PDA

View Full Version : Airservices reports more than $10 million loss this financial year

Dick Smith
22nd Jul 2016, 00:27
In an article in The Australian newspaper this morning headed, “Airservices loses 523 to voluntary redundancy” it mentions there will be more than a $10 million loss this year.

This is of course nothing compared to the losses they are going to force on General Aviation with the $32 million plus ADSB mandate for all aircraft which fly in cloud from next February.

Everyone tells me this is nothing other than sheer bastardry as there is clearly no safety reason for this requirement. As Jeff Boyd, Chairman of CASA made clear at the hangar meeting at Tamworth, with the Minister and Deputy Prime Minister, it’s an Airservices requirement the ADSB mandate goes ahead and is not delayed until 2021, as per the AOPA request.

Readers of this sight may remember John McCormick was quite happy to give dispensations in the same way dispensations were given on RVSM, however he later advised that Airservices refused to allow this to happen on so called safety grounds.

This of course is shown to be rubbish as they allow the military to fly in the airspace without ADSB and also allow airlines for up to 3 days to operate with a faulty unit.

It looks as if they are not only intent on sending their own organisation into losses but forcing the same on General Aviation.

I also note the article mentions the $1.5 billion OneSKY project. Wait until we hear further about that. Everyone is saying it’s going to be one of the most costly fiascos of all time – far worse than the Super Seasprite disaster.

Cloudee
22nd Jul 2016, 01:28
In an article in The Australian newspaper this morning headed, “Airservices loses 523 to voluntary redundancy” it mentions there will be more than a $10 million loss this year.

This is of course nothing compared to the losses they are going to force on General Aviation with the $32 million plus ADSB mandate for all aircraft which fly in cloud from next February.

Everyone tells me this is nothing other than sheer bastardry as there is clearly no safety reason for this requirement. As Jeff Boyd, Chairman of CASA made clear at the hangar meeting at Tamworth, with the Minister and Deputy Prime Minister, it’s an Airservices requirement the ADSB mandate goes ahead and is not delayed until 2021, as per the AOPA request.

Readers of this sight may remember John McCormick was quite happy to give dispensations in the same way dispensations were given on RVSM, however he later advised that Airservices refused to allow this to happen on so called safety grounds.

This of course is shown to be rubbish as they allow the military to fly in the airspace without ADSB and also allow airlines for up to 3 days to operate with a faulty unit.

It looks as if they are not only intent on sending their own organisation into losses but forcing the same on General Aviation.

I also note the article mentions the $1.5 billion OneSKY project. Wait until we hear further about that. Everyone is saying it’s going to be one of the most costly fiascos of all time – far worse than the Super Seasprite disaster.
Dick, haven't you read the latest from CASA regarding the success of the early roll out of ADSB? https://www.casa.gov.au/standard-page/project-1606-automatic-dependent-surveillance-broadcast-ads-b-equipment-suitable

"ADS-B is the cornerstone for Australia's transition to satellite technology based surveillance. The technology has already enabled a vast increase in the air traffic surveillance coverage over Australian territory - resulting in significant increases in operating and safety efficiencies."

Old Akro
22nd Jul 2016, 02:25
resulting in significant increases in operating and safety efficiencies

At airline altitudes maybe, but not typical GA altitudes

Frank Arouet
22nd Jul 2016, 05:12
http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr13/scud_2008/cid_part4_21738AB0_C6FAC486yahoo_com.jpg

Old Akro
22nd Jul 2016, 05:15
Safe Skies are Empty Skies

Frank Arouet
22nd Jul 2016, 06:13
Empty skies don't make money.

Dick Smith
22nd Jul 2016, 07:25
The chief pilots of the airlines have said they have gained no measurable savings by fitting ADSB.

andrewr
22nd Jul 2016, 07:40
This may explain.

I don't think so. I doubt that 75% of private pilots dropped out of the system in 2 years - even a major change in medical requirements is unlikely to hit 3/4 of the population.

More likely a badly explained change in the way they count (which the note at the bottom suggests).

Ultralights
22nd Jul 2016, 08:36
i am wondering when casa wakes up to the fact that empty skies will mean far less staff required to regulate only the airlines that are left?

Sunfish
22nd Jul 2016, 09:49
ultralights, Bureaucratic theory says staff numbers will increase with time no matter how few aircraft and pilots there are.

Lead Balloon
22nd Jul 2016, 10:22
They will definitely need more people. How else will they complete the 70% or so remaining work on the regulatory reform program?

Old Akro
23rd Jul 2016, 01:24
Empty skies don't make money.

Hence the AsA loss

Old Akro
23rd Jul 2016, 01:33
More likely a badly explained change in the way they count (which the note at the bottom suggests).

Nope. The timing is wrong. The change in counting occurred in 2012/13. The major licence number decline occurred in 2010/11.

I would suggest that it is more likely to be:
1. Pilots moving to RAA
2. Inactive student pilots leaving due to ASIC requirements or similar
3. Introduction of car licence type medicals.

The interesting question is with CASA AVMED issuing about half the number of medicals as they did about 5 years ago, why is their response time worse than ever?

LeadSled
23rd Jul 2016, 08:53
----why is their response time worse than ever?

Why, the CASA designed modernization program, of course.
Remember, to err is human, but to really screw up, you need a computer.
Tootle pip!!

Old Akro
23rd Jul 2016, 09:04
Remember, to err is human, but to really screw up, you need a computer.

Thanks for that

thorn bird
24th Jul 2016, 09:18
There is truth in statistics, then again liars produce the statistics.