PDA

View Full Version : Rio Olympics, no sports stories please

mickjoebill
27th Jul 2016, 08:50
A "former SAS" soldier guarding a TV crew on Cococabana beach, was clocked in the head with a pink handbag, weilded by a transvestite trying to steal the camera.

Channel Nine crew attacked by a transvestite hours after arriving in Rio | Daily Mail Online (http://dailym.ai/2a83awV)

Mickjoebill

vctenderness
27th Jul 2016, 09:22
Tall and tan and young and lovely,
The girl from Ipanema goes walking
And when she passes, each one she passes goes, “Aaah…”
When she walks, she’s like a samba
That swings so cool and sways so gently
That when she passes, each one she passes goes, “Aaah…”
Oh, but he watches so sadly -
How can he tell her he loves her?
Yes, he would give his heart gladly,
But each day when she walks to the sea,
She looks straight ahead – not at he…
Tall and tan and young and lovely,
The girl from Ipanema goes walking
And when she passes, he smiles, but she doesn’t see…

SilsoeSid
27th Jul 2016, 10:53
No 'sports' stories from Rio and you start off with an Australian news story :D

http://cdn.trisoft.co.uk/ftpMint/HPS706_300.png

TWT
27th Jul 2016, 11:02
There are so many people calling themselves 'former SAS' and 'ex-SAS' out there that you wonder if there are any 'current' SAS soldiers at all.

B Fraser
27th Jul 2016, 11:06
An ex-forces mate once said about the Iranian Embassy event "so many people claim to have stood on that balcony, you would think it was the Albert Hall".

meadowrun
27th Jul 2016, 11:10
I suspect the when the games get up and running the crime, sewage, medical emergency, traffic and dilapidated infrastructure stories will outnumber any sports items.

chevvron
27th Jul 2016, 11:21
You can get a glass of ice cold red wine (known locally as 'Vino Soave') for 1 real per glass at those juice stands on Copacobana.
Bloody delicious when the temp is high 20s/low 30s.

vulcanised
27th Jul 2016, 11:29
I suspect the big stories will be about the terrorist attacks.

Tech Guy
27th Jul 2016, 11:34
Or Winifer Fernandez. :)

DirtyProp
27th Jul 2016, 12:48
Who's this Winifer...? Oh dear!!
Thank you for bringing THAT to my attention.

http://www.shockmansion.com/wp-content/myimages/2016/07/maxresdefault3.jpg

lomapaseo
27th Jul 2016, 13:58
You can get a glass of ice cold red wine (known locally as 'Vino Soave') for 1 real per glass at those juice stands on Copacobana.

bloody delicious ...................... I hope not .. ugh

Evanelpus
27th Jul 2016, 14:23

How much of a price hike will there be whilst the games are actually on then?

Kulverstukas
27th Jul 2016, 14:33
Is price hike Olympic discipline already? :D

Hempy
27th Jul 2016, 15:18
tMgmYutL9W0

Avitor
27th Jul 2016, 15:25
Maybe they won't be invited to enter a team?

er340790
27th Jul 2016, 15:39
Rio remains the only place where I have ever been attacked - and I spent 90% of my career worldwide over the last 28 years in some pretty dodgy places at times.

That occasion was probably largely my own fault though: it was 1993 and a mate and I were heading back along the Copacabana at about 2AM one Saturday morning, having spent the night eating and drinking at about half a dozen nightspots.

We stopped for a final beer (or four) at some of those kiosks they have on the promenade. I dropped the change - just a couple of $s - into my shirt pocket. As we walked on, I was jumped from behind. Managed to grab the guy's arm and leapt down with him in tow onto the beach below us. Major scuffle ensued and the guy fled when my mate joined in. The entire pocket was ripped clean off my shirt(!)

Enraged, and with mouth and eyes half full of sand, I leaped back up onto the promenade and, in my confusion, grabbed a passing jogger who I thought was the attacker in a neck-hold(!!!) It was only the intervention of my mate and a tourist policeman who skidded up on his bike like Zorro, that stopped me ripping the poor guy's head right off. :eek:

Pretty embarrassing really. :( But didn't spoil the trip.

Plus I kept the shirt as a souvenir! :O

er340790
27th Jul 2016, 15:43
P.S. The local must-have beverage is the Caipirinah. A sugar-cane spirit that is at least 200 deg proof and is served with crushed limes and ice.

Two of those and your ear-wax melts, you start talking like the Godfather and you develop the crab's ability to walk sideways.

Ahh. Memories......! :}

Mike6567
27th Jul 2016, 18:24
Shirley Restaurant - excellent for seafood lobster etc. First went there in the 1980s and later in early 2000s. I understand it is still the same.

Security in Rio was always a problem - be very careful.

TWT
27th Jul 2016, 18:58
I second the Caipirinah.Was in Recife 2 yrs ago for the World Cup and had 1 or 5 of those.Delicious !

Several on the crew were mugged right outside the hotel in broad daylight.One of them,from Glasgow,didn't take kindly to this, and fought back.

The mugger was taken by surprise and gave up,and went to look for an easier target.It was only then that the handgun in his back pocket was noticed....
nnnnn
nnnn
nnnnn

reynoldsno1
28th Jul 2016, 01:04
The only place I have ever been attacked is Bournemouth, the day before I joined the armed forces. 4 years of amateur boxing proved worthwhile ...
I came close in Rio - having a drink in the hotel garden bar just across from Copacabana. A youth slipped into the table next to mine and held out his hand for money. I ignored him, but noticed out of the corner of my eye that he had picked up an empty beer bottle. I made eye contact and held his gaze for a few seconds. He eventually put the bottle down and left.

BlankBox
28th Jul 2016, 02:39
ok...no sports

https://www.google.ca/maps/@-22.9812319,-43.3935581,3a,75y,354.33h,72.5t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1s-qjBRrjJwNTw%2FVFRmThl1trI%2FAAAAAAAAFGY%2FgBQxaqhWbWUNgbM5Wm VhepY3YaMnSnRfg!2e4!3e11!6s%2F%2Flh3.googleusercontent.com%2 F-qjBRrjJwNTw%2FVFRmThl1trI%2FAAAAAAAAFGY%2FgBQxaqhWbWUNgbM5Wm VhepY3YaMnSnRfg%2Fw203-h101-n-k-no%2F!7i8200!8i4100?hl=en

:p

chevvron
28th Jul 2016, 03:16
Shirley Restaurant - excellent for seafood lobster etc. First went there in the 1980s and later in early 2000s. I understand it is still the same.

Security in Rio was always a problem - be very careful.
I second Shirleys; we were there in 2002.
Mrs C wanted seafood for our final night at the Luxor Continental (which by the way, serves fantastic steaks at the 'snack bar' next to the swimming pool on the top floor; just rest your knife on the steak and it sinks through like butter) and the maitre-d in the main restaurant apologetically told us sorry but not on menu, but he directed us to Shirleys which we walked past most days anyway as it was only a short distance away in the same street as the hotel at the Leme end of Copacobana.
Mrs C got her seafood (enormous langoustines) and I had another delicious steak.
The only time we felt 'unsafe' was when we visited the old presidential palace, now a museum, where President Giutelio Vargas supposedly shot himself ln 1959. It was OK in daytime but we wouldn't want to visit after dark.
Another eating speciality is the restaurants (can't remember what they're called) where you sit at a long table having collected a plate of salad and waiters come round with skewers of different types of barbecued meats - you eat all you want for the same price!
As for the caiparinahs; they were delicious but didn't seem to affect us in the way described - I wonder why?

ExXB
28th Jul 2016, 04:22
Chevvron,

Churrascaria,

(From the Portugese word for barbecue)

The trick is not to fill up on the starters but to wait for the meat, served on swords at some establishments.

chevvron
28th Jul 2016, 05:17
Yes we collected our salad then waited for the meat to arrive; it never seemed to stop arriving once started!!

SOPS
28th Jul 2016, 06:15
Well this could ruin your appetite.

Rio Olympics competitors warned to 'keep their mouths shut' because of water pollution | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-3711766/Rio-Olympics-competitors-warned-mouths-shut-pollution-water.html)

ExXB
28th Jul 2016, 10:40
Please, please! No daily fail links.

They make their money from advertising. The advertisers rate them on how many other sites link to them (like yours). The more links to them posted in PPRuNe, the more money they make. Now if they only paid taxes to the exchequer making money would be OK. But they don't, so it isn't.

waldopepper42
28th Jul 2016, 11:58
I spent most of last year working in Rio. Great memories of many of the places. I didn't feel particularly unsafe but didn't take risks like late night drinks on the beach either. The roof top bar of the Pestana or the Mud Bug bar next door to the Copacabana Palace were much more appealing anyway. :}

Went to the one and only football match I have ever attended at the Maracana stadium (If you're only going to do something once, do it in style!) and boy do those Brazilian football fans know how to sing and dance up a storm!!

And Caipirinha - Cachaça, sugar and lime. Responsible for the death of many of my grey cells! :E

Evanelpus
28th Jul 2016, 12:02
And Caipirinha - Cachaça, sugar and lime. Responsible for the death of many of my grey cells! :E

Oh yes, have drank more than my fair share of these over many trips to Brazil.

barry lloyd
28th Jul 2016, 12:07
Please, please! No daily fail links.

Having seen the photos and having been almost a resident of Rio for a while, I can tell you that the photos are taken in an entirely different area. The photos are taken where the waters of the bay are completely stagnant, and are surrounded by a slum. It's the backside of the docks in every sense of the word. Misrepresentation is one of the politer words which comes to mind. The areas where the aquatic events will take place have - relatively - cleaner water. The biggest problems are more likely to be the waves and the undertow from the Atlantic rollers.

The media are doing their usual trick of 'doing down' whichever venue has been chosen for the games. They even dared to criticise some of the venues and accommodation for the London Olympics and of course, Sochi. Both turned out fine in the end.

alemaobaiano
28th Jul 2016, 13:39
The biggest problems are more likely to be the waves and the undertow from the Atlantic rollers.

Not likely to be a problem, the majority of the events are either in Guanabara bay, near the marina or the inland waterways along the Barra de Tijuca. The undertow is dangerous on the oceanic beaches, not so much on those in the bay.

As for the pollution, even the mayor says that they only managed 30% of the promised reduction, after 9 years. They will be keeping the crap away from the events as much as possible by confining it to the less salubrious areas with barriers and boats.

The Olympics will be a success, just like the World Cup was, even though it's costing us a fortune and most of the money has gone walkabout.

er340790
29th Jul 2016, 16:08
Yes we collected our salad then waited for the meat to arrive; it never seemed to stop arriving once started!!

We made the same mistake first time out there. :O Most of these meat places have a tiny metal flag-pole on the table with red, yellow and green flags. You start on green when you want them to serve, go to yellow when you want them to slow down and red when you want them to stop.

Leave it on green and you'll soon be buried under more meat than Smithfield market!!! :O :O :O

Wonderful!!!

mickjoebill
30th Jul 2016, 01:22
Aussies having a hard time of it.
Smoke detectors and fire sprinklers were deactivated in two accomidation tower blocks whilst remedial building work is undertaken.

And of course there was a bin fire started by cigarette dropped by a workman.
At least there would've been no physical impairment to the residents evacuating by the stairs!

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/olympics/rio-2016/olympics-australia/rio-olympics-2016-australian-athletes-evacuated-after-fire-20160729-gqh5rw.html
Mickjoebill

candoo
30th Jul 2016, 11:02
Why the **** is team GB officially sponsored by a German supermarket company?

ExXB
30th Jul 2016, 14:56
Why the **** are the Olympics sponsored by McDooDoo, CokeCola and Budweiser (the crap kind)?

SMT Member
30th Jul 2016, 14:57
At a guess, they offered more money?

G-CPTN
30th Jul 2016, 14:59
Wasn't there a case whereby would-be spectators for the London Olympics were prevented from using a credit card other than the officially appointed one (https://www.theguardian.com/money/2010/jun/24/london-olympics-visa-card-tickets)?

ExXB
30th Jul 2016, 16:35
Thanks, I had forgotten about Visa.

Exclusive sponsorship rights do nothing for the average punter other than put our costs up. They should be prohibited, banned and keel-hauled.

broadreach
30th Jul 2016, 22:24
G-CPTN yes it's all Visa. I bought some tickets for UK friends last week and, fortunately, had a Visa card. Funny, they'd tried via a UK site and found the process more complicated/expensive.

ricardian
31st Jul 2016, 17:35
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13886243_511337549076011_6611482407570390087_n.jpg?oh=00157b 0d1ad34132a33fd74d59413390&oe=58271B3A

Lonewolf_50
31st Jul 2016, 19:38
Read in todays news that a ramp at the marina (http://www.foxsports.com/olympics/story/main-ramp-at-rio-olympics-sailing-venue-collapses-marina-da-gloria-073016) being used for Olympic sailing collapsed.

The report cites a local official as saying that repairs will be complete within four days, so it should be up an running/ramping in time for the games.

meadowrun
1st Aug 2016, 12:55
"After bodies were found in Ganabara Bay, Rio, athletes have been warned that even dipping their heads under the surface will make them susceptible to disease just days before the Games. A study has shown viral levels in the bay is up to 1.7 million times what would be considered worrisome in the United States or Europe. Ganabara Bay will host the triathlon, sailing and some swimming events at the Games and last week a floating corpse and a severed arm were found floating in the water. Rubbish is so thick in some areas that water is not visible and rats are able to live on top of the disgusting floating debris." DM

Lonewolf_50
1st Aug 2016, 13:06
"After bodies were found in Ganabara Bay, Rio, athletes have been warned that even dipping their heads under the surface will make them susceptible to disease just days before the Games. A study has shown viral levels in the bay is up to 1.7 million times what would be considered worrisome in the United States or Europe. Ganabara Bay will host the triathlon, sailing and some swimming events at the Games and last week a floating corpse and a severed arm were found floating in the water. Rubbish is so thick in some areas that water is not visible and rats are able to live on top of the disgusting floating debris." DM If that's from the Daily Mail, it might be worth finding a corroborating source for all of what's in the article.

meadowrun
1st Aug 2016, 13:24
Sure, fill your boots...

Matthew Fisher: Good news ? now only half of Rio?s sewage is flowing untreated into Guanabara Bay | National Post (http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/rio-2016/matthew-fisher-good-news-now-only-half-of-rios-sewage-is-flowing-untreated-into-guanabara-bay)

Corpses, Excrement, Litter: Welcome To Rio Olympic Sailing Venue (http://www.ndtv.com/world-news/corpses-excrement-litter-welcome-to-rio-olympic-sailing-venue-1438418)

Expert Warns Water in Brazil Is Awful | Sports News | US News (http://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2016-08-01/expert-to-rio-athletes-dont-put-your-head-under-water)

Doctor's advice after AP's Rio study: Don't put your head under water | FOX Sports (http://www.foxsports.com/olympics/story/doctors-advice-on-rio-dont-put-head-underwater-080116)

mickjoebill
1st Aug 2016, 17:19
During the fire evacuation of their accommodation a laptop and team uniforms were stolen from the Australian team.

Mickjoebill

meadowrun
1st Aug 2016, 21:15
"Chinese hurdler Shi Donpeng had just arrived at his hotel in Brazil ahead of the start of the Olympics on Friday and was exhausted after the long journey from China.
As he waited in line in the hotel lobby to check into his room alongside the cameraman, they left their luggage and camera equipment on the ground beside them.
However, a seemingly drunk man then ran into the hotel and rushed towards Shi before throwing up over him and running away.
And according to the International Sport Press Association, while the athlete went to find the nearest bathroom in order to clean up, the cameraman gave chase to the drunk, and ran out of the hotel to try and find him.
However, less than a minute later when the cameraman returned to the hotel lobby, he found that all of their luggage was gone.
And to make matters worse, when they went to the nearest police station to report the crime, they were forced to wait in a queue for two hours due to the sheer amount of people who also claimed they too had been mugged." also DM

Fareastdriver
2nd Aug 2016, 08:52
Chinese hurdler Shi Donpeng had just arrived at his hotel in Brazil
he found that all of their luggage was gone

That must have made him feel homesick.

vapilot2004
2nd Aug 2016, 10:53
Just got finished reading an article about the poor Rio air quality. Not as bad as Beijing but the second worst in modern Olympics history.

Turns out some of the official air monitors in Rio are operated by the folks that are in the business of making the particulates in the first place. Foxes watching the hen houses - very American of them.

Sallyann1234
2nd Aug 2016, 11:08
It's been a long time since the Olympics was about sport. :ugh:

mickjoebill
2nd Aug 2016, 15:21
On Saturday a freak wave flooded the ground floor of the three story media center erected on the beach.

Mickjoebill

Air Mule
2nd Aug 2016, 20:51
https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Pictures-new/n-SwQsj/i-WqdkFwB/0/L/i-WqdkFwB-L.jpg

mickjoebill
5th Aug 2016, 00:42
Swimmers pulled out of Rio Olympics training pool over infection fears http://dailym.ai/2aUu2DY

Yesterday the practice pool became so "soupy" that athletes donned snorkels, then eventually gave up on it.
Nearby a Russian diplomat turned the gun on his would be robber and killed him.
Rio is quite the adventure destination.
Mickjoebill

meadowrun
6th Aug 2016, 02:28
Members of the US Basketball team, DeAndre Jordan, DeMarcus 'Boogie' Cousins and DeMar Derozan have been caught going to the Termas Monte Carlo brothel near the Copacabana beach in Rio

And it's deoff. Isn't dat debloody delovely?

Hydromet
6th Aug 2016, 02:36
Meadowrun, they were probably just going to 'shoot a few hoops'.

sitigeltfel
6th Aug 2016, 05:59
All athletes have been given a "Seed of Hope" to plant. The Russian seeds are reported to be growing five times faster than those of other teams.
;)

Takan Inchovit
6th Aug 2016, 10:22
A couple of 'merican basketballers popped out to have a brazillian .... :E

Team USA basketball players 'are caught in a BROTHEL in Rio' before Olympics begin | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3726322/Alley-oops-three-male-Team-USA-basketball-players-caught-BROTHEL-Rio-insist-thought-spa.html)

TWT
6th Aug 2016, 10:47
Yes,T.I.,already posted a mere 3 posts above yours :)
mmmm
mmmm
mmm
mmmm

Takan Inchovit
6th Aug 2016, 11:03
Damn damn damn, guilty as charged.

Groundgripper
6th Aug 2016, 11:18
a Russian diplomat turned the gun on his would be robber and killed him

Actually a Brazilian lawyer working in the Russian embassy, I believe.

GG

dazdaz1
6th Aug 2016, 13:34
12 hours of this on BBC 5live and overnight for the next number of weeks I can't take much more of this sport 'love in' I've sent a complaint to the station. It's been years since I have changed the dial to another station on my old radio. I'm trying to tune in to Radio Caroline in the north sea but having no luck just static.

ricardian
6th Aug 2016, 13:58
https://external-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/safe_image.php?d=AQB7jFe1qepShyux&url=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2F3o7TKR8BjQpF1yYB 2g%2Fgiphy.gif

TWT
6th Aug 2016, 18:02
Just as appropriate now as it was at the World Cup.

vapilot2004
6th Aug 2016, 22:27
Last half of an LA Times article on the Opening, written by a theater critic that hits some good notes regarding Rio's struggles.

Judi Dench, whose voice could heal the world if only the world would unplug its ears, recited a poem as only she can. Carlos Drummond de Andrade’s “A Flor e a Náusea” was reverently read by the much-beloved Brazilian actress Fernanda Montenegro in Portuguese and Dench in English. The metaphor of a flower fooling the police by breaking through the asphalt, its delicateness out of place but a testament to the tenacity of softer values, resonated poignantly with these troubled Olympic Games.

The media have naturally focused on the chaos. The global spotlight has discovered Brazil’s political and economic crises — a potential benefit of these ruinously expensive Games for a society long suffering from corruption and a lack of transparency, even if few believe much will materially change after the Olympic torch is extinguished.

But there has also been quite a bit of First World impatience with a developing country’s struggles. The toxic bay and fetid ocean are grossing out visitors and understandably worrying the athletes, but will there be any international followup for the inhabitants of Rio?

The hand-wringing in the press over a litany of small complaints has been nonstop. The Olympic Village is in disrepair, the media center has had shortages of food and coffee and just the other day an Australian tennis superstar had to take a cold shower.

Brazil has come off as a refractory adolescent in need of the industrial discipline of the advanced West, a justification not so long ago for colonialism. Barely factoring in the coverage is the way multinational corporations have exacerbated the economic and environmental woes.

The opening ceremony succeeded in restoring a human face to a country that has been translated into a laundry list of unfixable problems. As populist as it was necessarily prettified, the event was in tune with the global mood that has grown weary of technocrats, elites and all the other self-serving saviors who talk a good game but never seem to improve the status quo......

[Squawks on West Coast Television coverage by NBC] - removed.
Last paragraph:

The bar for Rio 2016 is tragically low. Averting disaster is all that’s required for a passing grade. But these Games should get a gold medal if they diminish another global threat, the disapproving smugness that fails to acknowledge the stirring theme of this opening ceremony — that functional plumbing or no functional plumbing, we’re in this together.

obgraham
6th Aug 2016, 23:32
That last paragraph makes no sense to me at all. It's just babble.

Shouldn't functional plumbing be a higher prerogative than such an extravaganza?

Sallyann1234
7th Aug 2016, 09:14
The Olympics is a direct parallel with FIFA.
Both are controlled entirely by, and for the benefit of, politics and commercial sponsors.

Sport has been pushed to the bottom of the heap.

TURIN
7th Aug 2016, 11:09
Helen has brightened up my viewing....

Helen Skelten in Risky skirt shock! (http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/rio-olympics-host-helen-skeltons-8579512?ICID=FB_mirror_main)

http://i4.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article8579529.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/Helen-Skelton.jpg

Lonewolf_50
7th Aug 2016, 11:20
Helen is certainly getting with the local spirit of not overdressing. Well done Helen.

sitigeltfel
7th Aug 2016, 13:08
Factoid:

The BBC have 455 staff in Rio.
That is about 100 more than in team GB!

Junket? Surely not!

chevvron
7th Aug 2016, 13:18

Helen Skelten in Risky skirt shock! (http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/rio-olympics-host-helen-skeltons-8579512?ICID=FB_mirror_main)

http://i4.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article8579529.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/Helen-Skelton.jpg
Sod Helen, what was Sharon Davies (nearly) wearing? They kept her body out of shot all the time I watched.

Tech Guy
7th Aug 2016, 13:23
The head of the Somali Olympic Team has apologised to officials on behalf of their team after realising that shooting and sailing were two separate events.

dazdaz1
7th Aug 2016, 13:51
Tech Guy.....:D:D:D:D Top marks.

4mastacker
7th Aug 2016, 17:40
Helen Skelton now dressed like Mrs Doubtfire... some BBC suit obviously feeling the pangs of envy. :(

G-CPTN
7th Aug 2016, 22:18
Media correspondent:-
"So what is it really like in the Olympic Village?"

Contestant:-
"Constant copulation."

(I made up that last bit.)

chevvron
8th Aug 2016, 05:30
Helen Skelton now dressed like Mrs Doubtfire... :(
I wouldn't say that; the red outfit I saw her wearing was quite low cut.

sitigeltfel
8th Aug 2016, 07:57
The original....

VXfmSQ5ug7s

New Rio version....

Vvk5hPtmYbk

Lonewolf_50
8th Aug 2016, 13:06
My favorite news story was the amount of outrage over a bunch of NBA players heading out for some of that awesome Rio night life, and them being in the company of some beauties who may or may not have been call girls. Quite frankly, the outrage bus needs to be parked.
1. They are in Rio, known to be a very fun town
2. NBA players are not famous for monogamy. Patrick Ewing and Kobe Bryant are two famous superstar examples of fairly recent vintage, while Wilt Chamberlin and Magic Johnson hit legend and mini legend status for their broad ranging horizontal activity. Why would the current crop of NBA superstars not include some with similar proclivities? The Olympics is a series of road games.
3. Must have been a slow news day.
4. The guys forgot that Rio isn't Vegas.

TWT
8th Aug 2016, 13:13
China is 'not happy' (as usual).An incorrect version of their flag has been used several times :

Who is to blame? Flawed Chinese flag raised at Rio medal ceremonies | South China Morning Post (http://www.scmp.com/sport/china/article/2000656/cctv-raises-red-flag-over-chinese-national-banner-used-rio-medal?utm_source=&utm_medium=&utm_campaign=SCMPSocialNewsfeed)

One guess where the Chinese flags being used in Rio were made......

(probably HK,apparently not on the mainland,but still China !).The Honkies probably did it on purpose :)

sitigeltfel
8th Aug 2016, 15:25
German hockey players....

http://ll-media.tmz.com/2016/08/07/0807-german-field-hockey-butt-fuchs-reddit-4.jpg

Evanelpus
8th Aug 2016, 16:02
Haven't watched a single minute of Olympic coverage, didn't even bother with the opening ceremony.

I really have become a grumpy old man!:ok:

angels
8th Aug 2016, 16:03
www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0LWo2FpcZ0

I've been to many of these big pro-forma events. G7/8/20 meets, ACI annual meetings, various specialist conferences etc and I can assure you that most people will be banging away like demented rabbits. There's just something about them.

Of course, my participation at these meets was greatly reduced (IE I just went to the speeches) after I got married.

bnt
9th Aug 2016, 08:38
In case anyone's wondering about the strange red marks on Michael Phelps and others: there's been an outbreak of "cupping". The BBC reports on this strange practice here (http://www.bbc.com/news/health-37009240).

Does it work? Depends on what you mean by "work". It hurts, which makes it as much of a performance enhancer as having someone whip you between the fences hurdles. In medical terms, the short answer is Quack (http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2016/08/09/thanks-michael-phelps-for-glamorizing-cupping-quackery/)!

Cazalet33
9th Aug 2016, 15:01
http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpsprodpb/FE8A/production/_90726156_doaa_epa976.jpg

NRU74
10th Aug 2016, 19:15
Anyone on here know, or has a link, as to how many BBC folk have been sent/ gone to Rio in order to block two UK TV channels for 16 days or thereabouts?

G-CPTN
10th Aug 2016, 19:17
I hear (or read) that there were 450 BBC personnel in Rio - but I don't know whether that includes locally-hired workers.

Here:- The BBC have taken 455 accredited BBC personnel to Rio for the Olympics

From:- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-3724224/BBC-staff-upset-specialist-Olympic-reporters-overlooked-Rio-duty.html

Fareastdriver
10th Aug 2016, 20:01
Post No 68 by stigeltfel. Factoid:

The BBC have 455 staff in Rio.
That is about 100 more than in team GB!

Junket? Surely not!

llondel
10th Aug 2016, 20:52
I assume they've probably helped pay the wages of some people here, presumably they didn't all turn up by boat.

chevvron
11th Aug 2016, 08:43
I hear (or read) that there were 450 BBC personnel in Rio - but I don't know whether that includes locally-hired workers.

Here:-

From:- BBC staff upset as specialist Olympic reporters are overlooked for Rio 2016 duty | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-3724224/BBC-staff-upset-specialist-Olympic-reporters-overlooked-Rio-duty.html)
I read also that NBC have sent 2,600!

chevvron
11th Aug 2016, 08:45
Helen Skelton now dressed like Mrs Doubtfire... some BBC suit obviously feeling the pangs of envy. :(
She must have changed during the evening; she was wearing a low cut orange number just before they finished for the day.

david1300
11th Aug 2016, 11:21
Haven't watched a single minute of Olympic coverage, didn't even bother with the opening ceremony.

I really have become a grumpy old man!:ok:

And this I don't get. If you have so little interest, what makes you think for a nanosecond that we have any interest in your disinterest :confused::rolleyes:

lomapaseo
11th Aug 2016, 12:18
Originally Posted by Evanelpus View Post

I really have become a grumpy old man!

And this I don't get. If you have so little interest, what makes you think for a nanosecond that we have any interest in your disinterest

Now this thread is really getting interesting

A thread about a non-sport talk being critizied because somebody is not interested in sports

chevvron
12th Aug 2016, 12:49
Both Helen and Sharron looked overdressed last night; has someone had 'words' with them?

mickjoebill
13th Aug 2016, 22:36
The Diving pool will be drained and refilled overnight.

Games organiser Mario Andrade "chemistry is not an exact science"

Majority of volunteers have not show up, partly due to administrative cock ups.

Tickets to the 100 meter final still available for $85.

Journalist fell down unlit trench and impaled on the leg of the safety fence

Media bus was fired on as it travelled past dodgy area. As a security measure, lights were left on inside the bus to show locals the bus wasn't filled with police who are a bigger target. Busses are now under police escort.

Irish athlete was abducted by thugs dressed as police and forced to withdraw cash from an atm.

Man who fired rounds into media village was caught by police after a shootout, police say he was shooting at their surveillance blimp and missed.

Australian women's soccer team are wondering why their bus was stopped by police at their hotel for over 10 minutes whilst the Brazilian team bus went ahead.

Soccer referee at Brazil v Australia match is said to have been apprehensive of an adverse crowd reaction if she had stopping the Brazilian goalie consistently jumping forward of the line during the penalty shootout. Despite a written notice that refs would be particularly watchful during penalties.

A swimming team bus arrived at the track stadium, due to ongoing confusion of using abbreviated stadium names. The cockup cost the swimmers 90 minutes and delayed the semi finals by 30 minutes.

Despite years of planning the swimming schedule was reconfigured overnight in light of "local conditions" (see above!)

In light of the above there should be a service medal for all the team managers!

Mickjoebill

TURIN
13th Aug 2016, 22:46
The number of empty seats is very disappointing.....oh sorry, I was watching Manchester City...opening game....new manager...at home!!

mickjoebill
15th Aug 2016, 01:00
A taxi hired by USA swimmers was stopped on the way home, from what CNN describe, as a "hospitality house" by plain clothes men waving a police badge.
12 times medal winner Ryan Lochte refused to lay down on the ground until he had a gun put to his head and cocked.
They were relieved of cash and credit cards.

Mickjoebill

chevvron
15th Aug 2016, 03:10

Gabby Logan seemed to be wearing that outfit tonight - although you couldn't see the hemline

bnt
15th Aug 2016, 15:17
Both Helen and Sharron looked overdressed last night; has someone had 'words' with them? i saw on Reddit that there is a video floating around of Ms. Skelton on a French beach from years ago. One of those beaches ... :cool:

mickjoebill
15th Aug 2016, 19:26
Cablecam falls on public.
https://youtu.be/sJZAxchlSww

This was the very long cablecam that extends across Olympic Park and over the main stadium.
7 injured. It had stopped and was about to be retrieved.

Mickjoebill

G-CPTN
15th Aug 2016, 20:36
Brazilian Olympic diver 'threw teammate out of room for marathon sex session' | Metro News (http://metro.co.uk/2016/08/15/olympic-diver-threw-teammate-out-of-room-for-marathon-sex-session-6069160/)

Who hands out condoms at the Rio Olympic village? This guy | Metro News (http://metro.co.uk/2016/08/13/a-moment-of-appreciation-for-the-guys-handing-out-condoms-at-the-olympics-6065345/)

megan
16th Aug 2016, 04:46
How are the medals for the sex adjudged? Number of condoms used, length of session, individual rating of performance by opposite member? Must be an Olympic sport after all, given the lengths gone to to accommodate the sport.

mickjoebill
16th Aug 2016, 06:33
A rubbish fire took off in high winds and spread in the Deodoro region, the brush fire threatened the mountain bike venue and ash fell on the nearby hockey field during the Britain Spain quarter final.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRXG32br4x4OaSINsB-7U1KbPE9c3Jd9BTts9VSmt7bh3YedEgPtrMZqFo3

Rumours that some camera infrastructure could have been destroyed.

Fantastic to see the athletes battling on.

Mickjoebill

Hydromet
16th Aug 2016, 07:50
How are the medals for the sex adjudged? Number of condoms used, length of session, individual rating of performance by opposite member? Must be an Olympic sport after all, given the lengths gone to to accommodate the sport.
Degree of difficulty?

charliegolf
16th Aug 2016, 08:36
given the lengths

See what he did there?

CG

Tech Guy
16th Aug 2016, 11:53
How are the medals for the sex adjudged?

First past the finishing post? :ooh:

Although getting the Silver for coming second would likely be a more appreciated result. :D

Cazalet33
17th Aug 2016, 19:10
http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/A277/production/_90819514_newtweet_976.jpg

Fareastdriver
17th Aug 2016, 20:31
Patrick Hickey, Europe's top Olympic official arrested in Rio for a ticket scam. When the police arrived at his hotel room his wife told them that he had gone back to Ireland. He was found, naked, in the room next door.

Either his wife was lying or his being done for dodgy tickets will be peanuts compared with what will happen when his wife gets hold of him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-37107450

mickjoebill
18th Aug 2016, 01:17
The US Olympic Committee confirmed that Jack Conger and Gunnar Bentz were removed from their return flight to the US and detained as the situation involving them and Ryan Lochte threatens to escalate into a full-blown international incident.

Mickjoebill

mickjoebill
18th Aug 2016, 01:42
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcREL5jRkjXyjOVCY69zwnV2Jn1aH1dDw_JV8MX7DoT boVgWF6GNW3YADgmWYQ

The Media Village was sprayed for mosquitoes on Wednesday, possibly connected to the worrying case of female sports reporter, Charlie Webster, who is in a coma after contracting Malaria.

Mickjoebill

sitigeltfel
18th Aug 2016, 08:06
Is this fair?

US athletes spend years training to represent their country, then get rewarded with a tax bill on the value of any medals they win. Taxing them on future earnings is one thing, but the medals should be exempt.

For US Olympians, gold medals come with a hefty tax bill - BBC News (http://www.bbc.com/news/business-37099066)

TURIN
18th Aug 2016, 08:36
Some analysts estimate Mr Phelps, who's worth an estimated $55m, could have a tax bill of $55,000.

Oh dear, how sad, never mind.

charliegolf
18th Aug 2016, 09:04
So, in short, people who earn money have to pay tax on it? Extra, extra, man not bitten by dog, extra!

CG

Ancient Mariner
18th Aug 2016, 09:17
sitigelfel:US athletes spend years training
Good thing pilots don't then. Since they apparently take home less. :E
Per

Cazalet33
18th Aug 2016, 10:07
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcREL5jRkjXyjOVCY69zwnV2Jn1aH1dDw_JV8MX7DoT boVgWF6GNW3YADgmWYQ

Is it malaria? Or just a chest cold?

Hydromet
18th Aug 2016, 10:41
Probably malaria. You can almost see the mosquito bites.

Hempy
18th Aug 2016, 10:55
She's lucky they aren't bigger, they'll be a waist level in 10 years as it is.

The Ryan Lochte story is getting more interesting by the hour.

charliegolf
18th Aug 2016, 10:59
The Ryan Lochte story is getting more interesting by the hour.

When you're not Michael Phelps, perhaps you have to find other ways to be a hero/get in the news.

CG

Hempy
18th Aug 2016, 11:09
I guess Phelps is affluent enough not to need to resort to finding dodgy Brazilian cocaine dealers on the street and then make up a robbery story when he gets ripped off.

Fareastdriver
18th Aug 2016, 13:44
That's a bit deep, isn't it?

charliegolf
18th Aug 2016, 13:49
Ha! Swimmers, deep- I see what you did there!

Lonewolf_50
18th Aug 2016, 14:00
Ha! Swimmers, deep- I see what you did there! I would have thought that divers do it deeper (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a837vwqJL8A).

mickjoebill
18th Aug 2016, 14:49
Daily mail:
Ryan Lochte and the three US swimmers were not robbed but instead ordered to pay up after destroying a gas station bathroom
Video shows the men trashing a restroom and breaking the door, followed by a security guard pulling a gun when they refuse to pay

Mickjoebill

wiggy
18th Aug 2016, 14:57
Must admit as MJB has pointed out Charlie Webster's situation is now starting to sound a bit grim.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/aug/18/tv-presenter-charlie-webster-in-hospital-rio-charity-bike-ride

Hope she recovers OK.

mickjoebill
18th Aug 2016, 14:58
Aussie swimmer claims he was relived of $1000 in the early hours.

"Palmer has told officials that after his friend left he was approached by a man who forced him to withdraw $1,000 in cash from a nearby automatic teller machine.

"Palmer was found later by two businessmen in the Copa district who reported that the swimmer was disoriented and had lost his wallet and phone."

The businessmen phoned the Australian Consulate who contacted the head of security for the Australian Olympic Team, Greg Nance.

Also an unnamed British Athlete was robbed at gunpoint whilst returning to the village after a night out.

Mickjoebill

Lonewolf_50
19th Aug 2016, 14:26
Ryan Lochte and the three US swimmers were not robbed but instead ordered to pay up after destroying a gas station bathroom
Video shows the men trashing a restroom and breaking the door, followed by a security guard pulling a gun when they refuse to pay
Latest estimate on the four "robbed" swimmers I heard this morning on the radio.
Out late, at a party. Heading by an open place, and either had to use the gents or there wasn't room enough for all or something. Some of them peed on the side of the building, some used the restroom, some vandalized the rest room? (Maybe busted door down as nobody would give them a key?) Local security guy shows up, has a pistol, and demands they pay damages. Something like ~ 50 US is forked over to pay for whatever they broke in the rest room.

Now, if they'd have all just STFU, paid for damages, maybe lesson learned on why not to behave like fools. But no, a self-important :mad: had to make up a story about being robbed at gunpoint.
The other bit going around is that when local Brazillian cops investigated, at least one of them told the cops a whopper.

While I don't know how close to the truth the above is, it smells true to me based on some of the trouble I got into, and some of the trouble I tried to get some of my sailors out of, related to liberty/runs ashore.

Lying about what happened never made any of it any better.

lomapaseo
19th Aug 2016, 14:50
never continue shoveling when you're in over your head.

Best that they all just disappear off the news.

It's too late for Lotche to do that as he will be hounded until he at least apologizes and offers to pay a larger fine that those before. The object for him is to at the minimum spill some blood for the Brazil press to get him off the front page.

charliegolf
19th Aug 2016, 15:16
The New York Post front page will sting. Lonewolf- is that a big paper, or nothing to worry about? Lochte is undoubtedly endorsed/sponsored all the way to the bank at the mo. At 32, he's not going to be the new Phelps, so it will be interesting to see the sponsors drop away. Of late, the big companies like to do it loudly and in public so as to be seen as 'ethical'. Hope he has a big pension pot.

CG

Hempy
19th Aug 2016, 15:27
US Olympic Committee apologises to 'people of Brazil' for Ryan Lochte robbery lie (http://www.theage.com.au/sport/olympics/rio-2016/us-olympic-committee-apologise-to-people-of-brazil-for-ryan-lochte-robbery-lie-20160819-gqwroo.html)

wiggy
19th Aug 2016, 15:43
Smart or not at least Mr Lochte had a better sense of timing than the Irish IOC Official - he's off to prison:

Europe’s top Olympic official, Ireland’s Pat Hickey, has had an appeal for bail denied by a Brazilian judge and has been taken to Bangu maximum security prison in Rio de Janeiro.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/aug/19/oci-investigation-illegal-ticket-sales

Hempy
19th Aug 2016, 16:01
Who would have ever thought that an IOC official would be involved in nefarious activities.

Lonewolf_50
19th Aug 2016, 16:34
The New York Post front page will sting. Lonewolf- is that a big paper, or nothing to worry about? It's a big enough paper that other news sources will pick up on its feed/story and spread it all over. It ain't the NY Times, but it's reasonably well known around the country. Lochte is undoubtedly endorsed/sponsored all the way to the bank at the mo. I think he's about to learn about gravity: the higher you climb, the farther you can fall. That boy better have a parachute. Of late, the big companies like to do it loudly and in public so as to be seen as 'ethical'. He didn't just embarrass himself, and his family, he embarrassed the Olympic team and in some eyes the whole country. "Not a good ambassador" -- as one of my sailors got told when the XO restricted him to the ship for the rest of a two week port visit. (Let's just say drinking and bad behavior was involved, and he also lost a stripe ....)

West Coast
19th Aug 2016, 17:20
Got to love XO's...always wearing the black hat.

lomapaseo
19th Aug 2016, 18:31
Well he has now apologized (almost) like writing in the snow.

It was an imperfect apology with many escape clauses (I'm sure somebody will post it on here)

As such it is worse than no apology and a flick of the middle finger to those outside.

In my view he's done and can never comeback into a positive view outside his shrinking circle of friends

tdracer
19th Aug 2016, 20:35
To be fair to Lochte, at least in the US, if someone draws a gun on you and demands money, it's considered armed robbery - it doesn't matter if the money is legally owed. So the story he told is not quite the whopper it's being made out to be.
That being said, he'd have been far better off to have just STFU.

Lonewolf_50
19th Aug 2016, 20:37
To be fair to Lochte, at least in the US, if someone draws a gun on you and demands money, it's considered armed robbery - it doesn't matter if the money is legally owed. So the story he told is not quite the whopper it's being made out to be.
That being said, he'd have been far better off to have just STFU. I don't disagree with your opening point, but he wasn't in the US, he was in Brazil. Not sure if security guards have certain rights/exceptions there.

NutLoose
19th Aug 2016, 21:39
Not watched any of it, drug abuse, corruption, including amongst the members of the international committee, para olympics in tatters, professionals competing in the likes of the Golf, all of the horsey stuff etc, (none of them should be there, it should be amateur only ) and millions being poured into sport and country facilities that often nearly crippled countries and then get abandoned post games.

The IOC and the likes FIFA have lost the plot, they seem to be money grabbing organisations driven by corporate advertising, revenue generation and greed. The sooner they either get back to a lower cost, cleaner and purely amateur games the better, either that or abandon them entirely.

wiggy
20th Aug 2016, 09:00
The sooner they either get back to a lower cost, cleaner and purely amateur games the better,

Agree to the first two points but you'll never ever get elite sport back to being purely amateur.

Introduce a rule saying "you've got to have a day job" and the vast majority of medals will be being won by those in the Russian Army/Students from Colleges in the States/studying sports science at Loughborough/Policemen from Finland ;)/those of independant means.

I think one reason the amateur caveat was dropped from the likes of athletics 30-40 years ago was a growing realisation that it was an impossible rule to police.

emeritus
20th Aug 2016, 10:29
Seems all the Authorities have to do is ban any athlete who has tested positive for drugs from any further Olympic Games. End of.

Emeritus.

meadowrun
20th Aug 2016, 10:49
I used to like watching some Olympic sports. Last number of years, not so much and it declines every games.
For Rio, I calculate I have watched 42 seconds worth of coverage, by mistake, while flipping channels.

wiggy
20th Aug 2016, 11:17
Seems all the Authorities have to do is ban any athlete who has tested positive for drugs from any further Olympic Games. End of.

It's tempting but you are possibly denying someone their means of earning a living so the lawyers get involved very quickly and arguments about punishment fitting the crime start surfacing, e.g. as explained here:

https://www.burges-salmon.com/-/media/files/publications/open-access/fitting_the_punishment_to_the_crime_the_legitimacy_of_lifeti me_bans_for_first_time_doping_offences.pdf

The practice of doping is unquestionably morally
corrupt but it is difficult to justify imposing a lifetime ban on a first
time doper when society accepts the need for ‘second chances’
in other aspects of life, including situations involving physical harm
to another. To take an extreme example, why should the drink
driver who has killed somebody be allowed their licence back but
the doper never be allowed to compete again?

To be clear I have no sympathy for any "mature" athlete who get caught using the likes of EPO - I'd throw the book at them, because it's a substance whose presence is rather hard to explain (unless you're suffering from a life threatening condition). I'd also kick out multiple offenders, but for example do you really want to ban, for life, a teenager because their team Doc had a bad day and didn't get a permission ( in the form of a TUE) to use an "allowable only with the right paperwork" substance to treat a injury/ temporary condition?

mickjoebill
20th Aug 2016, 19:39
Australian Olympic committee was forced to pay $36k in fines for 10 athletes who placed a access code sticker on their accreditation to allow entry to the (half empty) basketball stadium to watch home team in the semi final yesterday.

Australia pays $36,000 to save nine athletes from PRISON http://dailym.ai/2btwKAG

The athletes were detained for 10 hours and threatened with prison.
They have full support of the Australian officials who say it is standard practice to add access code stickers.

Mickjoebill

mickjoebill
20th Aug 2016, 20:07
Russian official says he emptied his pockets for a photo of two armed kids
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/rio-olympics-2016/1592146/rio-olympics-2016-olympic-swimmer-evgeny-korotyshkin-takes-chilling-picture-of-gun-slinging-masked-children-as-they-rob-him-in-rio/

Another UK athlete was robbed on Tuesday, Team GB leaders have told athletes it is not safe to leave the village.
Last week Danish Athletes rooms were ransacked

Mickjoebill

racedo
20th Aug 2016, 22:32
Rio Olympics 2016: Lutalo Muhammad loses taekwondo final in last second - BBC Sport (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/37140462)

This guy was robbed by an African guy, said it only took a second............

West Coast
20th Aug 2016, 23:01
You mean like Ryan Lochte robbed?

To soon?

Cazalet33
22nd Aug 2016, 13:50
Usain Bolt 'caught in bed with Brazilian student' in Rio after he was rumoured to be marrying his girlfriend Kasi Bennett

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/news/2016/08/22/106540165_Jady_Duarte_shared_WhatsApp_pictures_that_show_her _wearing_a_white_top_while_embracing_a_b-large_trans++qVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwUtPHQt6LrDG98p_8fHH_aQ.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/news/2016/08/22/106540166_Jady_Duarte_shared_WhatsApp_pictures_that_show_her _wearing_a_white_top_while_embracing_a_b-large_trans++qVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwU45tTSrPoTR6wgkKQn4tbc.jpg

Miss Duarte tweeted in Portuguese to say her night with the sprinter was "not a big deal" and "normal", admitting she had not realised who the athlete was until her friend pointed it out.

I guess she took the selfies in flagrante just in case the guy was worth it.

Lonewolf_50
22nd Aug 2016, 16:13
It's a very old story. To the victor goes the spoils.

Ladies seem to be attracted to world class athletes. While this does not necessarily pre-empt the impending wedding, it may raise some difficult questions between the champion and the lady who thought she was his one and only. She might write it off as exuberance of victory. Back before selfies and smartphones, this sort of evening's celebration could be left on the shelf of "Blame it on Rio" or "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas." (I hope for both of their sakes that they remembered to wrap the championship rascal ... )

DirtyProp
22nd Aug 2016, 16:22
From Bolt to Dolt.

racedo
22nd Aug 2016, 19:05
From Bolt to Dolt.

wonder did he manage 9.81 seconds.

Saffer friend said their 400 metre winner learned to run by having a Jaguar get released behind him after 20 seconds, learn to run fast to avoid being dinner.

G-CPTN
22nd Aug 2016, 20:19
Usain Bolt 'caught in bed with Brazilian student' in Rio after he was rumoured to be marrying his girlfriend Kasi Bennett

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/news/2016/08/22/106540165_Jady_Duarte_shared_WhatsApp_pictures_that_show_her _wearing_a_white_top_while_embracing_a_b-large_trans++qVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwUtPHQt6LrDG98p_8fHH_aQ.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/news/2016/08/22/106540166_Jady_Duarte_shared_WhatsApp_pictures_that_show_her _wearing_a_white_top_while_embracing_a_b-large_trans++qVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwU45tTSrPoTR6wgkKQn4tbc.jpg

I guess she took the selfies in flagrante just in case the guy was worth it.
Duarte described herself as a student, but is also the widow of drug lord Pereira (https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/rio-olympics-2016/1653933/sexy-student-jady-duarte-who-spent-night-with-usain-bolt-is-widow-of-dangerous-rio-drug-lord/), 'Dina Terror'.

Hempy
31st Aug 2016, 12:11

So, so far, we've had 4 x Olympics, Football World Cups, numerous Le Tours, Champions Leagues, 'Super Bowls', etc etc etc.

And not one 'terrorist attack'?

Either the sons of Allah must be getting very sloppy, or the smoke and mirrors out of the US is proving to be exactly that.

To those nasty Arab terrorists. Please stop ruining our everyday lives by attacking all of our major gatherings.

Oh...wait..

TWT
31st Aug 2016, 12:19
Munich 1972 was the last one ( was it the first ?)

galaxy flyer
31st Aug 2016, 13:27
Hempy,

Yes, London, Paris (several times), Madrid, priest in Normandy and mass rapes in Koln are just US smoke and mirrors. Stand up, terror victims you're not dead.

GF

Hempy
31st Aug 2016, 13:33
They were sporting events touted as 'terrorist' targets, were they?

A million people flock to the Tour de France. Hundreds of thousands of others all gather in the same place to watch Olympic events, Football tournaments, even the 'World Series' :ugh:, yet none of these events had ever had a single issue?

Why is that? Given that all those nasty Muslims all around the world are hell bent on decapitating heathens and aiming for global domination, surely they would have made a global statement at one of these events already?

Yes, a handfull of disaffected nutjobs have managed to take pride of place in the media. I'd suggest that disenfranchised US Postal workers have actually been more deadly in the west than any of GW's self designed 'terrorists'.

But keep toeing the line. It's better if you do.

charliegolf
31st Aug 2016, 14:18
Saffer friend said their 400 metre winner learned to run by having a Jaguar get released behind him after 20 seconds, learn to run fast to avoid being dinner.

With them coaching techniques, how come they didn't win the javelin then?

ian16th
31st Aug 2016, 14:36

Aren't jaguars South American?

charliegolf
31st Aug 2016, 17:11
Aren't jaguars South American?

The ones that ate the Irish alive at last year's RWC certainly were!

CG

david1300
1st Sep 2016, 03:20
They were sporting events touted as 'terrorist' targets, were they?

A million people flock to the Tour de France. Hundreds of thousands of others all gather in the same place to watch Olympic events, Football tournaments, even the 'World Series' :ugh:, yet none of these events had ever had a single issue? ...

But keep toeing the line. It's better if you do.

I notice you omitted the Boston marathon :=

And we will never know what potential attacks were prevented due to the security and alerts, but don't let that get in the way of your drum-banging :ok:

Fareastdriver
1st Sep 2016, 09:17
What terrorist would want to spend time in a Brazilian prison.