a flammable fluid in the overhead lockers, especially in a crash.
By all means sell it in your departure country but issue a token to redeem at the destination airport.

G-CPTN
6th Aug 2016, 10:04
By all means sell it in your departure country but issue a token to redeem at the destination airport.
The problem with that is that passengers have time to wait between checking in and boarding, whereas when they reach their destination they want to escape as soon as possible - especially as they might have had to wait to collect their baggage (I suppose you could issue the duty-free in the baggage hall) and immigration and customs.
Another problem would be that the money would be paid in the departure location, whereas the collection point would have to be financed in the arrival location.

Seldomfitforpurpose
6th Aug 2016, 10:08
If each passenger purchased a litre of spirits as carry on luggage how would that amount compare with the amount of Jet A1 reqd in tanks for landing?