PDA

View Full Version : Meanwhile, in passing so to speak...

Krystal n chips
26th Jul 2016, 06:53
Given the recent plethora of attention seeking, histrionic and "ever so slightly biased" , or bigoted, take your pick posts, just for balance there's been a couple of events which have, seemingly, been ignored on here.

The first being the efforts of one Mr Froome, winning a certain race for the third time, which, to my mind takes more than a bit of doing. :ok:

The second was the resounding win yesterday at Valhalla, true, the location does inspire such sporting prowess....obviously !....:E...but even so, a Mr Root, and a Mr Cook, not forgetting a Mr Woakes contributed to a superb Test match, one of the best performances by England in a long time.

Now back to the many posts for the dysfunctional thinkers on here.

Bruce No1
26th Jul 2016, 07:01
So KnC,
Everyone who dares to post something that you disagree with is disfunctional, bigoted or histronic are they?

Do you know, in all my years, I honestly don't recall ever coming across someone who was so full of bull**** as you.

chevvron
26th Jul 2016, 07:06
The first being the efforts of one Mr Froome, winning a certain race for the third time, which, to my mind takes more than a bit of doing. :ok:

Amazing how cyclists can do over 100 miles a day for 6 days running for about 3 - 5 hours per day including mountain climbs and still have energy for a 'recreational' ride on their day off when Premier League footballers get tired if they play 2 x 90 min matches in 3 days.
I won't even mention how much the footballers get paid compared t the cyclists.

treadigraph
26th Jul 2016, 08:00
I agree Chevvron, I get knackered just doing 20 miles over the nursery slopes of the North Downs!

Think you are being a mite unfair about the premiership footballers though. After all, they do need all that spare time to get their hair done, nails polished and eyebrows plucked... :p

wiggy
26th Jul 2016, 08:39
I won't even mention how much the footballers get paid compared t the cyclists.

It's not that long ago ( less than ten years) that a French pro-team domestique worked behind a local bar over the winter months to provide income/pay the bills. I'm not a great fan of the Sky "machine" but they have at least upped T&Cs in general....

As for the OP..regardless of politics he has a bit of a point, Jetblast does seem to have turned into a whingeathon of late...mention cycling and the "I hate lycra louts" brigade will no doubt start frothing at the mouth ( and in the bigger context dare we mention Chris Froomes extremely diplomatic speech which amongst other things praised France on Sunday night?), and I'm sure somebody somewhere can find a reason the gripe about England's fine test performance over the last few days. For some every cloud has a dark, sinister lining....

Nevermind, the good news is Olympics are just days away.. no politics or anything underhand there ..............

Hempy
26th Jul 2016, 08:39
And Bruce #1 takes the prize first up!

Meanwhile, the worlds best Test Cricketing nation has Sri Lanka 8/96.

Oh, and well done Froomey. Was easily the strongest rider on le tour. Having the strongest team also helped.

Given the apparent threat, it's amazing he was able to ride over the entire country without even having urine thrown at him (this year)

Peter-RB
26th Jul 2016, 09:05
Dont forget the just past Euro 2016 Football star's (allegedly), they play with the wrong shaped ball,. so I only know one by name he of the past history of being known as a "Grannysh**ger" these people earn more in a week than a normal guy will earn in 5 years hard toil , but how well they are cocooned,..so much so the little darlings could not undertake a coach trip of some 30 miles to the visit the WW1 Somme Memorial (100 years since that slaughter) because allegedly they may become exhausted , its a great pity the Soldiers walking to the Somme in 1914 didn't have the ability to ask for a break because they too may have been exhausted by the then heat +equipment+ 30 miles of walking they had to carry on then dig their own trench and (graves)...

To cap it all the said English Football team failed to win anything, but dont worry they still got their £200k a week wage..:=

Axerock
26th Jul 2016, 09:23
Thanks K&C

Great to see a thread about things positive.

And I would just like to highlight the press release from Michael Jordan. Great words.

"As a proud American, a father who lost his own dad in a senseless act of violence, and a black man, I have been deeply troubled by the deaths of African-Americans at the hands of law enforcement and angered by the cowardly and hateful targeting and killing of police officers. I grieve with the families who have lost loved ones, as I know their pain all too well.

I was raised by parents who taught me to love and respect people regardless of their race or background, so I am saddened and frustrated by the divisive rhetoric and racial tensions that seem to be getting worse as of late. I know this country is better than that, and I can no longer stay silent. We need to find solutions that ensure people of color receive fair and equal treatment AND that police officers – who put their lives on the line every day to protect us all – are respected and supported.

Over the past three decades I have seen up close the dedication of the law enforcement officers who protect me and my family. I have the greatest respect for their sacrifice and service. I also recognize that for many people of color their experiences with law enforcement have been different than mine. I have decided to speak out in the hope that we can come together as Americans, and through peaceful dialogue and education, achieve constructive change.

To support that effort, I am making contributions of $1 million each to two organizations, the International Association of Chiefs of Police’s newly established Institute for Community-Police Relations and the NAACP Legal Defense Fund. The Institute for Community-Police Relations’ policy and oversight work is focused on building trust and promoting best practices in community policing. My donation to the NAACP Legal Defense Fund, the nation’s oldest civil rights law organization, will support its ongoing work in support of reforms that will build trust and respect between communities and law enforcement. Although I know these contributions alone are not enough to solve the problem, I hope the resources will help both organizations make a positive difference.

We are privileged to live in the world’s greatest country – a country that has provided my family and me the greatest of opportunities. The problems we face didn’t happen overnight and they won’t be solved tomorrow, but if we all work together, we can foster greater understanding, positive change and create a more peaceful world for ourselves, our children, our families and our communities.”

Tankertrashnav
26th Jul 2016, 10:46
Back to the cricket. After Pakistan's win in the first test, this has to be one of the great comebacks in the game. To say that Joe Root's contribution was outstanding is stating the bleedin' obvious, but there you are - it was!

Hope Ben Stokes makes a good recovery from that nasty calf injury.

Lonewolf_50
26th Jul 2016, 14:19
Michael Jordan spoke up and backed it up, and he was immediately criticized by the BLM movement for not being black enough.

In happier news, the American ladies won the UL International Crown team event. I got to see a bit of the matches on Saturday and Sunday. Some very good play and a solid finish.

Team USA takes the UL International Crown (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/golf/2016/07/24/team-usa-takes-ul-international-crown/87512262/)

rifruffian
26th Jul 2016, 14:42
Hullo OP ....is a pleasure to read your post.....congratulations to the winners

Geordie_Expat
26th Jul 2016, 16:24
I also agree with the main content of KnC's opener but why does he always have to inject the unnecessary snide remarks as well ? I have to agree with the gist of Bruce's comment.

er340790
26th Jul 2016, 16:30
Michael Jordan spoke up and backed it up, and he was immediately criticized by the BLM movement for not being black enough.

Really? And exactly how black is black enough??? :confused:

Mind you, it is true that Obama has based much of his entire presidency on his being 'black'. Pretty ironic really, considering his mother is as white as my own. But I guess she's been largely air-brushed out. :oh:

G-CPTN
26th Jul 2016, 16:36
Really? And exactly how black is black enough??? :confused:

Mind you, it is true that Obama has based much of his entire presidency on his being 'black'. Pretty ironic really, considering his mother is as white as my own. But I guess she's been largely air-brushed out. :oh:
Similarly, Lewis Hamilton (the black Formula One driver) has a white mother.

keyboard flier
26th Jul 2016, 16:46

I would advocate the creation of a new movement called ALM - 'All Lives Matter'

BlankBox
26th Jul 2016, 23:02
Given the apparent threat, it's amazing he was able to ride over the entire country without even having urine thrown at him (this year)

...is that what you Brits mean by .. 'taking the piss' ??

Krystal n chips
27th Jul 2016, 06:53
" Meanwhile, the worlds best Test Cricketing nation has Sri Lanka 8/96

Hempy,

Alas, we have already played Sri Lanka this year but thanks for mentioning it ....;):)

Hempy
27th Jul 2016, 07:18
...is that what you Brits mean by .. 'taking the piss' ??

Brit? BRIT?? :ugh:

Chris Froome hit with urine as Tour de France fans get nasty - Cycling Weekly (http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/racing/tour-de-france/fan-throws-urine-on-chris-froome-and-calls-him-doper-at-tour-de-france-183208)

Hempy,

Alas, we have already played Sri Lanka this year but thanks for mentioning it ....

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k144/h3mpy/C08A5200-D831-4900-A2F5-DB78FDDE7FEE_zpslcugeurr.jpeg
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k144/h3mpy/4D773DD2-F717-46FC-8099-35C50AEEBFDB_zpsxfaagvl0.jpeg

:ok:

Hydromet
27th Jul 2016, 09:37
And in more sporting news, the Australian Drop Bears have won the World Quidich Championships.

wiggy
27th Jul 2016, 09:40
Hempy

Leaving aside whether Chris Froome is a plastic Brit or not the urine throwing story is so last year...:E

This year some of the more sensible roadside fans indulged in a bit of direct action when it came to publicity seeking trouble makers...:D

Tour de France fan hurls annoying doofus like a ragdoll - SBNation.com (http://www.sbnation.com/2016/7/23/12262644/tour-de-france-fan-throws-fan-video)

Sorry that it's a very short clip, there is a longer one somewhere but can't find it at the moment. History does not record what happened after the cameras passed the scene....

Hempy
27th Jul 2016, 11:11
I actually admired Froome for dishing out his own justice this year. I don't know how they put up with idiots screaming in their faces as they are climbing up a HC mountain..

An9O42iMUBw

Krystal n chips
31st Jul 2016, 14:03
Hempy....

" Meanwhile, the worlds best Test Cricketing nation has Sri Lanka 8/96 "

Ahem....."some time later" as they say.......alas ! :D:E

Jus thought I'd mention this is passing so to speak..in case you missed it ?;)

Hempy
31st Jul 2016, 15:15
Arrrgh. I was hoping this thread would die quietly!!

Mendis in the 2nd innings was just too good. 184 in a total of 353 is a fair knock.

Seldomfitforpurpose
31st Jul 2016, 15:30

Not quite sure it all went to plan though....

Sri Lanka beat Australia in Pallekele; tourists set world record in defeat - BBC Sport (http://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/36931895)

Ancient Observer
31st Jul 2016, 16:41
There are not enough teachers reading this thread. The Trots and Pinkoes that train teachers have taught them that having "Winners" is all wrong, not fair, and must not happen in skools.
The logic seems to be that if there 10 people in a race, and only one person wins, then that is bad for the other 9. That is not "democratic" So no more races. No more anything that involves winners and losers.
You really couldn't make it up.........................but the NUT does.

Hempy
31st Jul 2016, 17:17
Bit early to be plastered, isn't it?

rifruffian
31st Jul 2016, 22:01
"Meanwhile in passing so to speak".........en passant by jj goldman..........music to our ears (?)

Rule3
1st Aug 2016, 03:53
Ali Carter won the World Open Snooker. Well played that man beating Joe Perry in the Final. Ali played well until he needed one frame to win then got a little nervous and a missed a few pots. Joe made too many bad mistakes when in position to win a frame.

I watched a lot of matches and IMHO the overall potting standard in the tournament was mediocre for some reason. Neil Robertson arguably the best long pot in Snooker was terrible, and Ding,Bingham, Murphy, Selby etc didn't make the semi finals. Very unusual.

Seldomfitforpurpose
6th Aug 2016, 09:42

Pride often goes before a fall

Sri Lanka beat Australia in Galle to win Test series - BBC Sport (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/36995799)

and inside 3 days :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Hempy
6th Aug 2016, 10:50
lalalala I'm not listening to you! :{:{:ouch:

Aus last 5 Tests on the sub-continent, LLLLL. :(

Fareastdriver
6th Aug 2016, 16:47
You wait until the English learn to play cricket upside down.