PDA

View Full Version : UK Armed Forces Pension Review--?

mid life update
30th Jun 2002, 15:05
Gentlemen

Can anybody update me as to where we are with the Armed Forces Pension review/ rehash. I am currently stateside and I dont get the "grapevine / crewroom" info.

When is it be expected to be in place?

Is it expected that the final pension will be in the region of 50% of the best year in the last three?

How will gratuities be affected?

Would appreciate any grapevine info.

MLU

canberra
30th Jun 2002, 21:07
i left in october. last i heard was that the treasury and mod were looking to make qualifying time for pension the same for all ranks. plan was to make it 20 years instad of 18 for officers and 22 for the troops. i was gobsmacked when i heard, i thought treasury would change it to 22 for everyone.

RotaDish
30th Jun 2002, 21:44
I that was to happen, would it affect presently serving officers, or just the numerous "Wanna-Bes" who are presently arranging a camp fire sing-a-long at OASC for next week?

Rota

Sloppy Link
1st Jul 2002, 03:36
There was a thread on here that quoted the Torygraph. The gist of the tale was that the MoD had submitted plans to change our pensions but El Presidente said NO! Go away and rethink your stratagem he said. Hurrah I said.

Whilst we are on the subject of dosh, anyone heard anything about the Professional Aviators Pay Spine yet? An announcement would be made "in the summer". Wimbledon is on so it must be the summer now.

Stan Bydike
1st Jul 2002, 05:25
Last I heard about the Prof Aircrew Spine was that details on the pay structure would not be forthcoming until Jan / Feb 2003!!!

teeteringhead
1st Jul 2002, 05:45
Canberra (note initial capital letter)

I'd be surprised if we got immediate pensions at 20 years. My information is that the Treasury are VERY anti any permanent immediate (rather that preserved) pensions before a "normal" retirement age. They wanted 40 years (!!!!) and the services were indeed pressing for 20 as a compromise between the 38/16 and the 22.
There seem to be a number of new things coming out around the 30 years service mark, so may be that'll be the compromise.
And perhaps we'll also get around the "officers' pensionsable service doesn't start until age 21" nonsense. And then there's the pensionability of flying pay ...............................