PDA

View Full Version : Sisteron

Effluent Man
19th Jul 2016, 16:46
Reports that a Morroccan man has stabbed a woman and her three young daughters for wearing "too light" clothing on a camp site. Being played down here as a non religious incident...I See...

These reports seem to appear on the BBC only to be quickly "moderated". It's still on the online site but disappeared from news broadcasts. Just spoke to a friend in France and no mention of it there on the news. I think a degree of censorship is going on.

Martin the Martian
19th Jul 2016, 17:19
Why's that then?

Effluent Man
19th Jul 2016, 17:26
Why do I think it, or why do I think they are doing it?

westernhero
19th Jul 2016, 17:54
Second story on the Mail's website
Mother and 3 daughters STABBED in near Montpellier because they were 'scantily dressed' | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3697451/Mother-three-daughters-aged-8-14-STABBED-French-holiday-resort-scantily-dressed.html)
Make of it what you will.

G0ULI
19th Jul 2016, 17:59
I suspect the whole of Europe is on the verge of Islamophobia and the associated social unrest. News reports are being heavily censored in the UK and elsewhere. Racial and religiously motivated crime reports have jumped hugely in the UK over the last few months. Overall totals are fairly low, but jumps from hundreds to thousands of reports show an unsettling pattern of behaviour across the country.

Effluent Man
19th Jul 2016, 18:06
To answer M the M's question I think that is why it's being censored. An attempt to keep the lid on and prevent violent reprisals against Muslims. I suspect that when the lid blows it will be big.

Krystal n chips
19th Jul 2016, 18:11
" News reports are being heavily censored in the UK and elsewhere.

And your basis for this statement, with supportive evidence, is duly awaited.

Racial and religiously motivated crime reports have jumped hugely in the UK over the last few months. Overall totals are fairly low, but jumps from hundreds to thousands of reports show an unsettling pattern of behaviour across the country.

Yes they have increased and to a lesser extent, that unsettling pattern is reflected here on JB with many of our right wing contributors indulging in the equivalent of nursery school gluttony in this respect.

Although the saving grace, if such it can be called, is that at least this thread didn't commence with the puerile "WTF", a term so beloved by those with a dysfunctional comprehension of reality and basic literacy skills.

wings folded
19th Jul 2016, 18:16
It's a fine bit of Daily Mail reporting. It happened apparently at Laragne Monteglin in the Hautes Alpes, near Sisteron.

The Mail reports the location as being "near Montpellier".

It is about 250km from Montpellier, which is on the coast. It's like saying that it happened in Harrogate, near Eastbourne.

Why do you read such trash?

sitigeltfel
19th Jul 2016, 18:23
Second story on the Mail's website
Mother and 3 daughters STABBED in near Montpellier because they were 'scantily dressed' | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3697451/Mother-three-daughters-aged-8-14-STABBED-French-holiday-resort-scantily-dressed.html)
Make of it what you will.

That is total bullshit. The incident happened nowhere near Montpellier. They have misidentified the village which is a different one 200km away.

wings folded
19th Jul 2016, 18:30
It gets worse. Their map shows the location as being between Nimes and Arles. Crap equally, but why do they help us by saying near Montpellier?

Do not believe a word the Mail reports.

Lonewolf_50
19th Jul 2016, 18:34
wings, nice to see you active again, have missed your input. (Or I don't visit your favorite forums).

Is there a local news report nearer to where this event occurred (allegedly occurred?) that might be a useful reference? When I went to the Mail link it gave the local thusly, so it may have been edited/corrected.
in the village of Garda-Colombe near Laragne-Monteglin,

EDIT. Removed map.

G0ULI
19th Jul 2016, 18:37
Knc
I am not at liberty to comment specifically on sources. I have in the past had access to raw data and official figures relating to crime reporting. There is a considerable degree of latitude in crime classification. As with all statistical returns, you can alter the figures to suit whatever you want to prove.

Censorship takes many forms, from the imposition of super injunctions to words of advice regarding editorial policy. Not all censorship comes from the government, newspaper and other media proprietors frequently publish whatever they believe will best further their interests.

Crime figures for each Service and Constabulary are published on the Internet. The Home Office have collated figures going back for years. A Freedom of Information request will get you access to raw crime data with certain categories of crime omitted. Low volume crimes such as rape and murder are edited from raw crime figures because that can result in individuals being identified. Be prepared to spend a comsiderable sum of money to get the information, there is a fee to be paid for each computer system (there were 14 in the Met the last time I checked), and each police area.

Or, I suppose you could always get a job with a national press organisation.

wings folded
19th Jul 2016, 21:26
Sorry lone, still about 200 + km far from the truth. Standard Daily Mail stuff. Crap.

There are abundant local and national reports which locate the place correctly. Where it is. Nowhere near Montpellier. A seven year old could locate a village in France on the internet and not displace it by 200+ kilometers. And you lot want to believe the trough spout the Mail turns out?

If it comforts you....

Lonewolf_50
19th Jul 2016, 21:38
Sorry lone, still about 200 + km far from the truth. Standard Daily Mail stuff. Crap. OK, your complaint was "near Montpellier" whereas the map I had linked showed roughly the correct area, while Montpellier is to the West of Marseilles. I got rid of the map as it was too big.
Correct village named.
Reference to Montpellier the major mistake.
Are we on the same wavelength? (I don't care for the Mail one way or the other, I am just trying to better understand the story, and your objections to it).

westernhero
19th Jul 2016, 22:37
I seem to have stirred a hornets nest by linking to a Mail story about a woman and her three daughters being attacked near Montpellier. Sorry I used the wrong news source, try this Family of four seriously injured in French Alps knife attack | euronews, world news (http://www.euronews.com/2016/07/19/family-of-four-seriously-injured-in-french-alps-knife-attack/)
There, I hope that makes it all better. Oh by the way a woman and her three daughters were still attacked in France today, just for the record.

Nervous SLF
19th Jul 2016, 22:51
I wonder how much longer it will be before some nutter starts attacking burka wearing
people because they are wearing too much clothing?

wings folded
20th Jul 2016, 14:30
Another pearl of wisdom from the Mail. Their "journalist" relocated a village in the French alps to be at the seaside in their story about the stabbings of a family.

Now they have renamed the President of Provence Cote d'Azur, formerly Mayor of Nice.

In a piece about Hollande's visit to Nice they call him "Christian Esoril", quoting him as saying he was ignored by the President notwithstanding his status.

I have no idea what status enjoys Christian Esoril, assuming he exists, but the President of Provence Cote d'Azur, Christian Estrosi may have been offended.

Why anybody reads the Daily Mail escapes me.

Geordie_Expat
20th Jul 2016, 14:41
Wings,

You have made your point (over and over again). You don't like the Mail. Get over it !! The thread concerns an attack on four innocent females. If you want an anti-Daily Mail rant, start a new thread :ugh:

oldchina
20th Jul 2016, 14:56
The French get some things right ...

Old Mrs Camelface isn't allowed to wear her burka in public over there

sitigeltfel
20th Jul 2016, 15:03
Why anybody reads the Daily Mail escapes me.

How do you manage to quote from it without reading it?

wings folded
20th Jul 2016, 15:10
I dare say a bit like most people, I read a link in a thread.

Any more smart questions?

Effluent Man
20th Jul 2016, 16:44
I have to say that it shows quite poor journalistic standards to get two crucial things wrong in the same story. It's the thirteenth chime of the clock that destroys one's faith in the other twelve.