PDA

View Full Version : What is going on in Kabul?

Kulverstukas
23rd Jul 2016, 19:48
Nobody gives a f**k.

Lonewolf_50
23rd Jul 2016, 19:55
ISIS claims Afghanistan explosion that kills dozens - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/23/asia/afghanistan-explosion/)

It appears that the long running struggle for who runs things in Afghanistan has another party involved. If you look at the number of bombings and attacks in Kabul in the past five or six years, it seems uneven but ISIS appear to be trying to establish a larger footprint. The attack, the worst in terms of casualties in months, drew attention to ISIS instead of the Taliban, which had been blamed for recent bombings. Is there a turf war going on between Taliban and ISIS, or are they trying to make common cause?

I have no idea.

Accounting for up to one-fifth of Afghanistan's population, Hazaras, a Persian-speaking people who mainly live in central Afghanistan, have long been branded outsiders for their Shia faith and far Asian features in the country dominated by followers of the Sunni branch of Islam, according to a 2008 National Georgraphic article. The Hazara in the past have demanded the government protect them from attacks blamed on the Sunni Taliban and ISIS. It is tough for the government, who are still struggling to be in charge, to protect an open/peaceful protest against suicide bombers. THis peaceful protest by a minority group seems to have been to good a chance to pass up for the ISIS goons. So they did what they do: blow up a crowd.
For a telling (but not the most graphic) illustration of what happened there, from the linked article ...
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/160723101941-09-kabul-explosion-0723-exlarge-169.jpg

Suicide bombers have the initiative.
That sucks. These folks are not getting a fair shake from the government, hence the protest, and now they get screwed by some other batch of :mad: 's.

ORAC
23rd Jul 2016, 20:11
What's always been going on in Kabul for the last 50 years...

Axerock
24th Jul 2016, 00:07
Who cares - it is only Afghanistan. We are just interested in the popular places! If we dont identify with the people or with the places being targeted - then we cannot generate that sense of outrage. And it is only the outrage which makes things newsworthy nowadays.

And when we do get that lovely feeling of outrage, then we can then trot out our prepared statements highlighting our already entrenched views. The more these events occur, then the more we repeat and are able to re-enforce our rightness and everyone elses wrongness, and the more that our views become more radicalized.

- The gun lobby blame the lack of guns - if everyone had guns they could stop the bad guys.
- The anti gun lobby blame the availability of guns - if nobody had guns it wouldn't have started
- The Christians blame all of Islam
- Islamic fanatics blame the west as well as each other.
- The atheists jump in and blame all religions
- The blacks blame the whites and the whites blame the blacks (not sure where zebras stand in all of this. we can only hope that they will destroy themselves in a mass suicide bought on by self loathing)
- The poor blame the uncaring rich
- The rich blame the lazy poor
- feminists blame the myth of male superiority
- misogynists blame feminazis
- warmongers want to bomb 'them' (without knowing or caring who and where) into oblivion
- the pacifists would like everyone to join in a group hug and 'just love and respect each other'. Not sure whether this will launch a series of sexual harassment suits.

I think that in the future we should prepare posts for these type of events with a template of the standard postions and then attach voting buttons. This will make it easier for us to contribute without actually having to think about the topic.

Tankertrashnav
24th Jul 2016, 00:14
What's always been going on in Kabul for the last 50 years...

Make that 150 years, or any other first digit you may care to use.

Kulverstukas
24th Jul 2016, 00:35
Also moderators changed WTF to What to show some respect for poor Afghani people - Deutch and French threads are still WTF-style.

Lonewolf_50
24th Jul 2016, 02:14
... we should prepare posts for these type of events with a template of the standard postions and then attach voting buttons. This will make it easier for us to contribute without actually having to think about the topic. If you have spent any time on JB, you'll note that this is already in progress. (PS, enjoyed your post. :ok: )

lomapaseo
24th Jul 2016, 03:14
What is going on in Kabul?
Nobody gives a f**k.

shhh ... don't encourage us to send in any more troops until they're out of bomb making materials or volunteers to plant them

Norman Deplume
24th Jul 2016, 03:27
- The gun lobby blame the lack of guns - if everyone had guns they could stop the bad guys.
- The anti gun lobby blame the availability of guns - if nobody had guns it wouldn't have started
- The Christians blame all of Islam
- Islamic fanatics blame the west as well as each other.
- The atheists jump in and blame all religions
- The blacks blame the whites and the whites blame the blacks (not sure where zebras stand in all of this. we can only hope that they will destroy themselves in a mass suicide bought on by self loathing)
- The poor blame the uncaring rich
- The rich blame the lazy poor
- feminists blame the myth of male superiority
- misogynists blame feminazis
- warmongers want to bomb 'them' (without knowing or caring who and where) into oblivion
- the pacifists would like everyone to join in a group hug and 'just love and respect each other'. Not sure whether this will launch a series of sexual harassment suits.[/quote]

Wow, I really am impressed with your summary. No joke. I can identify each of those with people on here, and four of those categories apply to me (although the description is a bit black and white, no pun intended).

e.g.
I am pro gun but don't blame lack of guns, quite the opposite actually.

I am an atheist but don't blame all religions.

I'm not rich, but I'm definitely not poor anymore. I blame hard work, determination and a bit of luck for that. I do blame the lazy for their own poverty in a lot of cases though. Some people expect everything for nothing....

White, yes I am. But I don't blame blacks. I blame people. Some black, some white, some other colours....Mainly I blame idiots. And idiots come in all colours, sometimes even white....take me for example.

Warmonger I am not, but I do advocate pounding the opposition into a fine pulp when that is the only alternative. I know that is a rather quaint, old fashioned idea, but it seems to work on occasion, but only as a last resort.

Please add sub categories to your categories. It is an interesting social commentary. 6.5 out of 10 :)

Suicide bombing applies to only one group though. And they are muslims.

Toadstool
24th Jul 2016, 04:41
Nobody gives a f**k.

I imagine the Afghanis and those nations who still have troops in and around Kabul actually care quite a deal.

Axerock
24th Jul 2016, 07:18
Thanks for the scoring Mr Deplume. Much appreciated.

I too identify with multiple groups.

I like guns but dont own any at present - sold the rifles and shotguns when i went travelling. They were used for hunting duck, possum, goat, pig, rabbit which were classed as vermin on the local farms (but not for shooting lions or dentists or toilet doors). I did not feel the need to use them for self defense - perhaps i lived in happier times.

I have travelled a bit and have met a lot of people on the journey of life. Whites, Asians and Africans, Christians and Muslims and Buddhists. I have even met a vegan that i liked (but only the one)! Most of these people were great and some of them were as*holes. That was not dictated by their race or religion - it was dictated by the individual and their upbringing.

Suicide bombing is an interesting concept to consider. I would put the need for suicide bombing to be more in terms of being the only weapons delivery system that they can use to reliably place the explosives at their target (I think back to the Japanese Kamikaze, the German Torpedo riders but will avoid mentioning the Suicide Squads from the Judean Peoples Front). I would assume that if they all had access to drone weapons platforms and reliable technology that they would be more than happy to lob the bombs from 6000 miles away.

I note with dismay that the Germans entry in the mass shootings competition has now been superseded by another shooting in Dallas.

I am saddened with how frequently these events are now occurring and dismayed at the number of different individuals and groups that feel the need to express their points of view by taking the away the lives of others.

Anyway back to my wine, tv, and waiting while my 12yo son attempts to cook dinner for the family. I wonder what the world will be like in 10 years time and what my children's passions and joys and fears will be.

sitigeltfel
24th Jul 2016, 09:26
Maybe they should rename the place, "Kaboom"!

Stanwell
24th Jul 2016, 10:17
I like yer style Axerock.
The perfect mix of verite and good attitude is most welcome. :ok:

p.s. I, too, once met a vegan that I could converse with for more than 90 seconds.

Kulverstukas
24th Jul 2016, 11:42
I wonder what the world will be like in 10 years time

In mean time invasion of another country with mass killings of local people was "we bring you high culture", lately it's "we bring you democracy". What's next?

Lonewolf_50
24th Jul 2016, 13:58
Kulverstukas, are you suggesting that the Mongols brought high culture to the steppes as they swept west?

Kulverstukas
24th Jul 2016, 14:23
I was talking about recent 200 years, but about Mongols, why not? Until some borders of their invasion, their military and legal culture was higher than that of tribes they go through.

Geordie_Expat
24th Jul 2016, 16:28
Maybe they should rename the place, "Kaboom"!

That is in really bad taste - LOVE IT :ok:

Tankertrashnav
24th Jul 2016, 16:56
In mean time invasion of another country with mass killings of local people was "we bring you high culture", lately it's "we bring you democracy". What's next?

Kulverstukas, when I was at university studying Russian we did a module on Soviet history. Our lecturer gave us the startling fact that in the 74 years of its existence, the Soviet Union invaded the territory of every nation with which it had a land border at one time or another. Some perfectly justifiable (Germany), others maybe not so much!

I've never attempted to verify his statement, and I don't think it has much relevance to the current discussion, but I thought it might be of interest.

LEGAL TENDER
24th Jul 2016, 17:02
Who cares - it is only Afghanistan. We are just interested in the popular places! If we dont identify with the people or with the places being targeted - then we cannot generate that sense of outrage. And it is only the outrage which makes things newsworthy nowadays.

So where do you draw the line? We don't have unlimited sympathy available for all tragic events.
The death of a close friend or relative. Or the friend of a friend. Or an ex colleague. Or a superficial contact. A stranger. There will come a point where we don't care.
The people in and near Kabul will be a lot more upset for this attack than for what happened in Nice or Paris. It's the way the world goes on. I don't see anything strange with that.
I am not outraged about people not being outraged. However I have seen people being outraged at the fact that others weren't outraged!!! :)

Kulverstukas
24th Jul 2016, 17:58
the Soviet Union invaded the territory of every nation with which it had a land border

You put it the way as if there is something bad in it ;) putting in account that you are from "the empire on which the sun never sets"...

As for "every nation" vs. "every state", then let's count nations who invaded remnants of Russian Empire after it collapses in 1917-1918 and count causalities "reds" vs. "whites"+"interventionists". So USSR brings them "workers liberation" back ;)

Lonewolf_50
24th Jul 2016, 18:06
I am not outraged about people not being outraged. However I have seen people being outraged at the fact that others weren't outraged! :)
This is the best way to respond to the OP, I may have to cut and paste that for future reference.

By the way, this morning the papers reported that the final butcher's bill is 80.

So, who actually doesn't care? The people who set off the bomb during someone else's peaceful protest, or the people who share the story with the rest of the world?

Hempy
24th Jul 2016, 18:41
Prey tell us all. Which country, in the last 100 years, has invaded another sovereign nation whom it doesn't share its borders with, the most??

Tankertrashnav
24th Jul 2016, 19:00
Looking at their honourable record in WW1 and WW2, Australia (as Commonwealth troops) must be right up there Hempy ;)

Hempy
24th Jul 2016, 19:06
Yes, we've manned up and followed what we've believed in. To the death.

How many did we start?

West Coast
24th Jul 2016, 19:27
Another way of saying that is how many did the Commonwealth do nothing about until forced?

Tankertrashnav
24th Jul 2016, 23:20
Cannot think of any war in which Commonwealth troops were forced to participate. Australia and New Zealand even decided to get involved in the mess that was Vietnam, while for once the UK took the wise decision not to try and win an unwinnable war. Pity Tony Blair didn't follow his predecessor Harold Wilson's example before charging into Iraq and Afghanistan without a plan

Hempy
25th Jul 2016, 10:01
Another way of saying that is how many did the Commonwealth do nothing about until forced?

That's pretty funny. 'Forced'? By whom? At least we turned up on time for the 2 'big ones'..

WW1, WW2, Korea, Afghanistan, Iraq. All volunteers.

The draft was enacted for Vietnam....'All the way with LBJ' and all that rubbish.

Still avoiding the question btw