PDA

View Full Version : Derek Davidson

r10bbr
23rd Jul 2016, 02:22
hi a fellow newbie here, wanted to ask has anyone come across the following site:

Derek Davidson Pilot Training - Derek Davidson Flight Instructor and Examier (http://www.derekdavidsonpilottraining.co.uk)

in particular the '' 3 WEEK EASA PPL COMPLETION ''
any feedback or reviews would be grateful , as that i am deciding whether to travel to the states to complete my PPL or here in the UK, also is it possible to complete the PPL in the 3 weeks period, if flying is observed on average 3/4 hours a day?

regards

r10bbr
24th Jul 2016, 17:10
anyone can shed any info please?

An0maly
24th Jul 2016, 18:11
I've not flown with Derek Davidson however I can comment about the accelerated training in the US , my advice is not to do it . I did an accelerated course for my PPL and regretted doing so when I moved on to my IR .

My PPL training was rushed and my instructor didn't introduce me to using the radio properly or flight following which did take a toll on my IR training as I had only ever used the radio to communicate with Ground and Tower at local airports. Short field / Soft field landings were patched in just before my check ride and I didn't really get the hang of them till I did my commercial training , even normal landings were a bit wobbly and never got addressed. The accelerated training is geared to get you to pass , you don't learn finesse and some of the examiners pass people that have no business being near an air plane.

It took some of my hour building to fix the gaps i had in my PPL training and I did regret that I hadn't had more time for lessons to soak in and to receive better training standards for what would be the base line for a chosen career path. If you plan on doing it for recreational purposes and won't mind taking baby steps on your own after getting your license to fix any possible gaps then do it , but don't get your license and plan a flight from East coast to west coast or go anywhere near Class B airspace till you feel that you're up for it and have some experience under your belt.

If you can spare the time then just go with a standard PPL course in the US from a good school , it would probably take you 4-8 weeks in Florida.

Just my 2 cents and good luck :ok:

rifruffian
24th Jul 2016, 19:05
Derek Davidson flight training or flight training at any well established place.....your time frame required to qualify depends on your aptitude and weather.
You can easily check weather records for your chosen area and time of year. Aptitude......suck it and see.
I well understand that personal time and financial considerations encourage us to seek to achieve qualifications in minimum time......do not be disheartened if you need more time and money than minimums.......the time it takes is the time it needs.
I do not know him ....Derek Davidson has been in flight training a long time....all reports I have read are positive.

parkfell
25th Jul 2016, 13:47
When you say "complete" your PPL, that suggests that you have been training elsewhere?
As Anomaly quite rightly points out, you cannot rush the process.. You need time for the osmosis to work. And the thought of doing 3 to 4 hours a day is simply nonsense.
Unless you are " an ace of the base " then you cannot absorb it that quickly, the quality is compromised, and the final standard of your flying will be an issue

It also depends how far along the track you are, and what ground exams are complete. Transferring between schools does need all the loose ends to be tied up.

Probably more to it than meets the eye........?

r10bbr
25th Jul 2016, 17:59
i have completed all my ground exams, currently i have flown just shy of 45 hours, waiting to go solo, then complete cross country/nav etc. i'v decided to change schools due to being treated like a second class person, as that either my instructor does not place me in his schedule or that i have to alternate between 2/3 different instructors and have been doing circuits for the last 6 lessons..

Nil further
25th Jul 2016, 19:37
I did an accelerated ppl 2 weeks zero to hero in Orlando .heard all the crap about about don't do it and you will need to repeat etc. .......well as I look at the 15000 hrs commercial time since I can't say that it has done me any harm at all.

Make your own mind up , don't listen to the naysayers here.

Genghis the Engineer
25th Jul 2016, 22:16
I suspect that much of that will depend upon the quality of instruction.

I think that I have twice ever had a conversation with Mr Davidson, and have never flown with him. However, a former student of mine did a course with him last year, was full of praise, and when I subsequently flew with my ex student this spring for other reasons, the learning seemed to have thoroughly stuck.

I have a lower opinion of some other instructors, who had delivered an intensive course - and a dangerously deficient pilot.

G

r10bbr
26th Jul 2016, 03:55
did the former student do the PPL 3 week course?

parkfell
26th Jul 2016, 14:30
Do I understand that with 40+ hours, you have yet to go (first?) solo?
When did you start to learn to fly?
How many hours in the last 3 months & 1 month?

r10bbr
26th Jul 2016, 17:08
i started in Feb, and since then i have been flying 4-5 hours a week , due to instructors not been available or bad weather i am where i am, thus i am looking at elsewhere to complete my ppl,

r10bbr
26th Jul 2016, 17:09
hi Nil further, may i ask what school in orlando did you complete the ppl?

r10bbr
27th Jul 2016, 14:54
can any one refer me to schools within the uk that do intensive PPL Course?
regards

A320baby
27th Jul 2016, 16:04
I did my PPL and exams with DD some years ago, I am now flying a heavy for a major UK airline.. Never did me any harm

Genghis the Engineer
29th Jul 2016, 10:17
robber - could I suggest that maybe you follow forum rules and keep this all on one thread?

G