PDA

View Full Version : Warbird Adventure Flying

Warbird Ambitions
31st Jul 2016, 00:07
Hi, I am new to this thread and I apologise in advance for my naivety.
I only have around 70 hours logged but I have been holding off doing a Cpl until I have some direction. My long time dream has been to operate a small warbird adventure flight company here in Australia. I have done a fair bit of research into operating costs of Yak 52's and CJ's but I feel I really need to speak to someone with direct experience in running one of these companies to see if this is a viable option for me. I would like to know typically how many flights a week these companies might be running and weather or not the figures I have come up with are realistic so that I can more accurately assess the risks associated with starting a small business like this.
Thank you in advance to any one willing to offer me some advice or for passing on details of people that may be able to help.

dhavillandpilot
31st Jul 2016, 03:39
I'm amazed why would anyone already in the business want to help a potential competitor compete with them.

Like all small businesses you need to work out your

Fixed overheads
Fixed aircraft ownership costs
Variable ownership costs
Profit margin ( aviation this is no existent)

Then look at what competitors charge.

My guess is DONT do it, as most of the people I know in this business do it as a secondary way of owning an aircraft that is a bit special by defraying the basic ownership costs.

Good luck

drpixie
31st Jul 2016, 09:02
As above, you'll be completing with people who really wanted to own aircraft X and are recovering some of the annual costs.

There are a few people around to do "adventure flights" but not many who support a profitable business - I can think of a couple of cases where it's more-of-less an excuse to include their favoursite "warbird" in their business expences. (I quote "warbird" because the definition has been getting more and more relaxed the further we get from actual fighting, and more recent (large jet) warbirds are getting really impractical outside the military.)

Having said all that, I can think of one historic aircraft (probably a "warbird" by the current definition (did it or any of it's type ever fly in a conflict?) that has kept a charter business afloat, but it's a special case and likely to be repeated.

fujii
31st Jul 2016, 10:01
From The Antique Aeroplane Assciation of Australia aircraft categories.

Warbird: Encompassing all aircraft previously operated by the military forces of any country.

Keg
31st Jul 2016, 11:38
Geez, under that criteria a C172 qualifies.