PDA

View Full Version : Phishing scam

gemma10
22nd Jul 2016, 09:18
Had one of these on my iphone this am. Apparently I bought a CD of Adele for £10.98 from itunes. No I didn`t, I can`t stand the woman. If you did not buy this click here, then a page with my previous address 18 months ago and an incorrect phone number followed by a request for bank details. All on my bloody iphone. Quite common now according to Apple. Anyone else getting these? :mad:

Tarq57
22nd Jul 2016, 10:19
I've had pretty realistic emails purporting to be from apple serving as a "reminder to verify account" (or something similar).

Clicking on the link to verify the account took me to a site that was (to my eye) indistinguishable from the genuine apple site, only clue was the web address. Since apple (and many other businesses) have several same-same-but-different addresses anyway, depending on what you want to do/who you are/are you logged in etc, that wasn't much of a giveaway.
The giveaway was when filling out the form it required a credit card complete with verification.

Checked with apple support. It was indeed a scam. (They were real interested. So was the cyber division of our police force, for whom I filled out a form.)

andytug
22nd Jul 2016, 10:25
Whenever you get something like this, don't click the link, come out of email and go direct to the relevant site as you would normally instead, log in as normal. If there's a real issue the site will tell you. Then report it to the relevant fraud dept.

gemma10
22nd Jul 2016, 11:28
The website for reporting phishing on Apple is - [email protected]

India Four Two
23rd Jul 2016, 06:01
I use Mac Mail and when I receive a suspicious email, I just hover the mouse over the 'apparent' email address and the actual email address pops up.

I imagine this probably happens in other email applications.

ExXB
23rd Jul 2016, 07:48
How do you hover your mouse on an iPhone?

gemma10
23rd Jul 2016, 12:07
I was wondering that point

andytug
23rd Jul 2016, 16:11
Not sure about IPhone, but on Android if you long press the link you get the option "copy URL", then you could paste into notes app of your choice?

Pontius Navigator
23rd Jul 2016, 19:28
Many of these scams actually use the parent web site and modify only their bit. In other words the bank contact us details will be genuine. Should you Actually contact the bank then the scam fails, but the scam only needs to succeed one in a hundred.