PDA

View Full Version : Syrian refugees unhappy in Bute

vctenderness
25th Jul 2016, 17:12
Just read that the Syrian refugees that 'wee Burney' resettled on the Isle of Butte are complaining that it is not lively enough.

Well admittedly it's a bit quieter than war torn Syria but not much chance of being beheaded, raped, crucified, thrown of tall buildings ( not sure if Rothesay has any tall buildings) burnt alive or becoming a sex slave.

One Syrian man has attempted suicide by a novel Scottish method drinking a full bottle of whiskey:

“I love the weather. There are some people who like this weather and I like it. I like the winter. But for six, seven months now there has been nowhere to go.

"There is no movement, there is nothing. I’m not bored any more. I am depressed now.”

He also revealed that after feeling “humiliated” by council staff, he drank a whole bottle of whisky as part of a failed suicide attempt. :confused:

The families arrived in Scotland eight months ago as part of the Home Office’s Syrian Vulnerable Person Resettlement scheme, which aims to house 20,000 people in the UK by 2020 and prioritises the most vulnerable.

Maybe, as the SNP are so keen of the EU, they could follow the German example and throw a few familys out of their homes in Glasgow/Edinburgh and move them in.

Chesty Morgan
25th Jul 2016, 17:14
Well :mad: off then.

EGLD
25th Jul 2016, 17:16
http://i1.dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming/article6384798.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/JS71350481.jpg

Tankertrashnav
25th Jul 2016, 17:26
Fairly predictable. A lot of men who came home from both major world wars and more recent conflicts found they couldn't cope with the letdown of returning to a mundane day to day existence. Same thing is happening here - taken away from the risks that vctenderness lists they are struggling to cope.

Solution - thank your lucky stars you're safe, and make the best of things. There's a lot of worse places to be settled than Bute.

LTNman
25th Jul 2016, 17:39
This is why Scotland voted in. Next to no migrants including Eastern Europeans wanted to live in Scotland so they didn't have the migrant issue the English had.

B Fraser
25th Jul 2016, 18:40
What were they expecting, Knightsbridge or Mayfair ?

Anyway, credit where it's due. He was trying to fit in by downing a bottle of scotch. Who says they don't integrate ?

Cazalet33
25th Jul 2016, 18:43
Next to no migrants including Eastern Europeans wanted to live in Scotland so they didn't have the migrant issue the English had.

Spend much time in the central lowlands of Scotland?

There are dozens of thousands of Poles etc. Perhaps hundreds of thousands. Just visit a supermarket and you will hear East European languages all around you. Listen to the languages being spoken in the waiting room of a GP or at A&E. Most are Eastern European. At a dental surgery which is used by a close friend, one dentist is a Basque; two are Latvian; and one is Polish. All the dental nurses are Polish. No Brits on the dental staff at all, though the receptionist is local .

At those enormous distribution depots along the M8 corridor most of the workers are from East Europe. Very few Brits.

The reasons why so many Jockanese voted to Remain are quite different and involve some anti-Englishness and a deep sense of History. The roots of The Auld Alliance run deep. Scotland feels some empathy with France partly because of a shared problem: bloody awful neighbours!

NorthernChappie
25th Jul 2016, 19:04
One Syrian man has attempted suicide by a novel Scottish method drinking a full bottle of whiskey:

If he had drunk a bottle of whisky, it might have worked.

meadowrun
25th Jul 2016, 19:14
How soon some people forget what living in a "war torn" country was like dodging all those bullets and bombs on the way to pick up a dozen pitas day in day out.
Or perhaps it wasn't near that bad.

Beautiful plumage the Butte Blue.

AtomKraft
25th Jul 2016, 19:18
There's plenty of Scots who feel the same way about Bute- and Rothesay, but there's not a whole heck of a difference between a Syrian being bored there, and someone from Scotland being bored there.

And drinking a bottle of Whisky does not pass for a suicide attempt on Bute. More like a decent night in! :ok:

Wingswinger
25th Jul 2016, 19:26
Ah mind going' tae Rothesay for ma hols when ah wiz three. Oan the Waverley paddle steamer . It wiz grate. Whit are they whining aboot? :}

sitigeltfel
25th Jul 2016, 19:34
http://i1.dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming/article6384798.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/JS71350481.jpg

Ironically, her official residence in Edinburgh is called Bute House, and it must have plenty spare rooms to house the invaders.
Maybe that is where they thought they were going?

I wonder how many she would consider taking in? Charity begins at home, so they say!

Cazalet33
25th Jul 2016, 19:43
:D

Applause

Above The Clouds
25th Jul 2016, 19:48
Just read that the Syrian refugees that 'wee Burney' resettled on the Isle of Butte are complaining that it is not lively enough.

Well admittedly it's a bit quieter than war torn Syria but not much chance of being beheaded, raped, crucified, thrown of tall buildings ( not sure if Rothesay has any tall buildings) burnt alive or becoming a sex slave.

“I love the weather. There are some people who like this weather and I like it. I like the winter. But for six, seven months now there has been nowhere to go.

"There is no movement, there is nothing. I’m not bored any more. I am depressed now.”

He also revealed that after feeling “humiliated” by council staff, he drank a whole bottle of whisky as part of a failed suicide attempt. :confused:

The families arrived in Scotland eight months ago as part of the Home Office’s Syrian Vulnerable Person Resettlement scheme, which aims to house 20,000 people in the UK by 2020 and prioritises the most vulnerable.

Maybe, as the SNP are so keen of the EU, they could follow the German example and throw a few familys out of their homes in Glasgow/Edinburgh and move them in.
Well they can always bugger off back to were they came from, I am fairly certain people won't be out on the streets pleading for them to stay.

DirtyProp
25th Jul 2016, 19:59
Ah mind going' tae Rothesay for ma hols when ah wiz three. Oan the Waverley paddle steamer . It wiz grate. Whit are they whining aboot? :}
They said the whisky was bad.
Something along the lines of "Made in China", perhaps...?

vctenderness
25th Jul 2016, 20:01
Northern Chappie:
Quote:

You assume it was Scotch Whisky not Irish Whiskey or, indeed, American Bourbon Whiskey!

I know the difference!

Cazalet33
25th Jul 2016, 20:21
If the fecker doesn't like Bute, then send him to Dungavel.

Once upon a time a refugee from Mittel Europa went to great lengths to flee there. He ended his days on gardening leave in another prison, sans ballet.

lomapaseo
25th Jul 2016, 20:47
Northern Chappie:
Quote:

You assume it was Scotch Whisky not Irish Whiskey or, indeed, American Bourbon Whiskey!

I know the difference!

after drinking a bottle, how would you describe the difference?

GrumpyOldFart
25th Jul 2016, 20:59
"You are now living in Scotland.

You are welcome to it."

Lonewolf_50
25th Jul 2016, 21:06
after drinking a bottle, how would you describe the difference? Before, or after, I was done throwing up? (If the bottle in question is the standard fifth, even in my younger days trying to slug that down would have had me praying to the porcelain deity ...)

NorthernChappie
25th Jul 2016, 22:24
Northern Chappie:
Quote:

I know the difference! So do I, and so does the ferry guard at Wemyss Bay. None, other than Scotch shall pass. Not a drop of that Irish or American pisshhh.

meadowrun
25th Jul 2016, 23:20
Or Rye. A devilish concoction only barely drinkable by adding copious amounts of it's antidote - ginger ale.

Stanwell
26th Jul 2016, 00:54
Now, I certainly don't wave a flag for the Kamikaze Nips, but has anybody tried one of Suntory's better offerings?
There are nastier ways to kill yourself.

Pinky the pilot
26th Jul 2016, 02:40
but has anybody tried one of Suntory's better offerings?

Yes.:ok::ok:

Lonewolf_50
26th Jul 2016, 04:08
Sir, there has been a rye renaissance of late that you might find surprisingly enjoyable.

I offer, as exhibit A, the following (https://whiskeylately.com/rye/ri1/).

It got me drinking rye again.

Fareastdriver
26th Jul 2016, 08:25
A couple of years ago at THE major whisky championships the winner was a Japanese malt whisky.

Scotland loses out as Japanese whisky named best in the world - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/11204872/Scotland-loses-out-as-Japanese-whisky-named-best-in-the-world.html)

vctenderness
26th Jul 2016, 09:54
Wow! What a thread jump from whinging Syrians to Japanese Whisky in such a short time.

Can I claim the record?

Stanwell
26th Jul 2016, 12:08
Well, y'see, vcten, we are really of a humanitarian disposition on here and we're just hoping that all the suicidal Syrians
who are following this thread will realise that there are slightly more pleasant ways of killing oneself.

Yamagata ken
26th Jul 2016, 12:45
''has anyone tried one of Suntory's better offerings?''

Not Suntory, but my standard apairofteeth is Nikka Black. A bog standard whisky, but very acceptable to my not particularly discriminatry palate.

The Suntory/Nikka whisky story is quite interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikka_Whisky_Distilling
The founder, Masataka Taketsuru, travelled to Scotland in 1918 to learn the process of distilling Scotch whisky first hand. He studied organic chemistry under Prof. T. S. Patterson[citation needed] at the University of Glasgow and malt whisky production at the Hazelburn distillery, in Campbeltown near the Mull of Kintyre. He married Jessie Roberta "Rita" Cowan, the daughter of a Glasgow doctor, and returned with her to Japan in 1920. In 1923 he joined Kotobukiya (currently Suntory) and helped to establish a distillery before starting Nikka in 1934.[1] After their deaths, the company was run by their adoptive son, Takeshi Taketsuru, who expanded its business substantially.

piperboy84
26th Jul 2016, 13:04
If they miss the ever present danger of death, destruction, violence and mayhem sent them over to Dundee for a weekend.

Metro man
26th Jul 2016, 13:21
That's another problem with these guys from the Middle East, not only have they never seen a naked woman before and can't cope at a swimming pool, they can't hold their liquor either.

Australia had a major problem with drink driving accidents caused by Sudanese refugees who never having drank alcohol before, didn't know important little details such as quantities which could be safely consumed and the rate at which it should be knocked back.

These guys made the aboriginals look like amateurs when it came to binge drinking. Any race of people which aren't used to alcohol and suddenly get their hands on it inevitably fare badly.

A tour around the pubs at chucking out time should be mandatory before someone is allowed to buy alcohol.

Peter-RB
26th Jul 2016, 14:21
Re the Bute Syrian's,
perhaps a shed load of us from nearby should arrange to take a Shooting trip, station ourselves around their drum, commence a few hours practice blasting away with our weapons(shotguns make a big bang) then set a few petrol bombs off in the street and back yard, then stop, kick the door in, and tell em "We will be back" ....
I bet they would love that...reminds me of down town Syria the local papers would report..:ok:

sitigeltfel
26th Jul 2016, 14:38
If they miss the ever present danger of death, destruction, violence and mayhem sent them over to Dundee for a weekend.

Aye, stick them in Fintry, Ardler or the Hilltoon for a couple of days and they will be begging to go back to Syria. ;)

bcgallacher
26th Jul 2016, 18:11
When the Scottish government placed Syrian families with children on Bute I thought it was completely stupid. There is virtually no employment available there,the population is falling as the young need to find work on the mainland. I would have thought that it was better to put them where there was work available. If I was in their position I think I would be depressed too. If you wish to integrate immigrants they should be placed in an environment where that is possible.

Fareastdriver
26th Jul 2016, 18:35
How come he gets all this money to buy bottles of whisky.

EGLD
26th Jul 2016, 18:59
There are dozens of thousands of Poles etc. Perhaps hundreds of thousands. Just visit a supermarket and you will hear East European languages all around you. Listen to the languages being spoken in the waiting room of a GP or at A&E. Most are Eastern European. At a dental surgery which is used by a close friend, one dentist is a Basque; two are Latvian; and one is Polish. All the dental nurses are Polish. No Brits on the dental staff at all, though the receptionist is local .

At those enormous distribution depots along the M8 corridor most of the workers are from East Europe. Very few Brits.!

I wonder how many locals asked/wanted such a change in demographics?

Or do you think the decision was perhaps all part of a lefty career
policitian's attempt to climb up the greasy Euro pole?

DirtyProp
26th Jul 2016, 19:39
When the Scottish government placed Syrian families with children on Bute I thought it was completely stupid. There is virtually no employment available there,the population is falling as the young need to find work on the mainland. I would have thought that it was better to put them where there was work available. If I was in their position I think I would be depressed too. If you wish to integrate immigrants they should be placed in an environment where that is possible.

Or maybe they didn't want them to stay and put them in a crappy place with crappy whisky.
I may have to re-evaluate those Scots......:E

edi_local
26th Jul 2016, 19:57
I wonder how many locals asked/wanted such a change in demographics?

Or do you think the decision was perhaps all part of a lefty career
policitian's attempt to climb up the greasy Euro pole?

Well seeing as how a very openly pro-EU party continues to win Scottish elections and overwhelmingly represents Scotland in WM, and indeed every single area of Scotland voted remain in the EU, I would imagine that there is very little resentment towards our EU residents.

In fact I don't need to imagine it, I live here. I know about a hundred or so Eastern Europeans who live around Scotland (mainly Glasgow, Dundee and Edinburgh) and I must say I haven't heard a peep from any of them about facing hostility since the EU vote and indeed other than the odd clearly tongue in cheek comment from friends or workmates I've never heard a bad word against them either.

So yes, I'd say we are a pretty open and welcoming bunch up here to be honest.

On the subject of Bute. I was there not even a week ago. I wasn't overly impressed either to be honest, but then I was only there for a daytrip, I had an escape route at least. I don't know how many Syrian families live on Bute, I saw one of them out and about (judge me if you will but I guess Bute doesn't have a large natural population of Burka wearing women, so it must have been them) and they looked like they were having a nice time.

EGLD
26th Jul 2016, 20:50
I didn't ask if you were welcoming, I asked if it was something you wanted or asked for.

I live in West London, I really don't need to be patronised about living alongside other nationalities.

GrandPrix
26th Jul 2016, 21:00
They cowardly run from the unevolved Shiite-holes and come to the west to turnaround and make their new homes into the unevolved Shiite-holes they fled from. It makes no sense.

Tankertrashnav
26th Jul 2016, 22:18
I know about a hundred or so Eastern Europeans who live around Scotland (mainly Glasgow, Dundee and Edinburgh) and I must say I haven't heard a peep from any of them about facing hostility since the EU vote and indeed other than the odd clearly tongue in cheek comment from friends or workmates I've never heard a bad word against them either.

Fair enough. Have you asked any English residents the same questions? ;)

BlankBox
26th Jul 2016, 22:48
...didn't know Scotland made halal screech...should peddle stuff that in the middle east :ok:

B Fraser
27th Jul 2016, 07:12
Maybe they should all move to Clackmannanshire. All of the Mullahs are recommending it. Alloa Ahkbar !

;)

Krystal n chips
27th Jul 2016, 18:05
Now that some of you have indulged yourselves, as ever, here's something you seem to have conveniently missed....

Syrian refugees share their love of Bute - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-36904315)

The story it seems, emanated from that bigoted rag you all profess to hate, but, in reality, read avidly....enter....the Mail.

EGLD
27th Jul 2016, 19:37
Did you just post a link from the BBC whilst arguing against bias/bigotry? :D

I read it in the Telegraph, personally.

Cazalet33
27th Jul 2016, 20:16
I rather liked the cabbage patch imagery of the Royals in today's Torygraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/news/2016/07/27/104191959_royal_family_papier_mache-NEWS-large_trans++aBJSHwufYM_Fh0ArUj1her-t6dB6L3MQWxU597CYYjI.jpg

vs69
28th Jul 2016, 15:49
Come on K n C don't be bringing balance to this thread,the only valid quotable source is the daily heil. Or the express.

Doctor Cruces
28th Jul 2016, 17:38
Can't blame 'em. I wouldn't be either! :)

Super VC-10
28th Jul 2016, 18:25
If they're missing the danger, there's always going to see Celtic vs Rangers a few times a year.

RAT 5
28th Jul 2016, 20:38
Anyway, credit where it's due. He was trying to fit in by downing a bottle of scotch. Who says they don't integrate ?

Glad he didn't try to eat a sporran thinking it was what the locals call a haggis. There's integration & integration!

Cazalet33
28th Jul 2016, 20:48
After a while, they go native.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5133/5536884872_958411b5a7_z.jpg

meadowrun
28th Jul 2016, 20:52
Ah Ha!

That famous Scottish deception...
The tartan bag full of Scotch with a straw.

edi_local
28th Jul 2016, 21:34
Fair enough. Have you asked any English residents the same questions? ;)

Other than my own mother and my best friend who are both English, no, I don't really know many English in Scotland to be honest. Half of my family is and have no issues whatsoever when they come here. I can tell you that both are SNP voters though and haven't had any abuse directed at them in the many years both have lived here. One of the most active SNP members in my town is from Manchester too. I'm not sure what point it is you're trying to make.

I also spent 4 years in London, where I got a less than favourable attitude from some when they found out I supported the SNP, but strangely only after the referendum which saw us vote to stay in the UK. One woman, my supervisor at the time told me that "I really wanted you all to piss off, why don't you just go back anyway, England doesn't want you lot, take the hint". I found a lot of ignorance towards Scotland in my time down south, not from the majority, but still, some of the things I heard from people were very obtuse. One of my colleagues, an English born and bred girl of about 25 asked me if I needed a work permit to come to England, if we drive on the other side of the road and what language we speak in Scotland. The same girl also asked why Scotland would want to be independent because "it's such a small island, it wouldn't cope". She is just one of the many, albeit extreme, cases where I thought ignorance really was quite high. Mind you she wasn't too typical but I would say in general there wasn't a great knowledge of Scotland. I met very few English who had ever been North of the border. On the whole though I have positive memories of my time in London, which only ended at the start of this year.

EGLD
28th Jul 2016, 21:56
when they found out I supported the SNP, but strangely only after the referendum which saw us vote to stay in the UK

If their objections to you were based on your support for the SNP, then why on earth would they change those opinions when the vote was to stay? :confused:

On the whole though I have positive memories of my time in London, which only ended at the start of this year.

A Scotsman will always be welcome in London :ok:

edi_local
28th Jul 2016, 22:01
If their objections to you were based on your support for the SNP, then why on earth would they change those opinions when the vote was to stay? :confused:

I have no idea, but it was the reality. At first they didn't like I supported the SNP anyway, but then after the indyref they seemed to be more annoyed we voted to stay. I guess they saw the SNP as troublemakers, but they were on the same side of the argument?

Tankertrashnav
29th Jul 2016, 00:40
edi-local Certainly when I was last in Scotland over 20 years ago, and on many occasions before that I never met with any hostility because of my Englishness. I have had anecdotal evidence however that this has been on the increase in recent years,possibly because of a rise in nationalism, partly because of the "Braveheart" affect (bloody stupid film!), but I'll have to take your word for it. But I would take some convincing that no English person has ever been told to "piss off back to England". I'd like to visit more frequently, but these days after driving up the motorways from Cornwall I would have lost the will to live by Carlisle, and I dont fancy a 10 hour train journey to Edinburgh!

reynoldsno1
29th Jul 2016, 00:48
The locals are even wearing hijabs as well ...

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/e2/b9/94/e2b994cfdc93bedfccc7502996fe76b6.jpg

edi_local
29th Jul 2016, 20:29
edi-local Certainly when I was last in Scotland over 20 years ago, and on many occasions before that I never met with any hostility because of my Englishness. I have had anecdotal evidence however that this has been on the increase in recent years,possibly because of a rise in nationalism, partly because of the "Braveheart" affect (bloody stupid film!), but I'll have to take your word for it. But I would take some convincing that no English person has ever been told to "piss off back to England". I'd like to visit more frequently, but these days after driving up the motorways from Cornwall I would have lost the will to live by Carlisle, and I dont fancy a 10 hour train journey to Edinburgh!

I don't doubt that there are some out there who would tell an Englishman to piss off home, but I really object to the fact that people think the independence movement or the SNP are anything to do with that mentality. I want independence because I simply don't see why Scotland and the rest of the UK have any benefit in being politically joined anymore. There is a clear divide in the politics. I just don't see any merit in keeping this union together in it's current form. I daresay our relationship will flourish as co-operative neighbours rather than forced bedfellows. The EU vote has just highlighted that to me. I have never come across any anti-English sentiment in recent times, at least nothing more than tongue in cheek piss taking between friends and I don't understand why the SNP are made out to be anti-English too. I have never come across that in any SNP policy, speech or manifesto.

The only thing that could potentially save the union is a complete and total overhaul of Westminster, by making it an English parliament, similar to the devolved governments. Having a system where no matter how Scotland, Wales and NI vote on any matter whatsoever is always going to be outweighed by England cannot continue, surely? That makes a mockery of the word "Union" as it's not. It's just one leading the others. A federal system where the UK wide issues are debated by an equal number of representatives from the constituent countries would be much fairer and would probably kill the independence movement dead, yet no one seems to want to make those kind of changes, so I do wonder how dedicated to the union most governments really are. Each parliamentary term we have seems to just push the 4 nations apart even more, especially Scotland. You can't blame the SNP for wanting change, perhaps if they were listened to more instead of jeered and ridiculed we might actually all be able to move forward in a positive way. England needs a party like the SNP to speak up for them, but the only problem is, in the current method, they would be elected to serve the UK parliament and that would just add to the problems as England does not equal UK.

Cazalet33
29th Jul 2016, 20:50
EDI, if you don't like the idea of Scotland being integrated into the rest of Britain, how do you feel about Syria being integrated into Bute?