PDA

View Full Version : Are we governed or administered?

yellowtriumph
18th Jul 2016, 12:25
In recent times i've notice an increasing tendency of British politicians to refer to the act of forming an administration?

In my simple world I thought we elected MP's to office and that the group with the largest number of MP's were asked to form a government by Her Madge.

So what is all this talk of administrations I hear on the TV news? Is it a nomenclature fad imported from the USA? Down wiv the kids and all that?

(edit, in much the way way that on telly nothing is forthcoming or even 'coming up' but rather 'up coming'.

sitigeltfel
18th Jul 2016, 12:34
Governed or administered?

Neither.......... shafted!

G0ULI
18th Jul 2016, 12:57
In the USA new administrations are formed with each new government that is elected. A large number of posts are political appointments or locally elected officials. In the UK administration is the job of the Civil Service. A Cabinet Minister is appointed to oversee and give direction to each Civil Service department, but the everyday business of running the country carries on without the need for government intervention. The nearest thing we have to the US system is the election of Police and Crime Commissioners and Mayors.

As a Monarchy, the citizens of the UK are governed by Parliament and HM the Queen. US Citizens are technically administered since they are, in theory, free at any time to elect new representatives.

rifruffian
18th Jul 2016, 13:29
Yes, we are.
The way I understand this is that government decides how society is to function. Many individuals can function as self governing; lots really do want to be governed by others.....(need to be told what to do).

Administration is stuff like birth certificates, driving licences, property documents et al.

Lonewolf_50
18th Jul 2016, 14:07
Try a different verb: owned.

er340790
18th Jul 2016, 18:37
Duped ? ;)

KenV
18th Jul 2016, 19:05
As a Monarchy, the citizens of the UK are governed by Parliament and HM the Queen. US Citizens are technically administered since they are, in theory, free at any time to elect new representatives. It goes a bit deeper. In the UK the throne is the sovereign and all authority/power to govern derives from the throne. In the US the people hold the power to govern and they elect representatives to administer that government. In the UK an entirely new "government" is created with each national election. In the US a new group of people are elected to administer the same government. Because of that difference, the US has literally had the "same government" since it was created upon ratification of the Constitution back in 1788.

G-CPTN
18th Jul 2016, 19:31
So, it doesn't matter who you vote for, the government always wins?

ExXB
18th Jul 2016, 19:35
I think there can be only one answer to that question.

Yes.

Helol
18th Jul 2016, 19:37
Anyone notice how, in the past, people used to talk about being 'in office', nowadays, it's 'in power' (in the UK)

DirtyProp
18th Jul 2016, 20:46
I would go for conned, deceived and lied to.

Cazalet33
18th Jul 2016, 20:50
The conjunctive confuses the question.

The government governs. The administration administers government to the governed.

Lonewolf_50
18th Jul 2016, 22:51
Are we governed or administered? Buggered, more like. I just found out that since the resignation of the local city manager, his financially illiterate assistant** has been proposed and confirmed as his replacement.

(**=Inside information from the last two years' city budget hearing).

vapilot2004
18th Jul 2016, 23:31
In the UK administration is the job of the Civil Service. A Cabinet Minister is appointed to oversee and give direction to each Civil Service department, but the everyday business of running the country carries on without the need for government intervention.

This arrangement fosters transparency in government.
Well done, UK.
Shame on you (us), USofA.

Lonewolf_50
18th Jul 2016, 23:54
vapilot, your post makes no sense. Where does this "shame on" come from? :confused:

vapilot2004
19th Jul 2016, 00:04
Their system supports honesty in government, Lone. Ours is more 'corporate' (private) and as such, fosters secrecy and corruption by comparison.

Wouldn't be as big a problem if there weren't so many 'crooks' in US politics (and corporate America)

Orange future
19th Jul 2016, 00:58
We are managed. Our "leaders" are there for show to imply democracy. Our elections make us feel like we are participants when we are simply subject to the wishes of big oil, big pharma, big food and the western banking elite. Most of us are oblivious to what our governments do in our name and assume our government is morally sound and our enemies morally corrupt when in fact the reverse equelly applies.

Metro man
19th Jul 2016, 06:25
Similarly then, are people British subjects or citizens ?

John Hill
19th Jul 2016, 08:19
British subjects are citizens.

SASless
19th Jul 2016, 08:34
The question is are you Free?

John Hill
19th Jul 2016, 08:52
I can go and buy a gun tomorrow if I choose so I guess that means I really am free.

Krautwald
19th Jul 2016, 11:09
We are ruled.

19th Jul 2016, 11:37
When I was in a boarding school many years ago, there were some people best avoided.
Prime example ended up running the country. Was as useless then as he was in school.

Curious Pax
19th Jul 2016, 11:52
Our elections make us feel like we are participants when we are simply subject to the wishes of big oil, big pharma, big food and the western banking elite.

You can add the defence industry to that list! You can imagine how p!ssed off they'd be if we all lived in peace and harmony! (yeah, yeah, I know.....)

Lonewolf_50
19th Jul 2016, 14:36
You can add the defence industry to that list! You can imagine how p!ssed off they'd be if we all lived in peace and harmony! (yeah, yeah, I know.....) Since you live in the UK, what defence industry? :E

(I keed ...)

Curious Pax
19th Jul 2016, 15:17
Since you live in the UK, what defence industry? :E

(I keed ...)

As a starter BAE Systems are pretty big, and in fact sell more to the US DoD than the UK MoD!

Sorry to hear you keed - perhaps you could get some ointment for it? ;)

Cazalet33
19th Jul 2016, 15:32
in the UK, what defence industry?

The one that Parliament has just voted 31Bn to build three boats domestically.

10Bn for a boat is good business. A shitty way to live, but very lucrative for the merchants of death.

Cazalet33
20th Jul 2016, 00:33
A police officer was stabbed when a "spontaneous water fight" on the hottest day of the year so far turned violent, the Met has said.
Bottles and other items were thrown at officers in London's Hyde Park after the "increasingly large crowd became hostile to police" at about 20:40 BST.
Another officer was hit with a bottle, Scotland Yard said, while two members of the public suffered stab wounds.
All four injured people are being treated in hospital, police said.
The gathering had been attended by police since 15:00. No arrests have been made.
Anyone with information has been urged to contact police or Crimestoppers.

Oh ferk.

Now we are going to have to licence water bottles.

Or else: amend the thousand year old British constitution to bring it into line with the desires of a well regulated militia which cannot help themselves but to squirt when they get excited.

galaxy flyer
20th Jul 2016, 03:08
In a truly free societ, we are neither governed, nor administered, we self-govern voluntarily following rules laid out by the "consent of the governed". We've lost any pretense of a free society--most of our economy is designed by anonymous bureaucrats who have no idea of what they're doing--quaintly called "regulators".

GF

Cazalet33
20th Jul 2016, 13:47
self-govern voluntarily following rules laid out by the "consent of the governed"

I've never visited a hippy commune or a kibbutz, but I believe they live that way.

I rather liked Joyce Grenfell's exclamation: "Anarchy is all very well, but who is going to mend the drains?"