PDA

View Full Version : What is "Mourning"

kangaroota
15th Jul 2016, 10:30
Can someone clarify what happens when a country goes into x days of mourning. What are the procedures and protocols? Are citizens required to dress in black and weep copiously for the defined period? Or is it, as I suspect, some kneejerk blah blah?

HeartyMeatballs
15th Jul 2016, 11:08
It depends where you are I suppose. Take this video of North Korea. (http://youtu.be/pSWN6Qj98Iw). However I feel that in France it will be a lot more dignified and stlyish as with all things French. I don't think we've done it in my lifetime here in little England. If we did, I can't say I remember anything being different.

Cazalet33
15th Jul 2016, 11:53
The nearest we've had to that in my lifetime was when Diana Wossername was killed.

I remember there were headlines such as "stop the clock"!

Buster Hyman
15th Jul 2016, 12:00
I think it has broken.

strake
15th Jul 2016, 12:04
What is "Mourning"

Are citizens required to dress in black and weep copiously for the defined period? Or is it, as I suspect, some kneejerk blah blah?

If you were here in France with us now, you would know exactly what it is and how it feels.

oldpax
15th Jul 2016, 12:08
Kangaroota,you will find out soon enough when the monarch dies where you are.

er340790
15th Jul 2016, 16:18
For me, it was those times waking up with some dog I'd picked up at the nightclub on Friday night after 5 pints of snakebite...

"We are quick to forget those 'crimes' that are known only to ourselves." ;)

Tech Guy
15th Jul 2016, 16:22
For me, it was those times waking up with some dog I'd picked up at the nightclub on Friday night after 5 pints of snakebite...

"We are quick to forget those 'crimes' that are known only to ourselves." ;)

I can think of several "things" that are attributable to (and probably best forgotten about) copious amounts of snakebite.:ooh:

Cazalet33
15th Jul 2016, 16:24
Diana Wossername

it was those times waking up with some dog I'd picked up at the nightclub on Friday night after 5 pints

Yup. That's the one.

Wageslave
15th Jul 2016, 16:29
Its the same spurious self-indulgent hogwash that makes PPRuNers append RIP and condolences on any post related to a pilots death, even people they didn't know and had never met. Its notable that this mawkish and utterly inappropriate behaviour seldom extends to anyone but pilots. Why?

As said above, same as made people build huge piles of garbage and rotting flowers on street corners when that silly trollop died in Paris.

Tone
15th Jul 2016, 17:43
Jet Blast living up to its reputation again - my thoughts are with you and your fellows strake.

Kulverstukas
15th Jul 2016, 18:11
Something like this may be?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CnZdG8WW8AAGLT7.jpg

strake
15th Jul 2016, 18:16
Appreciated Tone. There is so much horror and pain here today.
As for the others, they know not what they say.

sitigeltfel
15th Jul 2016, 18:25
Something like this may be?

Or this?

http://i.f1g.fr/media/figaro/805x453/2016/07/15/XVMdee5a3ec-4a73-11e6-b36d-0c8e4ab651c5-805x453.jpg

Toadstool
15th Jul 2016, 19:54
Quote:
What is "Mourning"
Quote:
Are citizens required to dress in black and weep copiously for the defined period? Or is it, as I suspect, some kneejerk blah blah?
If you were here in France with us now, you would know exactly what it is and how it feels.
strake is offline Report Post

Thanks Strake. There are times when its better not to say anything at all. There are others who don't know how to do this, and clearly have a different agenda.

Cazalet33
15th Jul 2016, 21:24
rotting flowers on street corners when that silly trollop died in Paris.

But she did it so well.

It was Islam, y'know.

kangaroota
16th Jul 2016, 03:59
Well for those of you getting a bit sniffy about the subject of the thread, it was in no way meant to diminish the horror of the recent tragedy in Nice.
If you would like to cut back on your intake of umbrage pills I'll explain the question?
Why does an authority need to declare X number of days mourning? When the mourning period is over, then what? Declare 5 days of happiness. After that we will declare 3 days of angst followed by 6 days of indifference.

Of course I expect people to react with the full range of emotions in the aftermath of such a terrible event.
I just don't understand the need to formalise it.

dsc810
16th Jul 2016, 08:26
Look on the bright side, as every cloud has a sliver lining.
What with all the 'events' in Nice and Turkey one particular other 'event' has been removed totally from the front pages by the circumstances.
...and that is the funeral of that MP Joe Cox, you know the one who said how immigrants enrich our lives and culture and about whom no one gives a monkeys anymore. Had we voted remain and had the other distractions not happened I can imagine it would have been turned into a mega martyr's type funeral procession.

All this business of official mourning reminds me of when my employer's M.Director died suddenly many years ago.
We had the company pumping out the official 'we are all devastated' line.
We had the employees almost in party atmosphere mood now that we would not longer have to put up with the moron anymore.
We had the senior management jockying for position as to who was to succeed him.
Devastated my a*ss.

wiggy
16th Jul 2016, 08:35
Well for those of you getting a bit sniffy about the subject of the thread, it was in no way meant to diminish the horror of the recent tragedy in Nice.
Of course I expect people to react with the full range of emotions in the aftermath of such a terrible event.
I just don't understand the need to formalise it.

As an example of " formality " you are asking about amongst other things the declaration determines how long flags are to be flown at half mast on public buildings, not sure the declaration itself has any major effect, if any, on how the general public are required to behave...life goes on.

Pace
16th Jul 2016, 10:31
Can someone clarify what happens when a country goes into x days of mourning. What are the procedures and protocols? Are citizens required to dress in black and weep copiously for the defined period? Or is it, as I suspect, some kneejerk blah blah?

Few of us can imagine a normal day and the shock of a loved one and a child gone by a terrorist attack
The dead are dead the living live the pain the anguish alone with their thoughts
Nothing can change that day nothing can turn back the clock to where those loved one walk through the door with smiling faces
Mourning is for the living it is a gesture of support to these people who are alone in their grief
I was in London when a young man was stabbed to death near my flat! The flowers placed must have covered 100 meters and every tiny bunch was some bodies thought effort to show caring
So what is mourning ? It's a gesture by others to the few in pain to say that they are in our minds and thoughts even though we cannot imagine the pain they are experiencing

Effluent Man
18th Jul 2016, 09:20
I think it's different for everyone. My dad died a few months short of his eightieth birthday. We always got on very well and he was one of the nicest men you could meet. I don't just say that as his son, everyone said it.

I didn't mourn much, he had a good life and due to my good fortune in business I was able to make the last decade of his life the best one. We shared a view of life, that it is just a short period between two infinite pieces of non existence, above us only sky.

So I guess I was sad that I wouldn't see him again but very happy that he dropped dead one summer Friday night when he had walked his dog on the cliffs and bought his fish supper. No long confinement in a hospital or hospice. Those in Nice didn't have that privilege but it's not really possible to grieve for every victim in the world, just look after those closest to you.

Rasthem
18th Jul 2016, 14:05
Well said ... or written, Eff

er340790
18th Jul 2016, 17:05
Seconded.

Give us the courage to change what we can, the humility to accept what we cannot..... and the wisdom to know the difference.