PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous place to be a pilot in 2003

Tw1nkle
22nd Jul 2016, 07:56
Hi
I'm writing a novel set in 2003, and an element of the plot involves a pilot working in a dangerous location. Having looked on the internet, there doesn't appear to be anything specific at that time, but I'm an outsider. I'm grateful for any knowledge.
Thanks.

chevvron
23rd Jul 2016, 02:23
Wouldn't Somalia fit the bill?

Tarq57
23rd Jul 2016, 02:47
Dangerous in what way?
Terrain, weather, type of operation, or outside interference (hostile locals)?

So many elements can be involved in what you'd call "dangerous".

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
23rd Jul 2016, 06:34
Nepal.....

Coochycool
23rd Jul 2016, 18:31
Operation Iraqi Freedom. The allied invasion of Iraq and deposing of Saddam Hussein

Been a dangerous place ever since unfortunately

PAXfips
23rd Jul 2016, 18:46
Liberian War, Sudan/Dafur War,..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003

WHBM
23rd Jul 2016, 23:07
In many third world locations far more pilot's lives are lost in road traffic accidents, general crime, and inappropriate local medical treatment of minor injuries than in aviation incidents.

Tw1nkle
24th Jul 2016, 09:45
Thank you for the replies. I should give further detail in that by 'dangerous' I mean somewhere hostile to fly and stay as a pilot. If possible somewhere that would command a premium salary and albeit a bit far-fetched, possibly no links with family and friends for the duration of working there. If that existed then I'd be appreciative of any knowledge! Many thanks.

vctenderness
24th Jul 2016, 18:20
The places crew considered dangerous were usually based on personal safety. Lagos, Nairobi, Entebbe, Detroit would be high on the list.

Operationally 'dangerous' is a completely different matter.

Wirbelsturm
24th Jul 2016, 18:23
I did a stint in Dakar around that time!!! Eritrea, Ethiopia and Somalia as your neighbours, hellishly hot, dirty, dusty and sandy.

Stayed in the local Sheraton which was really only safe accommodation for the rats that infested the place. Anybody earning anything over USD10 a day was deemed fair game for the local gangs and the gangs coming in from over the borders.

Lovely time was had by all!

jensdad
24th Jul 2016, 22:22
Wirbelsturm, do you not mean Djibouti? Dakar's a long way from Eritrea, Somalia and Ethiopia :)

Wirbelsturm
25th Jul 2016, 10:25
Ooops,

Quite correct, such an impression on my memory it made!

Must proof read better! Thanks! :uhoh:

Tw1nkle
25th Jul 2016, 16:25
Thank you very much Wirbelsturm. That's the kind of realistic experience I was looking for to include within the detail, although I'm sorry you had such an awful sounding time of it! Good luck with future, less dangerous operations :)