PDA

View Full Version : Aeroplane Magazine - Fighter Command Special Issue - August 2016

Warmtoast
1st Aug 2016, 20:24
I bought a copy of the August 2016 Aeroplane Fighter Command Special issue and was intrigued by the large poster-sized pull out featuring various Fighter Command aircraft from 1938 - 1968, intrigued because the poster contained a picture of Swift F1 WK207 of 56 squadron. The selfsame aircraft that I photographed at the Royal Observer Corps "Recognition Day" whilst stationed at Biggin Hill way back in 1954.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/Biggin%20Hill%20Early%201950s/SWIFT%20from%20Aeroplane%20Mag%20Aug%202016_zpsbpnz5dtb.jpg
In the early 1950's it was the custom for a variety of RAF, RN and USAF aircraft to be flown in to Biggin Hill so that members of the Royal Observer Corps and the Army Anti-Aircraft Command (then an integral part of the UK’s air defences) could examine up close on the ground the friendly aircraft they were expected to recognise in the air.

I took this photo of 56 Sqn (Waterbeach - based) Swift F1 WK207 ‘N’ complete with squadron red and white checkerboard markings. The Swift was introduced into the RAF in February 1954, becoming the RAF's first swept-wing aircraft, but unfortunately, because of major control problems when flying at high altitude which resulted in several accidents, they were grounded for a while in August 1954 whilst attempts were made to sort out the aircraft's problems.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/Biggin%20Hill%20Early%201950s/56%20Sqn%20Swift%20Mk%201_zpsdrpeyfib.jpg
As can be seen it was the object of attention for Biggin based airmen (and others) normally used to Meteor Mk 8’s.
In the background a USAF B-45 from Sculthorpe and just visible two USAF F-86's from Manston can be seen.

sycamore
1st Aug 2016, 20:39
It also featured at the end of `Ours is the Sky`,a Pathe film about Cramfull trainees...

NutLoose
1st Aug 2016, 21:10
It also includes a fascinating incite into the loss of the six Hunter and the surmised failings of the BofE in holding those that should have been to account and the authors opinion that it was partly to do with concealing the facts that the RAF's all weather Hunter fighter wasn't.