PDA

View Full Version : Worst Air Traffic Control movie ever?

Dan Dare
12th Jul 2016, 12:21
Apologies for slightly aviation content, but I just noticed that Ground Control with Kiefer Sutherland is on at 1pm on movies4men today. It is so bad that it becomes quite entertaining and makes Pushing Tin look like a documentary.

Does anyone know a worse ATC film?

maliyahsdad2
12th Jul 2016, 14:07
Airplane! :}

PDR1
12th Jul 2016, 14:28
Independence Day

PDR

treadigraph
12th Jul 2016, 14:39
Those Magnificent Men...

ehwatezedoing
12th Jul 2016, 17:44
Top Gun...

chevvron
12th Jul 2016, 20:36
The Crowded Sky.
This was the one which was used as the basis for Airplane.

hiflymk3
12th Jul 2016, 20:36
Airport/s ad nauseam.

vapilot2004
12th Jul 2016, 23:06
United 93 was one of the best portrayals of what happened on 11 September.

Flight 93, on the other hand was apparently written by a hack with too many political overtones.

In the former, many of the roles in ATC and NORAD scenes were credited as "himself" or "herself".

Sue Vêtements
13th Jul 2016, 00:10
They even HAVE films about Air Traffic Controllers?

rotornut
13th Jul 2016, 01:28
Not about ATC but I like this one:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQnv22Qnp8s

tdracer
13th Jul 2016, 03:25
To be fair, the "Airplane" movies (and to a slightly less extent, Those Magnificent Men) were intended to be silly spoofs.
They even HAVE films about Air Traffic Controllers?
None that I know of. Which is a bit of a shame - a script/movie could be readily done from the aftermath of the air traffic people after a fatal accident due to an ATC error. If properly done I suspect it could be quite gripping.

Sultan Ismail
13th Jul 2016, 05:07
Look for "Blackout Effect", issued in 1998 with Charles Martin Smith as the controller at the time of midair collision. Points a finger at outdated equipment and suspect maintenance.

maliyahsdad2
13th Jul 2016, 09:11
To be fair, the "Airplane" movies (and to a slightly less extent, Those Magnificent Men) were intended to be silly spoofs.

Thanks for the clarification! :rolleyes:

chevvron
13th Jul 2016, 09:17
Apologies for slightly aviation content, but I just noticed that Ground Control with Kiefer Sutherland is on at 1pm on movies4men today. It is so bad that it becomes quite entertaining and makes Pushing Tin look like a documentary.

Does anyone know a worse ATC film?
Pushing Tin wasn't a documentary?
OK not all of us controllers get to [email protected] Angelina Jolie but I thought the characters were very true to life.

charliegolf
13th Jul 2016, 10:58
Crisis in Mid Air, George Peppard. Gets the blame for a mid-air. Not his fault, natch, but ok ish.

CG

G-CPTN
13th Jul 2016, 11:05
Did they ever make a film of the Überlingen mid-air collision (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Überlingen_mid-air_collision)?

The Discovery Channel Canada documentary series Mayday featured this accident in the episode titled Deadly Crossroads, which was released in 2004.

The National Geographic Channel documentary series Seconds From Disaster featured this mid-air collision in the episode entitled Collision at 35,000 feet released on 26 September 2011.

"Flug in die Nacht – Das Unglück von Überlingen" (2009), ("Flight into the night – the accident at Überlingen") produced by German and Swiss TV stations SWR and SF, is a motion picture based on the crash and the subsequent killing of the air traffic controller.

The Smithsonian Channel's "Air Disasters" documentary series, featured this accident in the second season's third episode titled "System Breakdown", released in 2011. Available on Netflix as of Oct. 2015.

The upcoming American film 478 is based on the aftermath of the disaster with Arnold Schwarzenegger portraying a character largely based on Vitaly Kaloyev. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Überlingen_mid-air_collision#Dramatization)

LookingForAJob
13th Jul 2016, 15:59
Pushing Tin wasn't a documentary?
OK not all of us controllers get to [email protected] Angelina Jolie but I thought the characters were very true to life.Agreed. The film is never going to win any awards but I couldn't help seeing all of the character traits, sometimes very well depicted on screen, somewhere on my watch. And I include myself, naturally, but mine were all the good ones.

vapilot2004
14th Jul 2016, 01:31
I've watched Pushing Tin once or twice over the years. So the fast cars, drinking and wild behavior is not just limited to Navy fighter pilots?

Wile E. Coyote
14th Jul 2016, 08:47
One of my favourites : 405 The Movie. A DC-10 makes an emergency landing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpx6o4gvmXE

ian16th
14th Jul 2016, 11:06
vapilot2004

In the former, many of the roles in ATC and NORAD scenes were credited as "himself" or "herself".

Not necessarily a good thing!

Have you ever seen the filmed reconstruction of Frank Whittle running up his 1st jet engine?

Its a good job Frank was a brilliant engineer, Oscar material he wasn't.

vapilot2004
14th Jul 2016, 11:23
Its a good job Frank was a brilliant engineer, Oscar material he wasn't.

That's amusing. And I haven't, Ian. Added to my list, thank you.

If you have the chance and constitution for it, United 93 does tell the story of the day for that aircraft and those on the ground as we know it, very well - acting wasn't noticed one way or another by this viewer as the story (as told) in itself is engrossing and the gravity of nearly every scene was palpable.

CATIII-NDB
14th Jul 2016, 22:35
Pushing Tin a real stinker - Mayday ! at 40,000 Feet with David Janssen another Booby.

CAT III

chevvron
26th Jul 2016, 05:14
There was another with George Peppard and Desi Arnaz Jnr set (I think) at SoCal Terminal Control; can't remember the name of it.

chevvron
26th Jul 2016, 05:17
Agreed. The film is never going to win any awards but I couldn't help seeing all of the character traits, sometimes very well depicted on screen, somewhere on my watch. And I include myself, naturally, but mine were all the good ones.
For my final shift before retiring I was planning to take in a folding chair to sit on - and I forgot it!
Who was I identifying with in Pushing Tin?

Hempy
26th Jul 2016, 08:45
Pushing Tin was rubbish, but they got the part about ATC's knocking off each others wives spot on

Evanelpus
27th Jul 2016, 15:56
Airplane vs Volcano....the ATC in this was trash