PDA

View Full Version : BBC cocks it up.

chevvron
31st Jul 2016, 20:37
Looked forward to BBC coverage of the London/Surrey cycle race, but they cocked it up several ways:
Failed to keep the viewer continually informed exactly where the cyclists were (only occasionally).
20 min gap in coverage between ceasing transmissions on Freeview 601 before re-commencing coverage on 101 HD, the 20 min period being used firstly for the last part of 'Songs of Praise', then boring interviews.
Multiple interruptions in coverage in the last crucial 10 min from both motor bike and helicopter cameras when the lead changed more than once.

Hempy
31st Jul 2016, 20:46
Are you admitting that the French do it better??

p.s they do. Even the one day classics are covered better by the French than even the Giro or the Vuelta

wiggy
31st Jul 2016, 21:14
It was carp wasn't it, especially some of the p poor attempts to paper over the cracks....but I wonder who was contracted to provide the coverage, was it the Beeb or somebody else?

Eurosport were also meant to be showing it but TBH I only watch their coverage if Marion Rousse is involved...I wonder if they had the same problems?

Edit to add: looks from initial reports as if the BBC are carrying the can for the breakdown:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/jul/31/bbc-criticised-for-losing-pictures-of-climax-of-london-cycle-race

EGLD
31st Jul 2016, 21:19
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CossRIUUIAAXlVL.jpg

Planet Basher
31st Jul 2016, 21:27
We need a Like button.

TWT
31st Jul 2016, 22:31
Could be as simple as ATC not allowing the TV air assets ( rotary + fixed wing) to be where they needed to be for a period of time.

chevvron
1st Aug 2016, 10:48
Could be as simple as ATC not allowing the TV air assets ( rotary + fixed wing) to be where they needed to be for a period of time.
It's class D airspace so what would be the reason?

PDR1
1st Aug 2016, 10:50
They were all watching the Grand Prix at the time like proper people?

:)

PDR

Sallyann1234
1st Aug 2016, 11:51
The BBC, like the other major broadcasters, have de-skilled to save money. They no longer have their own in-house crews to cover outside broadcasts. They now have to commission one or more independent companies, who may bring in freelancers to augment their technical staff as required.

There is always a danger of things going wrong when staff are not fully familiar with each other or with the equipment they are using.

This situation is of course common in many industries, as other posters here will recognise.

chevvron
1st Aug 2016, 14:36
The BBC, like the other major broadcasters, have de-skilled to save money. They no longer have their own in-house crews to cover outside broadcasts. They now have to commission one or more independent companies, who may bring in freelancers to augment their technical staff as required.

There is always a danger of things going wrong when staff are not fully familiar with each other or with the equipment they are using.

This situation is of course common in many industries, as other posters here will recognise.
Not all freelancers are 'inadequate'. I work (FISO) occasionally with a bloke who freelanced for several BBC productions eg the original 'Masterchef' and original 'Through the Keyhole' when they were both fronted by Lloyd Grossman; never heard any complaints.

wiggy
1st Aug 2016, 15:29
TBF it's not unknown for UK broadcasters to use French assets to cover bike races and even then there have been problems.

Cycling fans let down as TV footage fails at Tour de Yorkshire race (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cycling/2016/04/30/cycling-fans-let-down-as-tv-footage-fails-at-tour-de-yorkshire-r/)

Looked to me like yesterday's problems started once the race really got into the increasingly built up areas of central London, at which point they lost the feed from both the motorbikes and the aerial shots :ooh:. Anyone who regularly watches France 2/3's coverage of the TdF will know even they lose some motorbike coverage sometimes during town/city centre finishes but they seem to be able to plug the gaps by having more ground based cameras in the last few kms, the TdF helicopter coverage seems to be more robust (with at least 2 camera choppers) and above that several fixed winged aircraft doing the relaying.

Wonder if yesterday's problems were simply down to resources and costs..

Sallyann1234
1st Aug 2016, 17:25
Not all freelancers are 'inadequate'.I never used the word, so why did you put it in quotes? I'm sure the freelancers do a fine job to the best of their ability.

I merely pointed out that an ad hoc group brought together for a large job are unlikely to be as efficient as an integrated team trained on their own equipment.

mickjoebill
2nd Aug 2016, 17:30
I merely pointed out that an ad hoc group brought together for a large job are unlikely to be as efficient as an integrated team trained on their own equipment.

So a highly experienced outside broadcast crew that could have been shooting Wimbledon or the FA cup is "ad hoc" and are not integrated?

And unless they own equipment they are not as efficient as owner operators?

Ad hoc is a word that originally comes from Latin and means “for this” or "for this situation." In current American English it is used to describe something that has been formed or used for a special and immediate purpose, without previous planning.

The very reason the industry has gone freelance is that it is far more efficient than a full time, staffed crew.

Mickjoebill

India Four Two
3rd Aug 2016, 12:49
but TBH I only watch their coverage if Marion Rousse is involvedwiggy,

Thank you. I had never heard of Marion. ;)

r-eHYazlhrA