PDA

View Full Version : free.fr TV in France - advice wanted

NRU74
20th Jul 2016, 19:39
I've an apartment in France and have finally signed up with free.fr ( after having used sfr/Orange/ piggy backing the neighbour's Wifi with Fon etc) and have landline/internet c12 to 16 Mb/sim card with 120 mins all for €30/month
Included are c200 tv channels, mainly French, but it needs an ethernet cable, and foolishly, when the apartment was rewired 3 years ago I didn't specify this. The apartment was completely redecorated at the same time. There are two free.fr boxes, one where the phone comes into the apartment and a second one behind the tv set The tv channels work OK (with a 25 m ethernet cable) but I cannot get the powerline adaptors (which work absolutely OK in the UK to work). I don't think they do 'ring main' wiring.What I don't want to do is start chasing walls and drilling holes etc - or hiring someone to do it...if there's a non powerline way of solving the problem.
My wife is pretty fluent and would like to watch French TV - me, I usually watch UK TV using an Android tablet/Filmon/ Chromecast
Any advice appreciated !

gemma10
21st Jul 2016, 05:48
Powerline adaptors normally only work when they are used on the mains that are connected on the SAME phase. I suspect your sockets are on different phases.

BEagle
21st Jul 2016, 06:31
Does your free.fr Internet router have a Wireless option?

If so, try connecting the free.fr TV box to an Ethernet bridge (e.g. Netgear WNCE3001 https://www.amazon.fr/Netgear-WNCE3001-100PES-Wi-Fi-N600-Universelle/dp/B005PMJBPS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1469082611&sr=1-1&keywords=netgear+WNCE3001) with an Ethernet cable and the bridge to your router wirelessly.

NRU74
24th Jul 2016, 12:08
Thanks Gemma, I hadn't considered 'phases' - I'll try a few other (or even the same) socket.
Thanks Beagle- I can't remember if there's a wireless switch and thanks for the steer. I've actually got a Netgear Trek device I use in the UK as an additional router which looks similar to the device you mention- I'll take it with me next time I go at the end of Aug
Thanks again