PDA

View Full Version : Golden Bay Air

210Terry
9th Jul 2016, 15:10
Anyone know much about this mob? Didn't they have a crash a few years ago?

tail wheel
9th Jul 2016, 20:15
Google is your friend.

truthinbeer
10th Jul 2016, 07:11
Google is your friend. And it looks like the plane run into a dutch, aye.
http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/regional/67455/caa-investigating-plane-crash-near-nelson

210Terry
10th Jul 2016, 08:39
Wondering if anyone knows what working for them is like...conditions etc:ok:

Capt Fathom
10th Jul 2016, 11:52
Wondering if anyone knows what working for them is like...conditions etc
Why would you be interested?
In your initial post, you referred to them as a mob and mentioned a possible crash previously!

Pakehaboy
10th Jul 2016, 14:46
Flown them on several occasions(2),never had any issues.Ive taken the time to engage the Captain in conversation,have found both very pleasant,knowledgable and proficient.On both occasions I've introduced my self as a fellow pilot,and been offered a headset etc.Actually felt they were quite professional for operation they were running.Takaka to welly.In conversation with one young fella,he was definitely building time,and since I had flown this type of operation many years ago,he knew what he was doing

tail wheel
10th Jul 2016, 16:53
I'm curious - their web site suggests they operate RPT services with single piston engine aircraft.

Do the NZ Regs permit SE aircraft RPT operations, presumably VFR?

haughtney1
10th Jul 2016, 19:03
Yep tailwheel, they do...and with a Van or PC12, you can even go IFR.

waren9
11th Jul 2016, 06:17
surprising what you can do when casa isnt the regulator.

Squawk7700
11th Jul 2016, 06:29
Meanwhile in Europe.

Europe To Expand Single-Engine Turbine Ops - AVweb flash Article (http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Europe-To-Expand-Single-Engine-Turbine-Ops-226520-1.html)

tail wheel
11th Jul 2016, 22:35
If single piston engine VFR RPT services were permitted in rural Australia (or the carriage of individual fare paying passengers on charter operations), hundreds of small Australian rural communities would still have access to some passenger and mail air services, we would still have an excellent training ground for graduating commercial pilots, still have a viable aircraft maintenance industry - and Australia would still have a GA industry.

Just saying......... :sad:

27/09
12th Jul 2016, 06:33
Tail wheel ; You need to realise safe skies are empty skies. :ugh:

outnabout
14th Jul 2016, 03:10
Tail Wheel for PM (or at the very least, Minister for Infrastructure and Transport)....But having a Minister with some knowledge of their portfolio wouldn't help the Humphrey Applebys at all, would it..

Dick Smith
15th Jul 2016, 02:16
That's what I was bringing in as Chairman of CASA. It's called Scheduled Air Taxi under part 135 in the USA.

Resisted by our dopey industry so did not go ahead. FAA allows single engined IFR in piston planes as well.

My plan was to harmonise with the lowest cost from around the world .

May do that again one day!

LeadSled
15th Jul 2016, 03:26
Folks,
It was a long battle by Sound Air (C208) to get the NZ CAA to change.

Despite the general "FAA" approach in NZ, there is a hard core of Euro/EASAophiles, particularly medical "standards" and the UK CAA hard line resistance to the C208 and similar being used for IFR "commercial" operations.

As it stands in Australia, the additional "airworthiness" requirements imposed on a C208 (ASETPA) are way over the top, and have never been risk management justified, let alone cost/benefit justified.

Tootle pip!!

prospector
15th Jul 2016, 23:25
It was a long battle by Sound Air (C208) to get the NZ CAA to change.

Yes, it always seemed so ridiculous that it was considered to be more safe at 500ft, quite legally across Cook Strait, in crook weather, then to be at 6,000 or more feet in a fully IFR equipped, and with GPS fitted, because you only had one engine, that was well known, with proper trend monitoring, for its reliability .