PDA

View Full Version : The New Prime Minister

Peter-RB
14th Jul 2016, 07:07
Well what a way she has started, she has picked some exciting names,
But what a move picking Boris as Foreign Secretary, this Lady now seems like she will go far with many people agreeing at what and how she is doing things, that is in my opinion.:D:D

The EU Ministers, plus the talks thus coming on the Brexit exit agreement will not be easy, but I feel she will not allow them to bully her/the UK at all..! :ok::ok:

Peter R-B

Wingswinger
14th Jul 2016, 07:26
Boris Johnson, David Davis and Liam Fox in the posts which will deal directly with the EU bureaucrats . :ok:

That speech she made outside number 10 has pulled the rug from under the Labour Party. Well and truly.

I agree: A good start and, with other countries queuing up to sign bilateral trade deals I feel good about the UK's prospects once Brexit is properly under way. She will have to take the SNP seriously, very seriously, and take them on in order to defeat the threat to the integrity of the UK once and for all.

Yarpy
14th Jul 2016, 07:54
She will have to take the SNP seriously, very seriously, and take them on in order to defeat the threat to the integrity of the UK once and for all.

The point of order being that only Westminster, NOT Holyrood, can call legally call an independence referendum.

ImageGear
14th Jul 2016, 08:29
Having met the Lady several times, on a personal and political level I can assure you that She "is definitely not for turning".

A strong, decisive character with a clear vision of how the UK should conduct it's affairs internally and on the world stage.

She also "arrived" courtesy of the Grammar School system and solid, hard graft over many years to get where she is. She understands what it means to govern. A Maggie clone she is definitely not but I suspect the wee Scot will be doing some serious reassessment this morning.

Although I voted in, she has my full support. :ok:

Imagegear

VP959
14th Jul 2016, 09:26
I'll admit to being very surprised by her first speech, and even more surprised that she had the courage to pick Boris as FS.

I can't help but wonder if this role may turn Boris into a serious politician, I think he's shown that he has the capability, the questions always revolve around his personality.

Despite not have a particularly high opinion of Theresa May when she was Home Secretary, I rather think she might make a good PM.

I'd like to be a fly on the wall in both the Labour and SNP HQ's. I rather suspect that Labour are wondering what the hell they can now campaign on (and Mrs May has effective killed Corbyn's chances of staying, I'm sure). The SNP must now realise that they have a very strong Unionist Prime Minister, one who is unlikely to budge an inch when it comes to SNP "demands" (which seems to be their only way of doing politics).

ORAC
14th Jul 2016, 09:32
I'd like to be a fly on the wall in both the Labour and SNP HQ's.

5XoCOywuNfw

Sallyann1234
14th Jul 2016, 09:32
Apologies for the aviation content but it will be interesting to see if she gives Goldsmith a job. He has said he will resign as MP if H3 goes ahead, and she won't want to have a cabinet minister resigning so soon.

vapilot2004
14th Jul 2016, 09:40
If I knew nothing about the new Prime Minister, just going by these first few posts alone I would say, "Congratulations!, you've got yourselves a fine PM." ...why over yonder here the cousins cannot seem to get it right?

goudie
14th Jul 2016, 09:49
Merkel, May, Sturgeon, probably Clinton. Seems the old saying, women rule the world, has come true.
I feel quite relaxed about that!

Dan_Brown
14th Jul 2016, 09:57
At least we can be sure she won't have a "funny" handshake. Of that we can be sure.

ORAC
14th Jul 2016, 10:06
Apologies for the aviation content but it will be interesting to see if she gives Goldsmith a job. He has said he will resign as MP if H3 goes ahead, and she won't want to have a cabinet minister resigning so soon. Has Philip Hammond just blurted out Theresa May’s decision on Heathrow? (http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/07/philip-hammond-just-blurted-theresa-mays-decision-heathrow/)

In his interview on the Today programme this morning, Philip Hammond said nothing memorable – which Mr S finds a relief. It’s about time that this job went back to being that of a finance minister, not a poseur itching to move to No10. The Today programme is listened to by six million people; by the end, Hammond had probably sent at least two million back to sleep. Mishal Hussein decided to try some quick-fire questions, to see if that would solicit something more interesting. Her gambit worked. What will he do about runways? ‘Well, on the decision about the location of London’s third, arm, London’s additional runway that will be a decision now for the new government to make and it will have to make a decision collectively. Obviously we haven’t discussed it yet.’ Mr S suspects that Theresa May and Philip Hammond have done plenty discussion in the last few weeks – including the options open to them now that David ‘no ifs, no buts, no third runway’ Cameron has gone.

TURIN
14th Jul 2016, 10:40
If The Donald gets elected that first meeting with Boris should be fun.

ORAC
14th Jul 2016, 10:53
As Foreign Minister he is more likely to meet with the Secretary of State, not the President. Which will be useful when it comes to the EU where the FMs meet regularly, not the PMs or Chancellors. It will also mean he can avoid meeting Erdogan......

Pace
14th Jul 2016, 10:57
The country is split the party is split so to have a hardline Brexit or remain Leader would not work.

Whether it was the right choice to Brexit only time will tell but with more EU disasters looming on the sidelines is a better place to be! Who wants to be on an EU sinking ship intent on steering into an Iceberg ?

She is the right choice

DirtyProp
14th Jul 2016, 11:07
Weirdest hairdo?
Hollande might send them his over-paid barber...

G0ULI
14th Jul 2016, 11:08
The left wingers, nationalists and scroungers are split. They are upset that their benefits and protections under EU law may disappear. The English middle classes have made their voice heard for a change. The pendulum may be about to swing back in favour of common sense, pragmatic government and not the constant pandering to minority, ethnic, or deviant interests. Interesting times.

vapilot2004
14th Jul 2016, 11:13

The Right Honorable Boris meets the Titular Trump!

Ancient Observer
14th Jul 2016, 12:03
What the UK needs now are some great businesses, creating jobs and exporting stuff.

So she puts a Doctor in charge of Trade? he will know even less about it than the Sir Humphreys already there.

What sense does that make?

alwayzinit
14th Jul 2016, 13:29
I hope that one of the first things the new administration acts on is saving the Steel Works, ignoring the EU restrictions.
The steel may be expensive compared to the heavily subsidized Chinese product, however, if the Welsh steel was used to make some new ships, military or merchant, then the cash would circulate within the UK economy for the benefit of all.

Pace
14th Jul 2016, 13:37
This is the problem we are no longer a major manufacturing country if it's manual manufacturing companies go for cheap labour areas of the world
If automation ok but we cannot compete on labour costs
The country had relied on banking and financial services with employment in the service industry
Will we become a major manufacturing country exporting around the world ?
I doubt it but we must do what we are good at and protect that I am afraid that is still banking and finance

Cazalet33
14th Jul 2016, 14:07
Boris has just stepped into a massive elephant trap.

Not for the first time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUDEpqyJ-_w

Sallyann1234
14th Jul 2016, 14:28
Some examples of Boris's diplomacy:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/07/13/boris-johnson-britains-new-top-diplomat-has-said-some-very-undiplomatic-things/

Lonewolf_50
14th Jul 2016, 14:58
Some examples of Boris's diplomacy:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/07/13/boris-johnson-britains-new-top-diplomat-has-said-some-very-undiplomatic-things/ I love it. Prince Philip can rest easy knowing that, when he's having an off day, the Foreign Minister will ensure that bon mots of the not-so-bon variety are available for consumption.

I won't repeat the Limerick from the post's citation (I chortled, guilty pleasure) but why not let the PM of Turkey know that he won't be coddled or free from criticism? It's a bit rougher across the Channel than in Germany.

(A similarly rude, albeit coarser, poem has a comic in Germany being charged with the crime of speaking ill of a foreign head of state. If such a crime were charged in the UK, a goodly percentage of UK pundits and wags would be behind bars on behalf of GW Bush alone, with no few joining them vis a vis President Obama).

OldCessna
14th Jul 2016, 15:01
They will get along I think. Both seem to say what they are thinking. Not your typical lying politician. (Crooked Hillary)

meadowrun
14th Jul 2016, 15:14
That would be interesting. Plain talk in politics and diplomacy.
Unfortunately their plethora of accompanying colleagues and advisors would dilute the fun.

goudie
14th Jul 2016, 15:21
I love it when politicians make a very public gaffe. After all they are just ordinary people doing a job, so it's good that they are reminded of the fact now and then. Anyway politics is so boring most of the time.

er340790
14th Jul 2016, 15:40
Bozzer's first comment as new Foreign Secretary - re. Hillary Clinton:

“She’s got dyed blonde hair and pouty lips, and a steely blue stare, like a sadistic nurse in a mental hospital.”

(Sadly not his first comment. It's from 2008. But he's as spot-on as ever! :D :} :E )

lomapaseo
14th Jul 2016, 15:51
I love it when politicians make a very public gaffe. After all they are just ordinary people doing a job, so it's good that they are reminded of the fact now and then. Anyway politics is so boring most of the time.

You should then love our "trumpet"

Gaffes in public of the kind you speak do wonders at defining the lines between races, customs and beliefs so that we better know our space.

The only thing worse than this is serious defining statements from leaders that separate parts of our own societies.

Pace
14th Jul 2016, 15:58
Boris has his talents one is that his style lets him
Get away with murder
Ken Clark a different animal could call a spade a spade and too could get away with murder in a different way in public speaking
There was another politician who had a load of affairs and didn't give a toss approached by the pointing media which sent other like orientated politicians running to resign he just laughed it off with a so what attitude
I am not saying that either of the above two are anything like Boris other than the get away with murder personality and thick skinned facade
Trump is the same hence he should get on with Boris

The fact is the New PM had to incorporate Brexit MPs
The firmer we stand on Brexit the more the EU will give way
DCs big mistake was demanding major change in the EU and then stating everything was negotiable! Not a clever stance to take

Cazalet33
14th Jul 2016, 16:02
“She’s got dyed blonde hair and pouty lips, and a steely blue stare, like a sadistic nurse in a mental hospital.”

The bugger's got her nailed.

Who's gonna be his counterpart in Rodham's cabinet?

Not a Classicist, surely.

bnt
14th Jul 2016, 16:03
No hard feelings for Andrea Leadsom, too - she's the new Environment Secretary.

Eccentric as Boris is, I don't see anyone on any side claiming that he's stupid. IMHO, at a minimum his appointment serves a dual purpose: giving countries such as Germany and the USA a familiar face, while at the same time putting them on the back foot a little, making them think before they speak ...

Cazalet33
14th Jul 2016, 16:23
Eccentric as Boris is, I don't see anyone on any side claiming that he's stupid. IMHO, at a minimum his appointment serves a dual purpose: giving countries such as Germany and the USA a familiar face, while at the same time putting them on the back foot a little, making them think before they speak ...

Boris is Boris.

Always good for a laugh. Never to be taken seriously.

Not the first qualification that comes to mind for the Foreign Minister of the sixth richest country in the world, but it's a start, I suppose.

er340790
14th Jul 2016, 16:36
Hopefully Boris will offer John Oliver the role of Foreign Office Spokesman.

His comment on the NSA tapping Angela Merkel's cell-phone is an all-time classic!!!

"Yes, it's a terrible thing BUT on balance, if history has taught us anything it is that tapping the German leader's cell phone is probably MUCH SAFER than not tapping the German leader's phone!"

(It's on a Bugle Podcast somewhere if anyone has time to locate it. Well worth the effort!) :}

ORAC
14th Jul 2016, 17:44
Boris is the Son et Lumiere whilst David Davis gets on with the negotiations whilst the public on both sides are distracted. Misdirection in politics is as worthwhile an ability as in magic....

Fairdealfrank
14th Jul 2016, 21:00
Well what a way she has started, she has picked some exciting names,
But what a move picking Boris as Foreign Secretary, this Lady now seems like she will go far with many people agreeing at what and how she is doing things, that is in my opinion.

Actually it makes good sense from Teresa's point of view: keep him busy and keep him out of the way.

Boris Johnson, David Davis and Liam Fox in the posts which will deal directly with the EU bureaucrats .

Very pleased about David Davis as brexit secretary.

Would like to see him ably assisted by Peter Lilley and Gisela Stuart (make it cross party).

Oh, and Roy Hodgson, he's good at getting us out of Europe!

She will have to take the SNP seriously, very seriously, and take them on in order to defeat the threat to the integrity of the UK once and for all.

Yes, would imagine that Teresa is well aware that Nicola is a very astute politician.

Apologies for the aviation content but it will be interesting to see if she gives Goldsmith a job. He has said he will resign as MP if H3 goes ahead, and she won't want to have a cabinet minister resigning so soon.

Goldsmith is a spent force now, having lost the mayoralty. Don't think he'll be offered a job, no point, no need.

He has a reputation of being a very good constituency MP, so will always have the support of Richmond Conservative Association and Richmond voters, but little credibility or influence at the national level.

If a decision is made to have a 3rd rwy (oh look, another flock of pigs just flew by) he may resign, fight a by election and be returned with a bigger majority.

Taxpayers will pay a tidy sum to prove what we already know: some of the residents of Richmond, particularly the richer vocal ones, don't want a third rwy.

Weirdest hairdo?
Hollande might send them his over-paid barber...

Will they be discussing blonde syrups?

So she puts a Doctor in charge of Trade? he will know even less about it than the Sir Humphreys already there.

What sense does that make?

The new reinstated Dept of Trade and Industry should have gone to Derek Trotter (you know it makes sense) and Business and Enterprise to that well repected business man on the manor, the great entrepreneur Arthur Daley.

Clearly, a big missed opportunity here!

dsc810
14th Jul 2016, 21:18
Note where Mrs May's constituency is in respect of the Heathrow decision
'tis Maidenhead

CATIII-NDB
14th Jul 2016, 21:47
There are a few things that worry me about this politician.

On the plus side she is regarded as being conscientious - But when things go T**s up, she avoids taking responsibility directly, think of the appearances of James Brokenshire; on her behalf, re control on immigration numbers while she was Home Secretary. Catgate (Google it), her stance on Human Rights, and her voting history on Gay rights (a bible thumper).

More importantly she seems to show Monomaniac tendencies -(seen from the outside), re the accounts of her working relationships by former collogues who may be biased of course.

Her decision to appoint Boris Johnson as foreign Secretary, in my opinion, is a blunder of the first magnitude, given his pathetic performance in the BREXIT campaign. It may of course be the result of some kind of politicking within the Conservative party.

I wonder how she would react in a Crisis ? - I have dark visions here. I will not put them into words, but I do actually know about this subject from direct personal experience. Of course time will tell.

The standard of candidate put forward in the competition to become PM was poor. "Command Authority ! anyone ? ". I believe her final opponent is now Secretary of State for the Environment. Enough said.

[Edit: Third Runway at LHR just wait another 30 years or so or ask the Dutch to build one on the UK's behalf.]

CAT III

Gertrude the Wombat
14th Jul 2016, 22:13
The point of order being that only Westminster, NOT Holyrood, can call legally call an independence referendum.
... but the last one was called by Westminster NOT Brussels ... sauce for the goose, surely to goodness? :confused::confused::confused:

Gertrude the Wombat
14th Jul 2016, 22:14
... her final opponent ...
Really bizarre how someone without the media savvy of a district councillor could think they'd make it as PM.

Cazalet33
14th Jul 2016, 23:05
John Major failed the arithmetic test when he applied to become a bus conductor on London Transport.

He later fell on his feet and became, briefly, Chancellor of the Exchequer, and subsequently became primus inter pares.

Weird shit happens in Chaos.

Krystal n chips
15th Jul 2016, 06:29
Not just Boris it seems.....

True, she isn't quite in the same league as Sarah, but, she's not far behind.

Andrea Leadsom's pledge to repeal foxhunting ban causes alarm | Politics | The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/14/andrea-leadsom-repeal-fox-hunting-ban-climate-change)

Here's the reaction of others who see through the carefully crafted "buffoon" image many of you on here seem to adore.

http://www.channel4.com/news/catch-up

cdtaylor_nats
15th Jul 2016, 08:28
I think Sturgeon will find dealing with two Tory women - Teresa May and Ruth Davidson might well show up her shortcomings. I loved Ruth Davidsons comment

"That's the difference between our two parties: Labour is still fumbling with its flies while the Tories are enjoying their post-coital cigarette. After withdrawing our massive Johnson,”

NutLoose
15th Jul 2016, 10:55
http://forum.keypublishing.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=247058&d=1468575866

tartare
15th Jul 2016, 11:02
Bloody pure gold Nutty.
Two options - either May has a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a stoat.
Or she's an idiot.
Occam's Razor.
Given two possible explanations for a given situation - the simpler one is likely to be correct.
Or something like that.
Christ and to think a few days ago I was advocating that people vote for her.

NutLoose
15th Jul 2016, 11:08
Sadly not mine, but I thought it apt

tartare
15th Jul 2016, 11:20
All - consider this post by Martin Fletcher - former Times Foreign Editor.

I was briefly excited by Theresa May. In Downing Street yesterday afternoon she delivered some fine first words as Prime Minister Then she appointed Boris Johnson foreign secretary.
Boris Johnson as foreign secretary? I could scarcely believe it when a friend texted me the news. What a shockingly awful choice! Surely she realises by now that Johnson’s amiable, bumbling buffoonery conceals a profoundly dangerous, irresponsible and flawed human being? In an oblique swipe at Johnson late last month she herself warned: “Some need to be told that what the government does isn’t a game – it’s a serious business that has real consequences for people’s lives.”
At a time when Britain desperately need good relations with Europe, our new Prime Minister has made a man who has spent the last few months – indeed the last quarter century – rubbishing the European Union our figurehead on the international stage. How antagonistic is that?
At a time when we badly need the support of our superpower ally across the Atlantic, May has chosen as Britain’s top diplomat a man who has gratuitously insulted the past, present and probable future presidents of the United States.
She may have given Johnson the job as a sop to the 17 million Brits who voted for Brexit, but in doing so she will have enraged the 16 million who voted to remain, and who hold him responsible for the thoroughly mendacious referendum campaign that has plunged Britain into its worst political and economic crisis since World War Two. How does that further her goal of unifying the country?
As a former foreign editor and foreign correspondent of The Times I have watched numerous foreign secretaries in action. They need many virtues including tact, judgement, restraint, experience, a degree of personal integrity, and the will and ability to master a hideously complex brief. Johnson has none of those.
Tact? Judgement? Restraint? During the referendum campaign Johnson suggested, quite preposterously, that the EU was trying to unite Europe under a single authority just like Hitler did - that original purpose of the EU was expressly avoid further European wars seemed to have escaped him. Equally preposterously, he suggested President Obama harboured a dislike of Britain because of his “part-Kenyan heritage”. He has likened Hillary Clinton to a “sadistic nurse in a mental hospital”, and once called George W.Bush a “cross-eyed Texan warmonger”.
Johnson's newspaper columns are littered with similarly outrageous statements. In one he suggested the UK should make common cause with Syria’s President Assad – a dictator who has used chemical weapons, Scud missiles and barrel bombs on his own cities – to defeat jihadist rebels, and praised Russia’s military intervention in support of the regime. In another he suggested the US should help Iran develop nuclear weapons – the better to control it. He wrote that the Queen loves the Commonwealth “partly because it supplies her with regular cheering crowds of flag-waving piccaninnies”, and that Papua New Guinea indulges in “orgies of cannibalism and chief-killing”.
Experience? Johnson was mayor of London, but has never held the lowliest ministerial job, let alone a top Cabinet post. Of his negotiating skills May herself quipped recently: "Boris negotiated in Europe. I seem to remember last time he did a deal with the Germans, he came back with three nearly-new water cannon" (May, as Home Secretary, subsequently blocked their use). Johnson remains, at heart, a newspaper pundit – a job where words have few consequences, unlike in politics.
Personal integrity? Where do I start? As a young journalist, Johnson was sacked by The Times for making up a quotation. As Brussels correspondent of The Telegraph he made his name with a relentless stream of colourful stories that ridiculed and lampooned the EU but bore little, if any, relation to the truth. Back in London, he broke a solemn promise to Conrad Black, then owner of The Spectator, not to run for parliament while editing the magazine. He cheated on his second wife by having an affair with Petronella Wyatt, and was then sacked as shadow arts spokesman by the Conservative party leader Michael Howard for lying about it.
His mendacity reached its apotheosis during the Brexit referendum. He was the public face of a campaign based on lies - that Britain gave £350 million a week to the EU; that Britain could retain access to the single market without granting freedom of movement; that millions of Turks would shortly invade Britain because Turkey was about to be offered EU membership; that immigrants were destroying the NHS and other social services rather than keeping them going. He campaigned not against the real EU, but against the ridiculous cartoon caricature he created as the Telegraph’s Brussels correspondent.
The will and ability to master a complex brief? Johnson has never done that in his life. He has made a career out of winging it, concealing his lack of preparation with his quick wit, disarming humour and serial evasiveness - “That’s exactly the sort of question I prefer to shirk at this stage”. This is a man so shambolic that he arrived for his (first) wedding without any trousers, and lost his wedding ring within an hour of the ceremony. As Andrew Gimson, his biographer, noted: “He has never prepared himself properly, and this means his whole life has been a preparation for being unprepared.”
Johnson has already caused immense damage to this country by duping it into voting for Brexit. I fear he’s going to cause a whole lot more as foreign secretary. As Gimson once said of him in another context, for May to give him one of the four great offices of state at this time of national crisis is like “entrusting a Ming vase to an ape”.

Peter-RB
15th Jul 2016, 14:44
So all in all Tartare.. do I understand it right,...it seems you are quite a fan of the Blonde one,

don't forget he helped stop vehicle fumes in the so called capital of the western world...by getting all visitors onto Bicycles..surely that was good for the Capital..was it not:ok:

Fareastdriver
15th Jul 2016, 16:05

Johnson has already caused immense damage to this country by duping it into voting for Brexit.

Obviously severely pi**ed off because the UK voted to leave the EU.

Lonewolf_50
15th Jul 2016, 16:13
Profile: Theresa May's husband Philip - BBC News (http://www.bbc.com/news/36774270)

I note that PM May has a husband named Philip -- see in parallel, the Queen is married to a Prince Philip -- and they've been married since the 80's.

Question: will Philip be delegated the task of making somewhat awkward public remarks, as a form of assistance to Prince Philip, or is that task to be formally passed along to the new Foreign Minister? :cool: I barely understand the inner mechanics of the government there in London, so any enlightenment would be appreciated. :E

er340790
15th Jul 2016, 17:07
Tact? Judgement? Restraint? During the referendum campaign Johnson suggested, quite preposterously, that the EU was trying to unite Europe under a single authority just like Hitler did

Oh, I don't know. If the UK had had a witty Foreign Secretary in 1936-38 who could literally lampoon Hitler to death, the world might have been a better place.

And love him or hate him, at least Farage stopped Van Rompuy taking over the world! :E

Cazalet33
15th Jul 2016, 17:11
President Obama harboured a dislike of Britain because of his “part-Kenyan heritage”. He has likened Hillary Clinton to a “sadistic nurse in a mental hospital”, and once called George W.Bush a “cross-eyed Texan warmonger”.

Excellent judgments, both.

Expressing said judgments as Foreign Secretary: not so good.

Flying Binghi
16th Jul 2016, 01:01
From a year ago...

Let?s Scrap The Department Of Energy And Climate Change | The Global Warming Policy Forum (GWPF) (http://www.thegwpf.com/lets-scrap-the-department-of-energy-and-climate-change/)

baggersup
16th Jul 2016, 01:11
Actually it makes good sense from Teresa's point of view: keep him busy and keep him out of the way.

It's funny you should observe that. The first thing I thought of after "oh wow" when I saw he was appointed was to think, heck, he'll be on the road all over the world half the time.

Wonder how many cabinet meetings the FO sec misses simply due to heavy travel schedule? Maybe, it not only keeps him busy, but even away from the meeting table to keep him from overtaking the proceedings by throwing out loads of clever bon mots in Greek or summat? :)

Baldrick's got nothing on Ms. May....

Flying Lawyer
16th Jul 2016, 01:59

Martin Fletcher - famous for his obsessive loathing of Boris Johnson and his consistently unbalanced pro-EU newspaper articles.

NutLoose
16th Jul 2016, 03:17
Anyone else think that she should not have gone to Scotland, rather Scotland should have come to her, it rather makes it look like UK PLC is subservient to Sturgeon and has the PM running around at her beck and call.

Wingswinger
16th Jul 2016, 08:09
Yes, I do. And she should have read Sturgeon's tea-leaves for her. The FM's of the devolved parliaments should all have been summoned to London. On the other hand, she's playing to the court of public opinion and that matters.

= who knows.

Sallyann1234
16th Jul 2016, 09:34
Whatever we think about May's individual appointments, she has certainly given the government a bloody good shake-up, and not before time.

How the pieces fall of course, remains to be seen.

yellowtriumph
16th Jul 2016, 09:59
In our household we refer to Nicola Sturgeon as the grand old Duke of York.

We assume the panel of experts she has appointed are there to tell her that now is not the time to seek independence or continued membership of the EU so that she can say to the Scottish electorate "I would really like to have another referendum vote, and remain in the EU, but these experts say now is not the right time and we must listen to the experts - so don't blame me".

(Half our household is Scottish)

Wingswinger
16th Jul 2016, 10:51
Her heart and soul is in independence. Her brain says ******, NO. FFS.

It would be a disaster. And she knows it.

The Scottish part of the UK electorate need to decide which union is more valuable to them: The successful 309-year-old one which was a Scottish project in the first place (The House of Stuart) or the 20-year-old one which is on the brink of falling apart.

As a Scot and Unionist, I know.

tartare
16th Jul 2016, 12:27
Peter - Lawyer,
I thought Boris was great on `Have I got news for you.'
But - er - that's it.
Cabinet?
Slightly trickier gig - eh?
Man's a strictly 100 IQ muppet.

Fareastdriver
16th Jul 2016, 12:28
Nicola is probably taking after Alex. An Independent Scotland, part of the EU, and when the Scots chuck you out because the country had fallen apart there is a nice comfy seat waiting in Brussels.

Pace
16th Jul 2016, 13:26
The EU don't want Scotland they have enough dependents looking for a free meal ticket

Cazalet33
16th Jul 2016, 14:03
The EU wants Scotland's oil and fishing waters and a trophy country to give them another yellow star on a blue background.

An independent Scotland would have been a bankrupt dictatorship under a very odd Krankie woman. As part of a viable entity, Scotland would be welcome. As a cold-water Cuba, not so much.

Mother Theresa knows that.

NutLoose
16th Jul 2016, 14:28
Well the oil idea works well until the Orkneys declare independence and side with the U.K., something they threatened to do if Scotland voted to leave the UK when the original referendum was held.

pax britanica
16th Jul 2016, 14:44
theresa may is defiantely the right person for the job at this point but she at heart is a EU remainer.

She has pciked a real team of clowns to deal with Brexit, Boris is a clown first and foremost, Davis is deluded as can be seen from his conservative party paper on trade -its based on the 19th century toa large degree and Fox is a serial failure.

Shes smart though so I wonder why she did that?

The biggest issue on trade is thatnwe do not actually make or do anything tangible and economy based on estate agents and financial services is condemned to be a huge net importer , which is exactly what we are. take Australia as a much touted trade partner, they have nothing we want and we have nothing they want and theyare 12000 miles away.

China as another example, China trade on their terms and thats that - they have stood up to the US over Apple patent and IP issues and banned imports , we are going to win a negotiation with them are we ?

The Eu has its problems but its the best place for us because like it or not we are Europeans going back centuries -if the Eu starts to fail its on our doorstep and we will not be able to insulate ourselves so our interests are best served in reform pressure and using our financial expertise to bring more invention to some Euro bourses.

I am sure May knows this just as well as she knows we have only a very very weak hand to play on exit negotiations and as for the idea that the middle calses voted out that is only partly true, older and rural Tories voted out but everyone knew they would, the shock was labour voters in inner and northern cities voting out too- they are the people who handed May and Boris , neither of whom wanted to leave, the challenge they have got

Super VC-10
16th Jul 2016, 14:55
So, we've got Hammond and May...

Anyone seen Clarkson?

Trossie
16th Jul 2016, 15:24
The biggest issue on trade is thatnwe do not actually make or do anything tangible...
One of those common misconceptions held by all those who think that steel and ships ar the only things that one can 'make'. Airbus wings are all made in Britain. Next time you fly on an Airbus, look out at the wing and think about it not being 'tangible'! And it's not just those wings. There is a lot of high-tech manufacturing in Britain, just that most people don't bother to notice it.

Exrigger
16th Jul 2016, 17:28
Don't know how old this is but it is one of many sites that show what the UK do:

UK Manufacturing Statistics (http://www.themanufacturer.com/uk-manufacturing-statistics/)

G0ULI
16th Jul 2016, 19:30
The Royal and Scottish coats of arms show Scotland represented by a unicorn. On both heraldic shields, the unicorn is chained, signifying that it is dangerous and can never be allowed to be free. I am sure that Mrs May will be able explain the finer points to the peasantry across the border and bring them to heel. Sturgeon and Salmon should already be languishing in the Bloody Tower awaiting Her Majesty's pleasure if there were any justice in the world.

Cazalet33
16th Jul 2016, 19:57
Salmond should be deposited in the oubliette in Linlithgow Palace.

The Krankie wumman should spend eternity down that well next to the Half-Moon battery in Embra Castle.

Neither should be pissed upon, lest they be refreshed. They should just be left and forgotten.

EGLD
16th Jul 2016, 20:17
Peter - Lawyer,
I thought Boris was great on `Have I got news for you.'
But - er - that's it.
Cabinet?
Slightly trickier gig - eh?
Man's a strictly 100 IQ muppet.

Are we forgetting his successful stint as London Mayor? I seem to remember the same claims about what a disaster it would be when he took that post

Having met him in an official capacity I can vouch for his public persona being more than a little misleading

Merkel, May, Sturgeon, probably Clinton. Seems the old saying, women rule the world, has come true.

and they're all f*cking terrible.

G0ULI
16th Jul 2016, 20:23
EGLD
Their bedroom performance is the least of our worries.

Cazalet33
16th Jul 2016, 21:33
One does not wish to think of Sturgeon's performance in that regard.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/04/04/23/274AAA3A00000578-0-image-m-10_1428187233991.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CBnM8WGWYAEr5Ot.jpg

hiflymk3
16th Jul 2016, 22:19
Cazalet33, please post a selfie if you think this is a beauty contest.

Trossie
16th Jul 2016, 22:58
Exrigger, thanks for posting that link. So much for those people who say
we do not actually make or do anything tangible.

For all you doom-mongers, Britain is actually a lot greater than you think.

Cazalet33
16th Jul 2016, 23:02
Yes, and we can sell stuff to anyone we wish to trade with. Europe, most especially.

We don't need to be part of the Brussels thing. Take a look at the number of Apple and Samsung things on sale in that town to get an idea of what international trade is all about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvYuoWyk8iU

LEGAL TENDER
16th Jul 2016, 23:51
Sturgeon always seems to be the one who is mocked with regards to her appearance and hairstyle.

I wouldn't describe May, Merkel, Clinton and co exactly as babes!

Maybe Sturgeon is actually quite a good politician and all is left to ridicule is her appearance...

G0ULI
17th Jul 2016, 00:04
If she was that good, she would have a seat in Westminster, not on a local council.

Peter-RB
17th Jul 2016, 10:13
There is an old saying:....Never trust anyone with thin Lips...
QED the crankie lassy :ok:

Gertrude the Wombat
17th Jul 2016, 10:27
If she was that good, she would have a seat in Westminster, not on a local council.
A council leader has vastly more power than a backbench MP, it was explained to me by someone who'd done both.

Even as a district council portfolio holder, which is quite some way down the decision making pecking order, I could sign off larger contracts than central government ministers, I discovered once to my astonishment.

EGLD
17th Jul 2016, 10:47
Spare me the wailing about Sturgeon being mocked for her appearance, male politicians are also mercilessly ridiculed for how they look.

Think Cameron's holiday photos, Gove looking like Pob, Milliband like Wallce and Grommit etc.

hiflymk3
17th Jul 2016, 16:23
Don't get me wrong, I love a good caricature and schoolboy sense of humour but putting it in a sexual context is rather juvenile.