PDA

View Full Version : Military Helicopter Pilot to HK or Taiwan-based Airline Pilot

justanotherhumanoid
1st Aug 2016, 17:24
Esteemed flyers, fellow wannabes, and experienced Pilots,

I'm a military helicopter pilot that also has some fixed-wing quals and time(about 125h of single engine fixed wing with commercial and instrument ratings). My goal is to eventually get a job in Hong Kong or Taiwan, ideally with a HK or TW-based airline, and I'm posting now to get some advice on the best way to go about getting from my current, underqualified status, to hired, whether that means into a training program or via direct entry. Here's what I see my options as:

1. There are US-based airlines that would pay for training through a restricted ATP and then hire me on while I build hours towards an unrestricted. My helicopter time would let me apply for an ATP at 750 instead of 1500 hours, at which point I could apply for jobs with HK or TW-based airlines. This is a two-year contract.
2. I am not a Hong Kong permanent resident, so I am not eligible for the Cathay Cadet Program. I do see that they have an Advanced Entry Program which I might be eligible for if I had more fixed-wing time, and/or a multi-engine rating. I could potentially pay for this additional training and time myself, at significant cost, and then apply via that route. I would likely have to find work as a helicopter pilot/something else in the meantime to finance the training/flying.
3. Build time and experience as a CFI and/or commercial pilot on a multi-engine platform somewhere, then apply for direct entry as a non-type rated pilot to anywhere that is hiring those types in Hong Kong or Taiwan.

Very interested in what everyone's opinions are on which option might be best/fastest, and if there might be other options that I am unaware of. I welcome all input - thanks very much.

-Justanotherhumanoid