PDA

View Full Version : Distance learning (again!)

jason_beall
1st Jul 2002, 09:22
Hi all,

I know there are tons of posts on which distance learning course is the best. That's not what I am asking. For me location is an issue. Where can I find a complete list (pref. online) of all the organizations that offer distance learning/refresher courses and their respective locations? I am based in Essex so wanted to remail in the Anglia/London area to save housing costs.

Thanks,

-jason

fibod
1st Jul 2002, 09:51
Jason, the CAA publish as list of approved FTOs: go to the CAA website, look for the Safety Regualtion Group then Approved Schools.

However, your question is a little strange - the whole idea of distance learning is surely that you do it at DISTANCE from the FTO?

jason_beall
1st Jul 2002, 10:54
I will be. I work full time in Aberdeen during the week and am in the South on weekends.

Thanks for the info,

-Jason

Hard Cache
1st Jul 2002, 12:56
Hi Jason

I'm living in North Essex and Studying for my ATPL with Bristol Groundschool. All done from home apart from two, two week, consolidation/mock exam weeks in Bristol. Can recommend, excellent notes/CD-Rom and very helpful staff.

The leaflet from the CAA is entitled as follows:

ORGANISATIONS CONDUCTING CAA AND JAR-FCL APPROVED COURSES OF FLIGHT AND GROUND TRAINING

Good luck whatever school you choose :eek: :confused:

timzsta
1st Jul 2002, 20:23
If your in Essex take a look at London Guildhall University. I have just started distance learning with them, cost a smidge under 2K. Seems to have a good reputation - it was recommended to me by a French instructor working in Los Angeles when I was there earlier this year. The University is located next to Tower Hill station, so nice and easy to get to if travelling is an issue you wish to consider. The University also offers MCC course for when you get a bit further down the line. The internet address is www.lgu.ac.uk/ca. Also not far away is Cabair Air at Cranfield, visit www.ccat.co.uk. Good luck.