PDA

View Full Version : The essence of GA is still out there

Clinton McKenzie
1st Aug 2016, 21:51
Went on a quick cross country flight with a colleague on Sunday. On arrival at the place where the dart happened to have fallen on the map, we found the local flying club was locked up. We asked one of the locals whether there was a taxi service to the nearby town, so we could get some lunch.

He gave us the key to his car. A Mercedes AMG. (I think that's the first time I've ever been in a Mercedes. I insisted that my colleague drive. We were very, very careful ....). A nice lunch ensued.

We purchased a nice bottle of red to thank him and, fortunately, he was a red drinker.

It reminded me of the time the Chief Pilot of a flying operation at a remote location we'd lobbed into gave us the keys to his car and said: "I'm off on a charter for a few days. Park it over there when you're finished with it."

There are many, many more stories like that.

These kinds of experiences are almost unique to GA.

aroa
2nd Aug 2016, 00:06
But there's the rub The essence of GA may smell sweet in the outback but in (Non) Aviation House, Cantberra its putrid.

Capt Fathom
2nd Aug 2016, 00:20
He gave us the key to his car. A Mercedes AMG

He is obviously not a pilot!

Jabawocky
2nd Aug 2016, 03:08
Obviously?

You don't know many pilots then. :hmm:

Clinton, long time no speak (or is that read?)

Did you end up in Charleville? I know a pilot who let me drive his Piper Tailed Dr Killer and his AMG. HOLY HELL that thing goes like a dog shot up the A$$.

Come to think of it I know another, was in the ISA but now at YRED, completely different model (big expensive turbo V8 thing) and I reckon that would give your gyro's a toppling too!

Great story :ok:

Clinton McKenzie
2nd Aug 2016, 09:52
High there Jabba! Long time no see/read. I understood you were 'stateside'.

I haven't been to Charleville for a while, but my memories of the last visit are very positive. (Gerry 111 might be able to narrow down the dates.)

When are you next venturing South of the Mexican border? I can organise you a nice hangar space and waive the landing fee and TNCs! :ok:

gerry111
2nd Aug 2016, 11:06
Clinton, The Charleville visit was overnight 8th-9th Sept 2000 in a TR182RG.

On a later trip to somewhere else, we were loaned an old ute to go to lunch. At at a place on the NSW South coast a hire car lady very kindly loaned me her car for free as the local taxi had been pranged that morning.

Sunday's the first time that I've driven a Merc..

Despite all the GA gloom, I still massively enjoy the adventure of it! :)

Sunfish
2nd Aug 2016, 21:12
Visit Arkaroola resort, Doug Sprigg usually has a station ute for you to run around. We once had Margs Sahara waiting for us behind the. hangar. "Gee, this is great! I thought, a real step up from ARK003", then I turned on the air conditioner ....and covered the pair of us in half an inch of red dust!:)

Aussie Bob
2nd Aug 2016, 23:44
Despite all the GA gloom, I still massively enjoy the adventure of it! http://cdn.pprune.org/images/smilies/smile.gif

So well put Gerry!
Clinton, I know I am not one of your favorite posters on this forum but it is great to see you back. I have missed your input.

Clinton McKenzie
3rd Aug 2016, 10:50
Gosh AB, I didn't realise I had a 'favourites' list. If I did, you wouldn't not be on it. If that makes sense...

I've always been here. But because I'm such a shy and retiring type, I rarely post.

Arkaroola's my close second most favourite destination, Sunfish. William Creek is #1. Forrest is in the top 3. Have been given keys to cars at all those locations.

Go flying to these places, everyone! Go back again, if you've already been there!

gerry111
4th Aug 2016, 08:31
Sunfish,
As you also know, ARK-002 and ARK-003, the Arkaroola Toyota troop carriers sure aren't air cond! :)

Sunfish
4th Aug 2016, 11:21
Gerry, marg had a red 80 series Sahara that was the one I mean. In any case it was called "Margs" but I think Marg was actually driving something much better by then.The Ark has a great menagerie of vehicles and Doug is very generous with their use by visiting pilots.

I'm hoping one day to take the new toy back there for Doug to have a fly in. I love the place!

gerry111
4th Aug 2016, 15:23
Sunfish,

I've only flown into and stayed at Arkaroola twice over the years. But the eminently introverted Clinton McKenzie and I have flown overhead many times. Particularly to check out the Ridgetop Tour and Siller's Lookout.

It's such a great GA destination. Doug Sprigg and his team are such fine hosts and will always find space for visiting aircraft in his hangar.

On a recent fly over the Flinders Ranges in June, we checked out Beverley Camp. We received a call on CTAF from them asking whether we would be landing there, as we were unplanned. We replied that we were sightseeing only. The mines don't like people just dropping in.

Please get your aircraft flying and we'll look forward to meeting you, one day at a wonderful destination. :)

Sunfish
5th Aug 2016, 11:11
Gerry, there is no finer flight then from Broken Hill, loaded with the latest newspapers and women's magazines for the staff at the Ark and perhaps a feeler gauge or some tool for Doug, out over the Mundi Mundi plain and then Lake Frome comes to great you.

Continue across Frome aiming for Balcanoona. I then parallel the ranges and drop down to Sillers. Wave at the visitors then continue over the ridge to the Ark and down the valley to the strip. It's a wonderful trip with wonderful hospitality and scenery.

Last time I was there, Dick had arrived in the Caravan, his partner in crime, Prof. Ian Plimer and a stack of school kids learning science were there under the watchful eye of Doug and a great time was had by all.

I want to know if the mice got into the Auster or if it's flying.