PDA

View Full Version : How long did Self-Study ATPL Theory take you?

ManUtd1999
20th Jul 2016, 21:21
I'm considering "going modular" and one of my biggest reservations is the ATPL theory. The plan would be to train over a period of ~3 years whilst working full-time to graduate with no debt.

I've got good A-Levels and a degree so don't have any real concerns about the difficulty of the exams as such. I do however question whether I'll have the time (and motivation) to sit and study for hours after a full day at work.

So, how long did the self-study take you. How many hours a week did you put in on average?

Advice is much appreciated (PS, please don't turn this into a "I'd studied more/less than you therefore I'm better" thread!)

RichardH
21st Jul 2016, 07:20
As an ATPL theory instructor I can give you the other side of the coin. With your qualifications the standard of material won't be a problem. It's volume in time that's the killer & distance learning (D/L) can be a lonely place.

I have had students complete the ATPL theory in 6-8 months without prior experience but this is unusual. Others are still trying and are on their second sittings after a couple of years. On average if you are putting in around 15 hours per week you are looking at doing the theory in about a year. Please remember that once you have taken your first exam you have 18 months to complete all the theory, maximum 6 sittings in total and maximum 4 for a subject.

Though ability does play a part it is usually lack of motivation or distractions (eg. running a business) that causes students the biggest problems with D/L. I have conversations every month with students who are about to expire in terms of time & or sittings for whatever reasons (you don't want to be here). On a positive note most students do get through first time within the time limits but don't underestimate the work required - it is not an easy option.

Best of luck.

parkfell
21st Jul 2016, 14:32
I was fortunate in that I was working shifts [M:A:N], so I had time either before or after the day time shifts to study, and before the night shift. Probably 2 - 3 hours daily six days a week. The performance was the hardest. Go on a course for this subject first.

Started in the July and completed the last exams in the following April.

Martin_123
21st Jul 2016, 15:31
I asked a very similar question here some months ago. I started mid January and it took me til June to complete the first module. That is with a full time employment, trying to hour-build whenever the weather is decent, spending time with loved ones etc.

I'm in the middle of the second module already. I feel that I now have learned to organize my time a bit better, I've developed a good rhythm and discipline. I hope to have them all completed spring next year.

I dedicate about 10 to 15 hours a week. It depends from the subjects.. last night I just wanted to get one of the flight planning chapters out of my way and I sat till 1am till I got the progress test done and dusted.. a very busy subject, nearly as busy as gen nav. Others are piece of pie - 1h on the book, click through the test and job done

Bloated Stomach
22nd Jul 2016, 00:27
1.5 years alongside a full time job. I still remember working upto 2am in the night and then getting up at 7am for work.

It's a tough slog but very satisfying when you've passed all the exams.

rudestuff
22nd Jul 2016, 19:31
I signed up for distance learning - and quickly found that it was too much to try and work full time and study part time. So I took time off work (fortunately I'm the boss) and smashed out one subject per week, four sets of exams 4/4/3/3

ManUtd1999
23rd Jul 2016, 14:34
Thanks for the replies so far, informative as always :ok:

About 10 hrs/week over 18 months is the figure I'm hoping would be achievable, combined with taking a couple of weeks leave for solid revision close to exams