PDA

View Full Version : Help me cross out paths not to take

Flion
24th Jul 2016, 20:35
Dear pilots and wannabes,
I've been reading this forum and trying to inform myself about my possibilities, if there are any. However time passes very fast and I urgently need to decide whether to go into it or to quit the idea forever. I will try to make it short and any feedback will be appreciated.
Nationality Bosnian, age 35 in July 2016, M. Arch, joined Qatar Airways as a cabin crew year and a half ago and, if any posibility there is, I'd quit and go to the (flying) school again, full time.

1. I was looking for a cadetship programs but as I could have seen, all of these programs require appropriate nationality and/or up to 35 years of age. If that is correct, I'd cross out that option and reduce the number of possible choices which would be very beneficial at this lack-of-time moment. Question: Is there a cadetship program for me anywhere in the world?

2. Bosnia has no aviation at all and is not a part of EU so no work permit for me and I guess I can only work as an expat in Africa-Asia. I wonder might there be opportunities for someone who will get out of school at age 37? Should I give up the idea?

3. If there still is some posibility for me, still in doubt whether frozen ATPL or FAA, or some other licence? I'd like to go for FAA as it should be faster and cheaper to obtain (that's also my old wish to live in US and sharpen up my English) however, not sure how much is it accepted out of the States and straight from the school (no flying hours accumulated). I.e. QR does accept out of school EASA f/ATPL but does not accept FAA (one has to have Airline Transport Pilot licence exam which can be taken with at least 1500 hours). Am I correct about this?

4. What is the future of the expats in Asia-Africa regarding the pilot's career? I talked with a pilot who worked for Lion Air and he told me there are fewer opportunities every day for expats as they are hiring locals more and more - company or nation policy to give a chance to locals to get this lucrative jobs. That seems logical to me. What are your assumptions for the future period?

Could you, please, help me make up my mind with any comment? Thanks

Griffon_PMI
27th Jul 2016, 13:33
Hi there,

I see no one said anything but I think I can put a bit from my side... I dont know if it will clear your ideas.

The age is a bit of an issue, I am in the same range but with my licences and some experience. On the other hand, I always said to give it a go!
If youre thinking on trying Africa, you could make a move in South Africa for training, or try some modular in Europe. Why modular? Cause in Africa you will not need a full ATPL, or a ME IR initially, but a CPL SEP and some hundreds of hours can make the thing work in Botswana or Namibia. (see african forums)

I would say, 400 hrs SEP with a CPL will be enough, but I encourage you to take an IR SEP too. That is reducing cost and time. But you will need to make some sacrifices to get that job... money and time.

An instructor rating can help too...

Now, if what you want is a position in an airline with big nice planes.... unless you really know someone that can guarantee you a job straight out of school, or you have the big amount of money needed to push you trough other younger candidates, you have a big chance to get stuck on the way.

Post me if I can be of any help... (except for money);)

EC DKN
27th Jul 2016, 13:47
The airline that takes more fresh graduates out of school is Ryanair and they don't make any different if you are modular or integrated. Then you have Easyjet that only hires integrated ones. The rest of the airlines hire pilots from all the backgrounds provided you have experience.

Good luck.

Flion
8th Aug 2016, 05:20
Guys,
Thanks for the reply. Griffon I'd love to get in touch and exchange a few words with you, however I can't contact you since I have Probationary Restrictions. Any ideas how we can get in touch? Thanks

Griffon_PMI
9th Aug 2016, 15:36
I have sent you a PM, Flion.

Let me know if it does not work.

Brgds