PDA

View Full Version : Seeking LAME

CitationJet
13th Jul 2016, 02:21
I am looking for a LAME in Victoria who -

- knows what a master orifice is and how to use it
- has read the basic service bulletins from TCM
- won't tell me that 'those Gami's make the engine run lean'
- is familiar with APS/John Deakin/Pelican's Perch/Mike Busch!

Any recommendations?

Horatio Leafblower
13th Jul 2016, 03:59
Tony Brand is supposed to be the guru...

The name is Porter
13th Jul 2016, 13:24
Good luck........

Widewoodenwingswork
13th Jul 2016, 14:54
It sounds like you meet all of those requirements, why don't you go and get your license?

Jabawocky
18th Jul 2016, 05:54
Jump over to YPPF, Andrew Denyer (08) 8258 2209

Tell him David Brown sent you. And So would John Deakin or the folk at GAMI too.

Lead Balloon
18th Jul 2016, 07:45
- knows what a master orifice is and how to use itI saw what you did there: a trick criterion.

Anyone who knows about piston aero engines knows that master orifices are scrap metal used to raise money to buy a boroscope! :ok:

A quote from a thread from another blog that's on point:My mechanic calls [compression test results] "buyer's numbers" and "seller's numbers" as he manipulates the prop to show either 45/80 or 75/80..

Progressive
18th Jul 2016, 13:29
No trick at all leady and you have it wrong, a master oriface is a tool to save you money - and keep yor lame legal. BOTH figures in your quote would be acceptable under the right circumstances with a MA.

The main point of your quote is that the "figure" you get on a compression test is useless without the knowledge to interperet it in its full context.....including a borescope inspection.

I saw what you did there: a trick criterion.

Anyone who knows about piston aero engines knows that master orifices are scrap metal used to raise money to buy a boroscope! :ok:

A quote from a thread from another blog that's on point:.

Lead Balloon
18th Jul 2016, 21:23
You can't even spell it correctly when it's written out in front of you. :D

I'm guessing you make money out of the use and enforcement of the use of antique tools and defunct data?

Old Akro
18th Jul 2016, 23:45
I am looking for a LAME in Victoria who -

Any recommendations?

Try Andrew Ralston at Tyabb.

In my opinion compression tests are witchcraft the results of which often have more to to with the technique of the operator than the engine itself. In the era of electronic engine monitoring, what does a compression test tell you that the data logging doesn't do better??

And like most engine stats, it's the trend that matters, not the outright numbers. When do you ever see a LAME present you the trend numbers? I have a spreadsheet of every compression test of our engines (twin) since the engines were new. It took more than an hour or two with the logs. I encourage you to do that. Among other things, it highlights the folly of compression tests, because you will see some in history that are clearly wrong.

As an aside, I also have a spreadsheet of every instrument and fuel gauge calibration over the life of the aircraft and the main thing it tells you is that most LAME's can't calibrate sh1t and highlights the folly of the CASA part 61 changes that reintroduce periodic calibration.

And as for borescopes, a) the borescopes I have seen most LAME's use were rejected by Noah as being too old when he was building the arc. and b) are used by guys who don't really understand what they see. I have a very expensive fibrescope made in Germany. I bought it for non engine inspections, but have used it to look into engines a few times. The main lesson I leaned is that interpreting what you see takes a lot of skill & experience. Once again, I suspect that more LAME's use them than are proficient in interpreting what they see. But, once again, it's the trend that counts. So (in my opinion) unless you are taking photo records of the borescope, then your just playing with yourself.

So, in this day and age, my belief is that once you are LOGGING data for the CHT and EGT for each cylinder, then there's not much more you need. Come in Jaba.

I'm agnostic about GAMI for lycomings, which have better quality control and better intake design than Continental, but I can't believe the difference that GAMI's made to our Continental TSIO 360's. I wish we did it years ago.

Band a Lot
19th Jul 2016, 05:41

The bit that is not high, medium or low bypass.

Technical Citation Manuals.

When used for Water Meth Injection.

As detailed in Cescom mandatory current data requirements.

All simple stuff the LAME should know before touching your Citation Jet!!

Progressive
19th Jul 2016, 07:17
Ah leady, picking on small typos in late night forum posts and clapping your own wisdom, the sign of a true intellectual.
I do not make money from doing aircraft maintenance, I used to but have moved on to other pursuits where less people share unfounded opinions on how I should do my job. When I did do maintenace I appreciated those owners with a 6 point monitoring system on which I could base my informed decisions. However since this accounted for about 50% of the aircraft I maintained I was forced to work with the tools available - a compression guage, master orifice and borescope (correct spelling by the way - boroscope is an americanism). If you have a way of verifying the condition of cylinders without 6 point egt/cht or these tools let me know.

Jaba will be happy to verify my engine maintenace credentials and my role in reducing cost to aircraft owners.