PDA

View Full Version : Cockpit visits after landing

TShan1
16th Jul 2016, 13:14
Not quite a technical question, but I feel this is the best place to ask actual pilots. What is the etiquette on cockpit vists post landing? I'm thinking mainly on longer turn around flights, as there may not be time on short haul flights, but are visitors welcome? What's the best way of going about this?

Many thanks,

PENKO
16th Jul 2016, 13:25
There is plenty of time, even on the shortest of turnarounds.

172_driver
16th Jul 2016, 13:26
Where I work it's down to the Commander who is admitted to the flight deck, as long as it's justifiable. That is both during and after flight. Other airlines and authorities will have different (and stricter) rules, especially if you're in England.

That said, I have never ever had a Captain refuse a visit to the Flight Deck post flight.

TShan1
16th Jul 2016, 13:34
Thanks for the replies both. So is the general consensus that the commander would be receptive? And should I ask a steward/stewardess? I know a lot of pilots 'caught the bug' from their own early cockpit visits.

172_driver
16th Jul 2016, 13:43
Yes ask the cabin crew as you exit. They will pass the message on a few feet forward.

TShan1
16th Jul 2016, 14:26
Cheers 172_driver

NorthernChappie
16th Jul 2016, 14:56
Courtesy of a BA crew on the stopover on way to Grenada last year (and courtesy of Mrs NC asking as it was my first long haul since gaining PPL), I spent 10 minutes up front during the crew changeover. Came up away with the printed chart for the first leg as a souvenir too and had a really good chat with them. Nice timing as it was the FO's final check out before gaining Captaincy so he was pretty chuffed with himself!

So yes - ask.

Edit - the funniest thing was that pax were still disembarking when I left the cockpit and I couldn't get back to my seat (3A - didn't have far to go). So I got stuck at the cockpit door with pax thanking me as they passed!

Driver 170
16th Jul 2016, 23:09
I asked on a Ryanair flight after landing at Faro. The captain was more than happy to allow me up, i only had a few minutes as security wanted me out and through the gates.

Its just breath taking up in the flightdeck!

Denti
17th Jul 2016, 04:24
In my experience it might be even better during boarding, especially if you are not the last passenger as flight preparation and briefing is usually finished and there might be some time to chat. After the flight there is usually a rush to get passengers out so we can either get off the plane ourselves or prepare the next flight. But that might differ between operators and crews of course.

The Bullwinkle
17th Jul 2016, 05:16
In my experience it might be even better during boarding, especially if you are not the last passenger as flight preparation and briefing is usually finished and there might be some time to chat.
As a Captain I'm always happy to let people, especially kids, visit the flight deck after landing.
I generally don't like people coming up prior to departure as that is when all the preparation is taking place and attention to detail (calculating take-off speeds, entering FMC data, etc) is required.
At the end of the flight is my preference.

Uplinker
18th Jul 2016, 14:33
Always welcome, but don't leave it to the last minute to ask. If we are too busy owing to problems, we will politely decline, but will say come and see us when you get off.

A Captain I know invites the kiddies up to visit if we have a long slot delay. That is always good fun, especially if they have yummy mummies...........Ahem!

misd-agin
22nd Jul 2016, 16:14
Always let the kids up, because they bring the mom's up with the them. ;-)

IMO before departure is better. After arrival the screens and displays have been turned off so there's less to show.

Skyjob
22nd Jul 2016, 20:53
Post flight for sure better in our outfit.
Just ask before landing though, as after landing pax getting all off may jeapardise your ability to ask, especially if seated in rear part of plane and offloading through front and rear doors.

Piltdown Man
22nd Jul 2016, 21:32
The answer is yes. When depends on what is happening.

PM

RVF750
31st Jul 2016, 20:55
In with Council Van. Defo on arrival just make sure you are first in the queue at the front door as if we're remote parked you won't have long to get on the bus!

Long slot delays are also a good time to ask the senior CC and they'll pass it on to us..

handsome goafer
31st Jul 2016, 20:59
No prob for me I always say yes

Businesstraveller
2nd Aug 2016, 11:41
According to a YouTube clip I saw a few weeks ago, Air France aren't averse to allowing passengers on the flight deck mid-flight.

Air France La Premiere First Class Paris to Tokyo Flight Experience (https://youtu.be/CaS7lax4nBY?t=6m2s)

DaveReidUK
2nd Aug 2016, 11:55
According to a YouTube clip I saw a few weeks ago, Air France aren't averse to allowing passengers on the flight deck mid-flight.

Well provided you're doing a PR assignment for the airline ...

http://samchui.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/20160515_033457-678x509.jpg

Review: Air France La Premiere First Class Paris to Tokyo (http://samchui.com/2016/05/20/air-france-la-premiere-b777-300er-paris-to-tokyo/)

rogerg
2nd Aug 2016, 15:47
Back in the "good old days" pax were welcome at any time, even for the occasional landing.

stalling attitude
2nd Aug 2016, 17:36
Getting the male cabin manager to tell the best looking female pax on board that her seat number was drawn from the hat and she's won the lottery for the jumpseat for landing. Ah I miss those days.:(