PDA

View Full Version : What is it ??

Babi Melayu
1st Jul 2002, 08:01
They say Motivation and Capacity makes a tremendously good Pilot. I agree.

What are others? What does CAPACITY encompass ?????

BlueWolf
1st Jul 2002, 08:13
Aptitude, attitude, ability, capability, versatility, veracity, tenacity.....balls, brains, bloody-mindedness, and an absolute love of flying.
That's what capacity means.....
If you have these things then you have the capacity to be a good pilot. Add motivation, and voila.

BlueWolf
1st Jul 2002, 08:22
Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there
I've chased the shouting wind along and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air
Up, up the long delerious burning blue
I've topped the windswept height with easy grace
Where never lark or even eagle flew
And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high untresspassed sanctity of space
Put out my hand and touched the face of God.

P.O. John Gillespie Magee, RCAF
1921 - 1940

If you have to ask, you'll never know.

jayteeto
1st Jul 2002, 16:56
Nice poem, words look a little different, don't know what it has to do with capacity. Anyway, as a person who has never been blessed with an abundance of this strange phenomenon, I thought I might try and explain in pilot speak. Capacity is your ability to carry out a number of tasks without overloading your brain. In flying training you often meet people who can't talk on the radio and fly at the same time. These are called 'students'. Further down the training pipeline, Situational Awareness is a good way to see if someone is overloaded, these people are called instructors. Joking apart, this is one of the main reasons why people get chopped so it is pretty important for the system to test you early.:rolleyes:

DuckDogers
1st Jul 2002, 17:44
As Blue Wolf says if you have to ask you do not know. These things you have to experience. In my shortish career so far you can sense it in people, its innate and cannot be learnt.

Training is there to enhance these natural gifts. BW, good to see that culture still exists around the globe, a truly emotive poem.

Talking Radalt
1st Jul 2002, 17:48
Big tits and long blonde hair isn't a requirement but certainly helps.:D

teeteringhead
2nd Jul 2002, 06:36
jayteeto

...... but what do you call people who instruct instructors........??

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Big Green Arrow
2nd Jul 2002, 13:50
How does it go...?

If you can't do..instruct

If you can't instruct...examine

teeteringhead
2nd Jul 2002, 14:51
BGA

I think the original (George Bernard Shaw?) was:

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach"

I always thought the extension was "those who can't teach, teach teachers to teach!".

Very difficult to say on a Friday night.....................;)

jayteeto
2nd Jul 2002, 16:07
I'm shocked and stunned, so I can't do, I can't teach. What do I do if they find out the truth?? Shhhhh don't tell anyone, but I can't teach to teach either................................:p
PS. I disagree, you can teach capacity, seriously. If you really want to know how, get in touch with us at CFS(H) Sqn. The military are actually putting a lot of effort into this because of the high percentage of 'chopees' who are going due to this very reason. We can't make you Einstein, but we can make you better.

Babi Melayu
2nd Jul 2002, 18:15
Jayteeto

So how do you guys teach capacity?

Please, brother, enlighten me. THanks.

high spirits
2nd Jul 2002, 19:59
Not forgetting capacity comes from experience which breeds confidence which in turn breeds capacity. Not to criticise your organisation Jayteeto but the one next door has cut a few hours off the baby pilots course in recent years.

Pub User
2nd Jul 2002, 21:37
High Spirits

I have to disagree with your assertion that confidence breeds capacity. Obviously experience does, because it allows someone to devote less attention to the flying task, and thus frees some capacity to deal with situational aspects. Confidence may give the impression that someone has capacity, but it could be a mask, and it is often the 'confident' individual who misses something vital.

Babi M

Capacity as a whole is not taught, but it is broken down into various sud-divisions, many of which are 'trainable'. Some aspects, however, are not trainable, and lead to the trainee seeking a new occupation.