PDA

View Full Version : Importing photos to iPhoto from 'Unpaired' iPhone

mcdhu
4th Aug 2016, 08:04
My son has an iPhone 6 given to him by his work which is not to be used for private use.
However, he went on holiday and took loads of pice when his own iPhone 5 ran out of space.
It is easy to import the photos into iPhoto from his 5 which is known to my iMac, but how do I import the photos from his 6 into the iMac without 'pairing' it to the Mac. I guess his IT department will have set up the 6 and I have no wish to interfere with that.
What are the possibilities? Email - probably too many. Bluetooth?
Can any Apple aficionados please help with some ideas.
Many thanks for wading through this post.
mcdhu

andytug
4th Aug 2016, 08:29
Depends how locked down the IPhone is with it being a work phone, Bluetooth or Airdrop may or may not be available, if not email might be only option. Or possibly Imessage / txt.
My works iPhone is so locked down that email is pretty much it.

ExXB
4th Aug 2016, 12:51
My iOS 9 device gives me sharing options of Mail, Message, Twitter, Facebook, iCloud and flickr.

Select the pictures, touch share (box icon with upward arrow) choose your conveyance.

mcdhu
4th Aug 2016, 14:48
Thanks ExXB. Th size of the email seems to be the problem now!
mcdhu

ExXB
5th Aug 2016, 06:59
ICloud then. The default (free) capacity is 5GB - and additional is quite inexpensive.

Background Noise
5th Aug 2016, 07:45
Are you using iphoto or the newer photos - how up to date is your Mac OS?

You may be able to airdrop the files across to your Mac depending on your OS.

mcdhu
5th Aug 2016, 10:59
Thanks BN.
Yes, I'm using Photos 1.5 (370.42.0)
It's a late 2009 iMac with 8G of memory running El Capitan OS 10.11.6.
The iPhone is a 6 with OS version 9.2.1 (13D15) and has not yet been upgraded to 9.3.4
If you could give me some basic instruction on how to Airdrop across, I would greatly appreciate it.

Background Noise
5th Aug 2016, 12:35
I don't think you need to pair the phone to the computer. I've just tried it with my phone and my partner's mac. Don't complicate things by having iTunes open or it will start asking you to sync with the new phone - so close iTunes.

Using Photos - Connect the phone and Photos will probably open automatically. You will be asked on the phone whether you want to trust the Mac, say yes. In Photos, in the menu pane on the left, under import, click on the phone and all the iPhone pictures should begin to show as thumbnails on the mac. Click the ones you want to import, or CMD A to select them all, or select 'import all new' at the top, then import. There is a tick box if you want to delete them all once imported but I am always a bit worried I will delete them from the device but not actually import them, so I usually import then go back and manually delete the pics from the phone once I am happy I have them all saved.

For airdrop - make sure airdrop is enabled on your phone - swipe up from the bottom of the screen to open control centre, then tap on airdrop, and select everyone. Enable it on your mac - open a finder window, click airdrop, then set 'enable me to be discovered' to everyone. Go to photos on your phone, select a photo, then hit the share icon (bottom left with an arrow coming out of a box) and if your mac is nearby and unlocked, you should see it in the airdrop pane. Once you have a connection, you can tap all of the photos you want to airdrop, and send them all at once. By default they will go into your downloads folder.

mcdhu
5th Aug 2016, 12:57
Brilliant! Thanks BN.
I'll give those options a try when I can persuade the owner of the phone to spare me some time (it's time he was back at work!!)
mcdhu

Background Noise
5th Aug 2016, 13:52
I suppose I should have added the 'try it at your own risk' warning.

Apple iDevices aren't as bad as they used to be, although not as unchained as others. I remember connecting an early iPod to the computer, and because the pictures weren't on the computer, lost them all on the iPod. Airdrop is, I suppose, less intrusive - but slower than a cable connection.

mcdhu
5th Aug 2016, 14:33
Job done!
First option using Photos without opening iTunes first worked a treat.
Many thanks
mcdhu