PDA

View Full Version : 2 licences 4 the price of 1

I_Love_CAA
30th Jun 2002, 10:26
Within the new legislation, regarding the change of heart from the CAA about foreign licence conversions, could it now be possible to study the JAA ATPLs, then straight after FAA CPL/IR groundschool, nip over to the states for FAA CPL/IR training, come back to blightly, complete a quick conversion and have 2 licences For JAA and FAA so both G & N reg a/c can be flow commercially anywhere???!!! :confused: :confused: ;)
Or am I just talking out of my jet nozzle

Grivation
30th Jun 2002, 10:37
You appear to be correct. I would have thought this change would have included a minimum IFR experience requirement before the conversion could take place!!??

Wee Weasley Welshman
30th Jun 2002, 10:43
At first glance then YES this is now a viable route...

Need to look at the detail a bit closer - there could well be some snags. There often are!

Could be big news.

Gin Slinger
30th Jun 2002, 14:18
Well, I don't love the CAA but....

The idea of doing JAA ATPL exams, then going stateside to do an FAA CPL/IR plus CFI rating could be very attractive.

After that, spend 6-9 months instructing in the US, hopefully racking up 80-100 hours a month, return to blighty to convert the CPL/IR to the JAA variety.

Let's hope there isn't a sting in the tail!

inverted flatspin
30th Jun 2002, 18:46
Yes it certainly makes sense to have as many options open as possible, what makes this especially attractive is that FAA certificates never expire. So if you neglect to do your BFR or Instrument proficiency check for a number of years an suddenly get offered employment with an N-reg operator then that is all you have to do (BFR+IPC) and you are current again, no paper work, no administrative hassles, no renewal fee.

Having something and not needing it is better than not having it and needing it. This commandment semms to cover most everything in aviation.

Gin Slinger
1st Jul 2002, 16:10
Just looked at the update section of the CAA website (http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/licensing/whatsnew.asp)

I don't see a mention of any credit for holding an ICAO CPL without the 1500 hours multi-crew time - seems crazy to have to do a 25 hour approved course when there is a 40 hour reduction for the JAA IR.

God bless the whoever dreamt up the JAR!