PDA

View Full Version : Draft beer ...

ExXB
9th Jul 2016, 06:23
Various news outlets are regurgitating a KLM press release which suggests that KL, in a world's first, is introducing draft beer on 'selected' flights.

I recall that Swissair (SR) had a wonderful Appenzeller draft beer on their long haul fleet in the 90s/00s.

I don't see why KL could not have done a little research first before stating a falsehood. They are not the world's first. Not by over 15 years. And I seriously doubt that SR were the first either.

I also think it's a falsehood to refer to Heineken as beer. Diluted gnats' piss produced by a company with much more marketing money than brewing talent. There are many good Dutch beers that KL could have selected.

PAXboy
9th Jul 2016, 11:19
My guess is that the KLM's PR are in their 20s. I have seen adverts in the technology world (in which I slaved for 27 years) that claim 'firsts' I remember seeing years before.

My first instinct is always to write letters to the CEO and shout loudly but, I'm getting old and I let the children play ...

RevMan2
17th Jul 2016, 19:38
Lufthansa was serving Holsten draft from wooden barrels on the 707 in the 70s. Proof here (http://bit.ly/2a1JJJs)

Stanwell
17th Jul 2016, 20:29
Spot on, ExXB and PAXboy.
Similarly, I endorse ExXB's considered, yet restrained, assessment of Heineken.

vctenderness
18th Jul 2016, 08:51
As I posted on the other thread on this subject BOAC served draft beer on upper deck lounge of 747 on certain routes in 1970's.

They were the pipkin large cans I think of (yuk) Watneys Red Barrel with a soda stream type tap.

Not as fancy as the KLM Heiniken I admit.

Alsacienne
18th Jul 2016, 21:56
Are we talking about 'draught' beer or has someone left a window open opposite the brewery?

OK so I'm being a bit of a pedant ...

barry lloyd
19th Jul 2016, 08:05
I also think it's a falsehood to refer to Heineken as beer. Diluted gnats' piss produced by a company with much more marketing money than brewing talent. There are many good Dutch beers that KL could have selected.

:ok: I've always thought it tasted more like the can that contains it.

Yes, it has been tried several times before, but it's a gimmick and I suspect it won't last long.

esa-aardvark
3rd Aug 2016, 17:42
Don't know about draft beer, but I flew Austrian last year
and there was a chef complete with funny hat and striped trousers
taking orders Perhaps they had draft beer as well, but I usually drink wine.
Sadly I am not much of a foodie so wasted on me.
John

Wot No Engines
6th Aug 2016, 05:34
Hope they don't mean like this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm6VC5gdaFA) at 0:40