PDA

View Full Version : European Truck Makers Fined Billions

Peter-RB
21st Jul 2016, 06:51
It appears the following truck manufacturers have been doing a VW Type of thing....

Daimler (Merc) 1Bn Euro,.. Daf 753M Euro,..Volvo/,..Renault 670M Euro,
...Iveco(Ford),..495M Euro.

These eye watering amounts have been levied as a Fine to the companies for Price fixing of Premium trucks , this seems to be a sort of Cartel agreement that was unofficially agreed whilst the involved companies were at various trade shows to show off their new models it seems to have been going on since the mid 90s, it has only come to light simply because someone high up in one of the companies lost their bottle and owned up to the EU authorities..

So far this has only made the news in truck trade magazines ...seems no one else is interested in this..but, if anything you purchased is delivered by a Truck of those makes ,... it will have cost you more than it should have had they been "Honest" in their trade ..:eek:

Today the 22nd of Jly the British Road Haulage Association upon hearing about these fines has decided to take on the Truck makers in order to regain some funding that seems to have been overpaid by purchasers of any HGV models made by these companies, they are going to (it seems) sue in the EU courts for compensation and possible penalties as well for missed profit opportunities..

Cazalet33
21st Jul 2016, 07:19
doing a VW Type of thing

Scania is also involved. They're not mentioned in the article, but that's only because they haven't settled yet.

Scania is mostly owned by Volkswagen.

As Rolf Harris liked to say, "Can you see what is yet?".

onetrack
21st Jul 2016, 09:32
I always wondered how Volvo became so dominant in the truck market, when they always had a pretty average product.
I think there's a lot more to this story to be played out yet, and I'll wager industrial espionage and numerous other nasty types of work would be uncovered with more searching.
If they engaged in a price-fixing cartel, it means that the companies are run by CEO's who are totally without morals or ethics, and corruption and bribery and various other competition-defeating behaviours, would almost certainly be part of their operations.

Fareastdriver
21st Jul 2016, 10:03
I am surprised that they still make trucks in Northern Europe. There is so much labour involved compared to car manufacture that I thought it would have been outsourced to India or the Far East.

simon brown
21st Jul 2016, 14:31
.and the was me thinking remaining in the EU meant we were working together to help the environment. Obviously leaving the failed club who cant even manufacture vehicles to their own specifications emissions wise wasn't such a bad idea after all.

So not only will Brexit be bad for the EU car industry it will also be bad for their commercial vehicles as well ....puts the EU reprisals of our non inclusion to zero trade tariffs in the Euro area on the back foot a bit, when negotiations take place

"it means that the companies are run by CEO's who are totally without morals or ethics, and corruption and bribery and various other competition-defeating behaviours, " Par for the course in the EU i'm afraid

Peter-RB
21st Jul 2016, 14:54
Addendum to main post,

During the early Nineties when I was buying Renault Tractors to do my EU work a premium 38/44 tonne cap tractor( artic ) cost approx £39k each Merc/Scania/Volvo for a similar spec were around £50-£60 k each, jump to the end on the century Renault had largely caught up on price with average cost to purchase then around £68-£78 K each.

But large transport companies cant put names here but everyone sees at least 3 every mile of Motorway, plus also a well know Frenchie with a fleet of crimson trucks could and did purchase fleet of Renault/Scania and Volvo tractors at almost half that price by having sweetheart deals to run such fleets from dedicated production lines... the smaller operators were at a disadvantage as soon as they wanted to buy similar truck to try and quote for similar business....! do you think they will get any recompense for such practice by the ONLY suppliers of said Tractors..?

Hussar 54
21st Jul 2016, 14:57
German companies yet again....

Makes me wonder how the Fatherland manages to maintain this squeeky clean image with the majority of the public, yet they're usually up to their elbows in the effluent and have been for decades....

In fact, it's only four or five years ago that the Tax Legislation changed to disallow German companies from legally claiming bribe money and ' facilitation commissions ' as a legitimate tax deductable....

Sometimes, I'm ashamed to be German....And other times I just shrug my shoulders and remember that Big Business always does have a dark side, wherever it's based....

By the way - anyone know where the EU are at regarding VW's famous emissions scandal ? Pleanty of updates from the US, but can't remember reading / hearing where we're up to in Europe other than that since the scandal broke, radio here a couple of months ago reported that VW now have 47 Brussels-based employees - technical, PR, legal, etc....Not a small number for a German based company, but to have 47 high powered, highly paid managers just 'dealing with' Brussels suggests they're either much needed or just very, very busy....

sitigeltfel
21st Jul 2016, 15:02
Yorkie bars used to weigh 70g and are now down to 46g. I bet the cheating 'stards had something to do with that also!

;)

Um... lifting...
21st Jul 2016, 15:17
Makes me wonder how the Fatherland manages to maintain this squeeky clean image with the majority of the public, yet they're usually up to their elbows in the effluent and have been for decades....

Chapter IV of Michael Lewis' Boomerang may lend some insight.

DroneDog
21st Jul 2016, 16:50
German companies yet again....

I get the "I don't like Germany vibe" from this and your other postings....

Krautwald
21st Jul 2016, 17:48
Pretty sure that this is not a matter of "who´s cheatin´" but "who gets caught cheatin´". There are no clean players in markets like this.

There is an economic warfare going on, and atm, Europe is openly declared a theatre of that war. Remember VW? Plus, EU needs money. Why are they enforcing so tough just now? And why not in the tax refuges of Mr. Juncker and the likes, but in sectors with those REAL jobs that Europe so desperately needs?

If in the Euro zone or closely affiliated with that market, I would rather be worried that European heavy industry is taking such a beating from both overseas and European authorities. You might get a cheap laugh at Germanys expense, but it won´t stop there.

DroneDog
22nd Jul 2016, 06:53
Krautwald post above its 100% correct, manufacturing is an easy target to feed the EU and to pay for immigration.

Peter-RB
22nd Jul 2016, 07:31
It certainly looks that way, especially as to how the German Chancellor is trying to ignore the Immigrant problem now growing on its own Oxygen in Germany, and the way the Italian Banks and Government are looking for ways round the EU rules to bail out their (Italian) Banking system due to the Frau not wishing to let go of iron clad and wrong EU rules...

Even though the UK voted out, I do believe we are starting to see a slow but steady self made implosion..!

oldchina
22nd Jul 2016, 07:42
Maybe the best way to stop Germany being too dominant in the EU is for them to leave. Like a Brexit, or a Krautout.

B Fraser
22nd Jul 2016, 08:22
or even a "Fritzquitz"

Impress to inflate
22nd Jul 2016, 10:05
My question, who gets the money ? The buys of the trucks, the EU commission, the tooth fairy ?

ITI

Tankertrashnav
22nd Jul 2016, 10:15
I get the "I don't like Germany vibe" from this and your other postings..

As he has told us he is German I think he's entitled to hold those views.

It's pretty obvious he's not English, he knows how to use apostrophes!

Peter-RB
22nd Jul 2016, 10:48
Tank.... I thought "Jesus" had a gang of those..!;)

DroneDog
22nd Jul 2016, 14:59
As he has told us he is German I think he's entitled to hold those views.

It's pretty obvious he's not English, he knows how to use apostrophes!
Tankertrashnav is offline Report Post

Is he... wow I stand corrected... I find them to be a lovely hard working people.

WeeJeem
22nd Jul 2016, 15:48
My question, who gets the money ? The buys of the trucks, the EU commission, the tooth fairy ?

Straight into the European Commission's own budget bucket (http://ec.europa.eu/budget/explained/budg_system/financing/fin_en.cfm#other). :ok:

BlankBox
22nd Jul 2016, 16:55
Yorkie bars used to weigh 70g and are now down to 46g. I bet the cheating 'stards had something to do with that also!

:yuk: ...frikken coffee up the nose and onto the floor...next time warn me...jeez!

Hussar 54
23rd Jul 2016, 13:39
Hah...Answered my own question -

VW Rejects Cash Offer for European Car Owners - WSJ (http://www.wsj.com/articles/volkswagen-ceo-stands-fast-on-european-compensation-after-scandal-1467570500)

Now trying to decide whether -

A. VW have a really special status which makes them exempt from EU legislation regarding false and misleading advertising, etc. Whatever next ? Falsified safety / crash tests ? No - we've already had that one....

Audi 'lied' about safety testing of vehicles - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27392157)

B. VW have agreed not to contest this latest ( price fixing ) scandal as long as the EU back off from and forget about the emissions and testing scandals....

C. Yet another EU Commissioner who is on the payroll of Big Business or wants to be in a couple of years time....

D. VW couldn't really give a f*ck - they already lied to you enough sell you a car and already have your money, so why should they....

Whichever, the article seems to indicate that VW are or consider themselves to be a tad more important than the EU or those VW managers in Brussels are doing a great job and the EU are already in VW's pocket.

Answers please....