PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone tell me what's going on here?

PDR1
31st Jul 2016, 09:51
Not sure where to ask this, so I put it here!

Can anyone tell me what this is all about? Some kind of surveillance? Airborne radio repeater? French government snooping on Theresa's Brexit strategy meetings?

http://www.atomic-album.com/showPic.php/22727/Round%20and%20round2.jpg

PDR

John Hill
31st Jul 2016, 09:54
ATCO dropped his strip on the floor?

WeeJeem
31st Jul 2016, 10:05
It's a TV relay platform so presumably providing broadcast cover for, at a guess, the RideLondon event. :ok:

vapilot2004
31st Jul 2016, 10:08
At first I thought surveillance, but seeing the aircraft registry, I thought not. I suppose, however, the French can be trusted to relay a television broadcast over British skies.

TWT
31st Jul 2016, 10:19
An article on how the TV coverage on the Tour de France is done.In their diagram,you will note the fixed wing relay aircraft up high.

How the Tour de France is Broadcast To the World | CyclingTips (http://cyclingtips.com/2016/06/eyes-in-the-sky-how-the-tour-de-france-is-broadcast-to-the-world/)

vapilot2004
31st Jul 2016, 10:21
Charming. No satellite trucks in the EU and UK? US media use them at times, as well as cheaper to operate microwave links for streaming live feeds to their respective stations or networks.

VP959
31st Jul 2016, 10:33
Charming. No satellite trucks in the EU and UK? US media use them at times, as well as cheaper to operate microwave links for streaming live feeds to their respective stations or networks.
Having followed the Tour a few years ago, there were loads of locations where you just couldn't have got satellite trucks in place, plus, I suspect that the logistics of keeping a relay of such trucks in the right place for each stage (and the need for many relay trucks in the mountain stages, because of the terrain) means that a relay aircraft makes a great deal more sense.

Granted it doesn't make sense over somewhere flat, like London or Paris, but the Tour covers a lot of ground and the fleet of ground support vehicles is already maxed out, in terms of the capacity of some of the roads used.

Sallyann1234
31st Jul 2016, 10:36
Satellite trucks are used very frequently in the UK and EU. You'll see them at almost any televised event at static locations. But they cannot be used to follow a swiftly moving event like the cycle race.

TWT
31st Jul 2016, 10:37
Wherever you have tall buildings,it does make sense to have a 'high' relay platform.Microwave transmissions from the motorcycle uplinks cannot travel through concrete and steel.Has to be 'line of sight'.

COFDM modulation on the microwave transmitters slightly reduces the 'line of sight' requirement.

vapilot2004
31st Jul 2016, 10:37
Cheers Sallyann and TWT and VP! :ok:

Lonewolf_50
31st Jul 2016, 12:55
:} Looked to me like the worst holding pattern ever flown. :E

MrSnuggles
31st Jul 2016, 13:05
Ah, no that was because of a very rare Pokemon on FL 200!

WeeJeem
31st Jul 2016, 15:00
:} Looked to me like the worst holding pattern ever flown. :E

Oh, I've seen worse :ok:

Fairdealfrank
31st Jul 2016, 15:32
At first I thought surveillance, but seeing the aircraft registry, I thought not. I suppose, however, the French can be trusted to relay a television broadcast over British skies.

And to build nuclear power stations?

vapilot2004
31st Jul 2016, 21:39
And to build nuclear power stations?

I suppose the answer to that depends on the location of said stations.