PDA

View Full Version : Medical Information - Asthma

Caramello
23rd Jul 2016, 05:12
So, stupid mistake admission time. Taking some probably poor advice when I started out in my career, I didn't admit to childhood Asthma on my class 1. I've had no symptoms in 20 years, and can pass the spiro tests easily, but was told i would have an easier career if I didnt list it.

My question is that, looking at the casa records, I've said no to the asthma question for the last 5 years or however long the electronic records go back. But I honestly can't remember if before that I have admitted to casa in the past that I had childhood asthma.

Would it be fair to assume that if at any point in the last 20 years I had ticked 'yes' to asthma at any point during a class 1 renewal, then a restriction would be on my class 1 (a puffer) and i'd automatically have to do the spiro tests etc every year after that?

Lastly, if I do ring up and tell them my condition, whats the likelyhood casa will take action against my licence for failing to disclose my condition all these years?

Yes, I know I'm an idiot though I doubt I'm the first person who hasn't listed childhood asthma on their medical.

Thanks.

Sunfish
23rd Jul 2016, 10:14
I would have thought childhood asthma is like chickenpox, measles, mumps and a variety of broken bones sustained in childhood. it is a condition that ceases at puberty like a stack of others that start/finish at the same time.

It is about as relevant as admitting to hay fever when the wattle blooms.

To put that another way, where does it end? Pimples during puberty? Bed wetting at age Three? Childhood allergies to nuts/dogs/cats/wool/seafood/ etc that resolve themselves as your immune system approaches adulthood? Where is the evidence linking childhood asthma to an increased risk of medical incapacity of a commercial pilot?

Supermouse3
24th Jul 2016, 01:37
if you have no real symptoms for 20 years i would think its fair to say- you no longer have asthma? you could speak to a GP and get it 'un-diagnosed'?

pjac
24th Jul 2016, 03:04
Asthma is symptomatic of a reaction by the smooth muscle in the airway. The "Asthma" I refer to in my remark, does not apply to Cardiac Asthma -but simply, the reaction one has, as a child or episodes later in life. A young person can have these reactions which become less frequent as the child grows older, then seems to disappear in the teens. That said, it can (and often,does), return with old age. I consider that if you do not suffer from asthma as a young adult, then for the declaration of a medical certification, it is not relevant.

Old Akro
24th Jul 2016, 03:10
Lastly, if I do ring up and tell them my condition, whats the likelyhood casa will take action against my licence for failing to disclose my condition all these years?

CASA AVMED is not on your side. Never ever ever mistake them for being friendly or supportive or interested in helping.

It is common to have childhood asthma which you "grow out of" Sometimes it returns with old age, sometimes not. Sometimes people get asthma in old age when they have never had it before in their life. The link is not understood.

As far as CASA is concerned, if you don't have symptoms and you aren't o n medication - then you don't have Asthma. You may or may not experience symptoms again. If you do, worry about what to tell CASA then.

Caramello
25th Jul 2016, 08:24
Thanks for replies. I can only hope that I've not declared this to CASA in the past, as if new next employer does a data match with CASA records and it appears somewhere, it could make life difficult. Conversely if I disclose the condition to the next employer, they may wonder why I haven't told CASA. Casa then may target me. Not a fun situation, but one of my own making.

Two_dogs
25th Jul 2016, 09:49
No
No
No
No
No
No
Do you exercise for 30 min 3 times a week Yes
No
No
No
No
No

There's only ONE answer required in the affirmative.

mattyj
29th Jul 2016, 07:08
Just say on your next medical that you've been having a bit of wheezing at night since you got the shagpile layed in the bedroom..get it re-diagnosed..put an inhaler in your flight bag and carry on

Old Akro
29th Jul 2016, 09:22
In my opinion, you need to read the CASA AVMED questions carefully and answer only what they ask. Typically these questions are about prescribed drugs (ventolin inhalers do not necessarily require a prescription), days off work, hospital admissions, etc. You are not in a position to diagnose any illness. You are not qualified to label some wheezing that is relieved by ventolin as Asthma. In fact, I think if you got a number of respiratory physicians in a room, you might struggle to get consensus on what defines Asthma, so be careful using labels.

CASA AVMED are not here to help. They are the enemy. Look after your health. Investigate and treat any illness thoroughly. Act responsibly. But never ever mix this up with what CASA wants / needs to know. Treat your obligations to inform CASA separately and do what is required to the letter. Not anything more. Not anything less.

Squawk7700
29th Jul 2016, 09:30
The key word here that appears to be missed is TREATMENT. If the condition has a treatment plan or has been treated and will not likely re-occur, you should be fine.

If you declare some form of asthma with no doctors report or treatment plan / asthma management plan, then you are headed for problems.

Sunfish
29th Jul 2016, 10:05
following Squawk, if you haven't been treated for asthma as an adult then you don't have asthma. What your parents told you you had as a child is hearsay and not relevant.

airdualbleedfault
30th Jul 2016, 00:48
Listen to old akro and 2 dogs, 100% on the money, as a 27 year class 1 holder and ex asthmatic I can confirm that avmed are NOT there to help. Unless it is a blindingly obvious affliction do not answer yes to anything, and whatever you do NEVER say you have trouble sleeping (which affects half the population)