PDA

View Full Version : Windows and logins!

LookingForAJob
28th Jul 2016, 20:58
Okay - I really have had enough!

So here I am. I have a desktop computer that runs Windows (version 8.1, not that it makes any difference). Today, for the first time in many months, I want to use Skype on my desktop PC. Skype says it does not recognise my login. It is a login that, somehow, is now associated with my Windows account. I did not want to associate the two accounts - and don't actually recall ever doing anything to link them. But now I have had to change my Windows password just to use Skype. But when I use my new password on Skype it does not let me login because I am not using the latest version of Skype.

My laptop, on which I use all of the accounts that I have set up on my desktop also, will now need different passwords I guess. Strangely, despite it having all the same accounts as my desktop, my laptop has required a different password from the desktop in order to log into Windows for some months now. So, maybe I won't need different passwords.

One of the accounts that I use is a Hotmail account. Oh, sorry, I should have called it an Outlook.com account. But in actual fact, I had to upgrade it from an Outlook.com account to (I think) an Office 365 account a few months ago. Now, I lead an exciting life - by some standards, at least. I get to travel around to different places. For various reasons, when I use my laptop, I often use a VPN. Of course, my Hotmail, oops, Outlook, oops, Office 365 account regularly tells me that it thinks somebody else is fraudulently using my account and forces me to change my password.

I think I am savvy enough to know how to use all this online magic stuff. I never asked for my email account to look out for possible scammers. I answer all of my security questions with the correct answers but I still have to change my password. And now I find myself forgetting which passwords I set up for which accounts on which computer....... which ultimately means that I have to ask for help in logging on, and in order to do that I have to change my password yet again.

So, sorry to be a bore but - I've had enough.

I am sorry to have ranted, but thank you for letting me get it off my chest. Now I'm going to go and cancel every Hotmail, Outlook, Skype, anything else that Microsoft seems to think I cannot manage for myself, account and try and find something that doesn't force me to change my password simply because I can't remember the password that I reset last week, which had to be a minimum of eight characters, had to use digits and uppercase and lowercase characters, and couldn't be the same as any password I had used before!

Hard to believe I'm actually saying this because I am no fan of Apple - but I think I will go and use my iCloud account because it just seems to work wherever I am and however I happen to be accessing the Internet.

Loose rivets
28th Jul 2016, 21:25
Are we related? :p

Specaircrew
6th Aug 2016, 11:47
Your Microsoft account works in the same way as an Apple ID, in other words you can have one login for everything(including Skype which is owned by MS). You can then use a four number pin instead of a password to log into your PC which should give you the option to save all your other logins if you have trouble remembering.

Ancient Observer
6th Aug 2016, 14:40
Can I please join you in this I hate password complexity Club?

My current pain, however, is not Micromoneygrab, but is Appleripoffgrab. Apple just hates me using its services from a range of different gadgets and different places. It shows a lack of sensitivity, and when combined with the spam/phishing for "You need to reset your password", I have begun to hate it seriously.

LookingForAJob
6th Aug 2016, 19:12
Your Microsoft account works in the same way as an Apple ID, in other words you can have one login for everything(including Skype which is owned by MS). Thank you. But can you help me to understand why my desktop and laptop computers, which are set up with the same 'Microsoft id', need different passwords?

ExSp33db1rd
6th Aug 2016, 23:23
Hope you know the name of your Grandmother's first dog, providing of course that there was at least one Upper Case character,one numeral and one special character in its name, and contained no more than 8 characters that you must change every 90 days.

I too have finally given up trying to keep my Outlook Express, Outlook, Hotmail, Microsoft accounts, I was actually in a shop selling fountain pens recently, as a novelty item, would have bought one, but they didn't sell extra ink !

I have a disc of Word 97, which I guard with my life, and instal on all replacement Microsoft gadgets, none of this Office 365 crap.

I currently have a 20 page A.4 sized folder of usernames and passwords, and have to reprint it every few weeks.

LIFE was easier before computers.

I blame Bill Gates.

finfly1
7th Aug 2016, 17:05
You basically need to buy fountain pen ink online.

Imagine the look on the faces (with piercings) of the young clerks in Staples when they tried to sell me ink for printer cartridges and I said it was not what I wanted.

I don't think they had a clue what a 'fountain' pen was.

crablab
8th Aug 2016, 11:47
The Microsoft account thing is meant to be a one login system (as Specaircrew said) but its never worked properly - I had exactly the same issue with Skype, if you reset your password through it sometimes it would update on all the other connected Microsoft accounts, sometimes it wouldn't etc. Very frustrating.

I use Ubuntu and Google accounts for everything now... The Google system WORKS (and very well as a matter of fact...)

Specaircrew
18th Aug 2016, 20:51
Thank you. But can you help me to understand why my desktop and laptop computers, which are set up with the same 'Microsoft id', need different passwords?

It might be because you''ve set them up with 'local machine' logins instead of using your Microsoft account.

SoundBarrier
31st Aug 2016, 19:12
I'm no Microsoft Fan at all - the google connectivity and seamless flow of information is good, and Microsoft is getting there, now more quickly than ever.

The Microsoft Account is going to become the equivalent of your single login to all your apps (store, etc.) as mentioned previously similar to the AppleID. Unfortunately - it will be a long time before there is a true single login to everything - hence the many tools which attempt to do this for us (but don't cover everything)

Now it's my turn to rant (my worst online rant ever) :-

1. When accounts get hacked changed or computers get viruses (or randsomware) I get phone calls and requests for help - it's often seen as MY fault (well, you look after our computers) yes - but I never set your password to "Welcome1" - I give you advice but you never follow it. :mad: OFF!!
2. "Aww it's so hard to remember passwords" - How the hell do you drive to work? Do you know the way or if you GPS is not working do you just stay at home? Use a passphrase - it's easier, but Nooo you don't :mad:ing listen. :mad: OFF!
3. Product names change - get over it. Car's model and names change - why is that not an issue???
4. Being IT literate is a REQUIREMENT these days - I don't care how old you are - get up with the play or don't use the technology - if you have to use it - be respectful of those who try to help you - or :mad: OFF!!

Often users rant at those who are trying to help - which is the wrong person to rant at - just like the passengers who have a delayed flight, swearing and cursing at the desk clerk who is trying to help in some way shape or form, but treated like dirt.

I've taken this a bit far. Sorry.:{

crablab
31st Aug 2016, 19:50
A sentiment I agree with SoundBarrier

jack11111
31st Aug 2016, 20:45
Linux, perhaps.