PDA

View Full Version : iMac 7.1 on Mavericks issues

Carrier
1st Aug 2016, 22:03
I have two concerns with our iMac. Has it been hacked or is some sort of instability developing?

We have a 2 GHz iMac 7.1 running Mavericks 10.9.5. It has 6GB Ram. We use Firefox. OSX was upgraded to Mavericks when it was released. The iMac worked fine. Then OSX was upgraded to Yosemite. This was unstable and clunky to use so Mavericks was reinstalled a year ago. This has worked fine but recently two issues have appeared.

Software Update is run every week and all Security, iTunes, Safari and other updates are installed. There was no problem until I recently tried to run Software Update. Instead of the usual response, a window opened asking for a FaceTime Password. Trying again resulted in another window asking for an iMessage Password. Each time the window asked me to enter my password for a gmail address that is rarely used. I clicked on “Cancel” each time. We have never used either of these apps. A quick online search showed that others have experienced the same issue. Following the online advice I then (for the first time) opened these apps and ensured that they were turned off. The problem has not happened since. What caused it?

Next, we save some documents and screen shots on the Desktop. On booting these normally show as small versions of the Pages, docx, png or pdf documents. Recently sometimes on booting these documents show as small generic icons for Pages, jpg or pdf. Surely they should show the same every time, as they did until a few weeks ago. Why is there this instability?

I have run Sophos Anti-Virus and Disc Utility. Sophos does not find any problem and Disc Utility shows the same few minor issues that it has always shown.

When we had a PowerMac 6100/66 it was necessary to occasionally reinstall the OS and to reset the PRAM. Is there some similar process needed for OSX? The odd part is that these problems have appeared in just the past four or five weeks.

I will appreciate some advice.

ExXB
2nd Aug 2016, 09:48
Passwords. The 'Facetime' and 'iMessage' passwords are the same; Your Apple ID password.
Apple ID is your email address. Is there any chance you registered your Apple ID using that gmail address?

See https://support.apple.com/apple-id for more information and possible solutions.

Desk Icons. Try repairing your permissions using Disk Utility: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201560

Have you considered upgrading to El Capitan? Improvement on Yosemite.

Carrier
11th Aug 2016, 15:32
ExXB, thanks for the response.

The gmail address is our Apple ID. It has been so for several years without activating Facetime and iMessage. These are apps we have never tried to use. The mystery is what changed a few weeks ago to activate these two apps without any known action from us?

We regularly run Disk Utility. I ran it again on our iMac after reading your response. The HD checked out fine, as it always does. Permissions repair provided the following:
Repairing permissions for “Macintosh HD” Permissions differ on “Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Resources/Safari.help/Contents/Resources/index.html”; should be lrwxr-xr-x ; they are -rwxr-xr-x .Repaired “Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Resources/Safari.help/Contents/Resources/index.html”Warning: SUID file “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent” has been modified and will not be repaired.
Permissions repair complete

Permissions repair on our Macbook Air which also runs on 10.9.5 gave this:
Repairing permissions for “Macintosh HD” Permissions differ on “System/Library/CoreServices/Feedback Assistant.app”; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are lrwxr-xr-x .Repaired “System/Library/CoreServices/Feedback Assistant.app”Warning: SUID file “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent” has been modified and will not be repaired.Permissions differ on “Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Resources/Safari.help/Contents/Resources/index.html”; should be lrwxr-xr-x ; they are -rwxr-xr-x .Repaired “Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Resources/Safari.help/Contents/Resources/index.html”Group differs on “Library/Printers/InstalledPrinters.plist”; should be 80; group is 0.Permissions differ on “Library/Printers/InstalledPrinters.plist”; should be -rw-rw-rw- ; they are -rw-r--r-- .Repaired “Library/Printers/InstalledPrinters.plist”
Permissions repair complete

Sometimes the additional repairs shown for the MB Air also happen with the iMac. As before, the generic icons still occasionally show for items saved on the iMac's Desktop. The occasional generic icons issue has not appeared on the MB Air.

The What’s New notes with the recent upgrade to Firefox 48.0 advise:
“Starting with the Firefox version 49 release, so long to support for 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8. Now we can focus on where most Mac users are: 10.9. Don't forget to upgrade!”
Apple must agree there are many Mavericks users as it fully supports them. On 18 July I installed Security Update 2016-004 Version 10.9.5, Safari 9.1.2 and iTunes 12.4.2 on both the iMac and the MB Air.

We have been satisfied with Mavericks. It has worked fine for 2.5 years on the MB Air. It was also good on the iMac until I made the regrettable change to Yosemite. After changing back - a major task - Mavericks worked fine for a year until a few weeks ago when this strange event happened. This has not happened again but we wonder why it did and if there is any significance to it and the occasional appearance of generic icons for documents saved on the iMac's Desktop.

ExXB
14th Aug 2016, 17:16
Desktop icons can take up a surprising amount of processing speed/power. They need a lot of background stuff to keep them correct and active. One simple fix is to put them away or, if you really want them on the desktop, put them into a folder on the desktop. They'll be updated whenever the folder is opened, so you won't notice the difference but they won't take up so much background effort.