PDA

View Full Version : Complete PPL Skill Test by the end of the month or resit exams?

Rote 8
5th Mar 2001, 14:04
I was told yesterday by my instructors that I am now required under JAR to complete my skill test and have made my application for a PPL by the end of this month or forefit all of the examinations that I sat before Christmas (All except RT and Tech). Has anyone else heard this and is anyone in a position to confirm it?

Obviously I am going to do my best to finish by the end of the month, on the other hand I think the weather is trying to make damn sure that I dont!

Barney
5th Mar 2001, 14:18
Hi,

Try looking at the CAA website:
www.caa.co.uk (http://www.caa.co.uk)
It may give you info on the PPL. You will need to look at Safety regulation/FCL/Documents. There will be a GID (general Information Document) on the PPL. In here it tells you about the validity of the PPL Exams.

MTPW: I was of the understanding that the PPL exams must all be completed in a period of 12 months from the first pass, and were then valid for 24 months from the date of completion of the examinations.

I would check it, and argue the point. Especially if your FTO are going to try and charge you £10-20 to rsit each exam again.

Let us know how you get on....and good luck!

Barney

TooHotToFly
5th Mar 2001, 14:43
Barney's right - 24 months from the date of passing the last written exam to pass the skill test and apply for your licence.

Rote 8
5th Mar 2001, 19:07
Thanks Guys.

I dont think that the validity period is an issue here. I have certainly sat all of them within a 12 month period. Something to do with the CAA/JAA issuing a complete new set of exam papers. Personally I dont think this amounts to a suitable reason for me having to re sit all the papers.

I should stress that I have done ALL of the exams already. I did not make that clear in my first post.

Token Bird
5th Mar 2001, 19:10
Your instructor has misunderstood the letter sent to him by the CAA regarding the new exams. The letter insinuates that anyone applying for a licence after the end of March must have taken the new exams. My instructor clarified with the CAA and it turns out what they actually meant was that any written exams TAKEN after that date must be of the new type. So you have nothing to worry about,

TB
:)

Rote 8
5th Mar 2001, 20:27
Token Bird

Thanks. That is the kind of response that I was looking for.
I am now feeling much better!

Still want to finish the damn thing by the end of the month mind you.

and the chap said
5th Mar 2001, 21:22
Me too! I'm in exactly the same situation and it is becoming increasingly difficult and more expensive with this adverse weather. I'm so close to qualifying and have been at the same point for weeks...

sorry - winge over,

ATCS