PDA

View Full Version : Protecting Identity and personal family photos from the Media

GhostofGoose
4th Aug 2016, 11:49
Hi guys I'm a first time poster motivated by something I've noticed in the media of late.

I've been surprised on more than one occasion how easy it is for the media to hack into Pilot Facebook accounts and grab photos to publish in their newspapers. A while back, intimate family photos of a tragic situation involving a pilot suicide was published with the caption "source facebook" In my mind this was absolutely disgusting.

Just today the same thing.. the picture of an Australian pilot involved in an incident overseas. Again the caption of the photo was "source facebook". I'm sure neither he or his family would appreciate that!

I think my facebook page is reasonably secure to the public, and I don't think any of my friends would leech to the media. Is there any way the media can gain access to images on private profiles? Or after a facebook page has been shut down? Does anyone have any advice for Aussie pilots on how to "media proof" your social media? I'm seriously considering pulling everything off.

I'm sure this will attract some cynical responses, but I think it's worth wading through to get any worthwhile advice and maybe an insight into the powers the media may have over what we think is secure..

Cheers.

717tech
4th Aug 2016, 14:13
Unfortunately I think the only answer is to not use social media. But I'd hazard a guess and say that if you have every used it, it's too late.

Captain Nomad
4th Aug 2016, 14:53
This is one of the reasons why I'm not on facebook or any of the other 'personal broadcasting' sites...

LLuCCiFeR
4th Aug 2016, 16:03
Facebook is today's equivalent of East Germany's secret service, the StaSi, the best thing is to avoid it all together.

I cancelled my account many many years ago when Facebook's so-called 'privacy' policy was becoming more and more invasive, and my social life actually improved and the friends I now have are real friends, as opposed to having a band of superficial airheads on your "friends list" who never show any interest in you as a person but only like to post pictures of how 'cool' their life is.

Unfortunately, in today's superficial world many pilots are on Facebook and most are either too stupid or too ignorant to adequately shield their privacy and photos. :ugh:

WannaBeBiggles
4th Aug 2016, 18:20
They're not hacking FB, if you read the T&C's FB own the photos as soon as you post them and have the right to sell them...

tail wheel
4th Aug 2016, 19:31
And if you publish photos to internet social media they are in the public domain and may be used without your consent.

You have a simple decision, read the social media terms and conditions and decide whether you wish to participate or abstain.

I don't believe this an aviation related matter or a matter for PPRuNe.