PDA

View Full Version : Is Radio Dead?

meadowrun
8th Jul 2016, 05:37
Aside from in the car during the commute, occasionally?
Anyone flip on the radio anymore?

obgraham
8th Jul 2016, 06:10
Actually, yes. Most all day long.

But then, I like classical. Not a great demand these days.

vapilot2004
8th Jul 2016, 06:23
Long time listener and contributor to the US system of National Public Radio. Certain sports coverage via the wireless is also useful.

cdtaylor_nats
8th Jul 2016, 06:45
Radio 4 in the morning and last thing at night
4 and 4 extra during the day

sidevalve
8th Jul 2016, 07:12
A few months ago I gave Madame a Roberts Stream 107 (DAB/DAB+/FM/Wi-Fi Internet Radio with Media Streaming). We use it exclusively as an internet radio and for that it's exceptional. It has a well-thought out & easy-to-use menu that enables us to select programmes by country (then genre, ie, news, talk, comedy, music, sport etc etc) or genre (all countries). It gives us far more choice of programmes than a standard radio. I believe there are upwards of 10,000 radio stations 'out there' but it's simplicity itself to access the type of programmes required.
It's the size of a large paperback and the sound quality (adjustable for treble & bass) is more than adequate. (More info here (http://www.aeldownloads.com/robertsradio/userguides/Stream107%20Issue.1.pdf)) One of the best buys we've made. (I have no link with Roberts other than as a satisfied customer!)

sitigeltfel
8th Jul 2016, 07:33
I use a Logitech Squeezebox internet radio. A good piece of kit that can also be used to stream music from other linked devices.

PLovett
8th Jul 2016, 07:56
Far prefer radio to anything thats on TV but then I am with obgraham and mostly listen to classical music.

UniFoxOs
8th Jul 2016, 08:00
A few months ago I gave Madame a Roberts Stream

A couple of years ago I gave SWMBO a similar unit (Colourstream) for the bedside as she wanted a radio alarm and I was not sure whether VHF or DAB would still exist in the futurem, and this would continue to work whatever happened, as it would also do internet radio and play music off our server.

Nicest-looking 200 doorstop I've ever brought. It went back - they couldn't fix it, always packing up, freezing, losing settings. Real bummer which I particularly chose becauise of Roberts reputation as a maker of quality gear.

She listens to a little DAB radio downstairs all day when I'm not in *, I never bother with radio at all.

* Basic laws of the universe - Nature abhors a vacuum, women abhor a silence.

treadigraph
8th Jul 2016, 08:10
Liusten to Radio 4 mostly, or rather it's on; if I want music, 4000+ MP3 tracks on my laptop on shuffle and broadcast around the house through a wireless system. Music I like without any inane chatter...

gemma10
8th Jul 2016, 08:50
Radio 4 on the old Stella valve radio on the long wave. Would be better on FM but can`t find a new valve.

ExXB
8th Jul 2016, 09:10
FM being phased out here in Switzerland. DAB+ is the future, apparently.

Good thing to as the FM band is saturated, and little coordination with neighbouring countries to minimise interference.

vctenderness
8th Jul 2016, 09:23
How will that pan out in a mountainous country? I find DAB here in UK pretty useless, in particular on the move, always breaking up.

It seems to be a quite localised medium.

G-CPTN
8th Jul 2016, 10:20
I live in a valley -out of sight-line of the DAB transmitters and, therefore, beyond DAB reception.
Still got the local medium wave transmitter (http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/stagshaw/index.php) above me - but for how long?

ExXB
8th Jul 2016, 10:30
It's DAB+ (PLUS), not the earlier DAB. It does work well and offers things not available on FM. Ironically the two transmitters used by the local English language radio station are actually in France - which doesn't use DAB+.

Tankertrashnav
8th Jul 2016, 10:48
Radio's on all day in the TTN household. Radio 4 in the morning until 10 am when Woman's Hour has me grabbing the switch to re-tune to Radio 3 where it stays for most of the day. Radio 3 is problematic late at night, when it's either "world music" or some dreadful jazz. By that time Radio 4 is broadcasting some puerile comedy in the mistaken belief that it will catch the yoof audience, so I am driven to Classic FM which is ok, but the banal adverts drive me bonkers.

Funnily enough I quite often leave the radio off in the car, as I rather like the opportunity to just think.

BTW I've got an old fashioned Roberts (non DAB, of the type favoured by HM, I believe}. If it's good enough for her...!

Danny42C
8th Jul 2016, 11:05
obgraham (#2) and Plovett (#7),

Me too ! In UK now, the only reasons for turning on the radio are News and Classic FM. Of this it has been said that: "This is the station that Radio 3 should have been". Trouble is, from time to time, it imagines that it is Radio 3, and puts out a programme so highbrow that you need to go on oxygen to listen to it. This risks alienating its natural (very large) audience, which provides it with a handsome advertising revenue.

Most of my listening is done on a little Sony tranny (model ICF-S10MK2), which I've had for years. Best 10 I ever spent (believe still on market at 15 - or was last time I looked). Marvellous quality from 2 in speaker.

Danny42C.

Cyber Bob
8th Jul 2016, 11:22
I try not to miss the Simon Mayo show on R2. Thank goodness for tinternet especially 'Tunein Radio' app and BBC podcast. Keep's me sane downroute

vulcanised
8th Jul 2016, 12:27
Radio 4 FM for news throughout the morning and then again at 5pm.

Ancient Observer
8th Jul 2016, 12:28
Our "alarm clock" is a dab radio which is set to radio 4. It doesn't take long to get me up as I quickly get annoyed by the Trots, pinkoes, and Hampstead/Primrose Hill multi-millionaires set wittering on about the poor and deprived.
Car has a multi-gigbite SD type card which plays just about everything in our CD collection. So no need for radio, unless there is real news to listen to. Radio 5live is better than radio 4 for news as there are less Trots and pinkoes broadcasting on 5.

Duckbutt
8th Jul 2016, 12:36
Tuning knob on my radio probably rusted in position for Radio 4 as it is never changed. Except for the days when Test Match Special is being broadcast of course.

Occasionally visit Classic FM but in general find adverts too much of a distraction - can you get Adblock+ for radio?

radar101
8th Jul 2016, 12:38
Don't forget Radio 4 Extra on DAB, Freeview and internet.

Classic comedy, Drama etc. Everything from the Goons, through Round the Horne to Old Harry's Game.

Out Of Trim
8th Jul 2016, 14:20
When at home, usually have LBC streaming on an old iPad. My car radio tuned to LBC also. But sometimes listen to a favourite CD or music from my iPhone when driving.:cool:

SMT Member
8th Jul 2016, 16:11
Got a DAB in the kitchen, which is more or less always turned on and tuned to a non-commercial station broadcasting a bit of everthing music wise, mixed with hourly news reports and the odd goofball story. Got DAB in the car too, tuned to the same station.

I'm craving a Devialet 200 digital amp hooked up to a set of Macintosh XRT1K noisemakers. The missues, however strange it may sound, is not in total agreement. Neither would, I suspect, the neighbours be.

er340790
8th Jul 2016, 16:18
Now that we can stream 5Live and Radio 4 over the internet, or download progs later, I listen to the 'radio' more than I have done in years. :D

So, yes, my radio is dead but radio is alive & well! :E

Random SLF
8th Jul 2016, 16:21
Radio 4 on the old Stella valve radio on the long wave. Would be better on FM but can`t find a new valve.

Have you tried: radio valve (http://www.langrex.co.uk/radio-valve.html)

ExXB
8th Jul 2016, 17:04
Well if you are into streaming

Radio Swiss Pop - Home (http://www.radioswisspop.ch/en)
Radio Swiss Jazz - Home (http://www.radioswissjazz.ch/en)
Radio Swiss Classic - Home (http://www.radioswissclassic.ch/en)

All available on DAB+ as well

Very little talking (mainly announcing who they are in four languages) and no ads.

Enjoy

Geordie_Expat
8th Jul 2016, 18:09
I have Planet Rock on from about 0900 to 1800 every day (sad but true). This is on Sky 0110. I do have a DAB radio but just recently PR is no longer available in this area. I did query this with the powers and got a long e-mail by return but still don't have the station. Bloody annoying considering it is not available on FM.

ricardian
8th Jul 2016, 20:21
BBC Radio 4 in the morning for news (although I do shout at the presenters when they won't let folk talk). BBC Radio 4 Extra and BBC iPlayer enables me to listen to programmes when I want to, not when they are being broadcast. Currently catching up with Peter Tinniswood's Uncle Mort & Carter. BBC Radio 3 but NEVER anything marked "first broadcast performance" as that pretty well guarantees a sound that someone described as "a toybox being pushed down several flights of stairs"

racedo
8th Jul 2016, 20:35
Has a hire car recently with DAB and found ChrisCountry which plays Country music...................... ideal for sitting on M25.

vulcanised
8th Jul 2016, 20:45
When my radio engineer mate's Dad died he found the radio tuning cord had rotted away, leaving it permanently on R4.

gingernut
8th Jul 2016, 21:38
Bought a "cb" from a car boot a few years ago, (three quid)-rigged it up to a home made aerial, (some old hoover cable and a few clothes pegs.)

Worked a treat, and managed to get through a few Cornish "breakers." (Well, actually, they were farmers).

The kids had never seen anything like it and were fascinated.

DirtyProp
8th Jul 2016, 21:56
We can then safely assume that video did not kill the radio star.

IUgF49Rtg7Q

jimtherev
8th Jul 2016, 23:13
Current car has DAB / FM. Thought: 'well, FM a good standby when DAB fades out, but I can honestly say that in 18 months I've never lost DAB signal... Scotland, English Midlands, Southeast, South coast etc. Whether it's just a good sensitive radio I don't know. Listen all the time in the car.

What is irritating is that the PURE radio alarm, which picks up its time from the radio station, is a consistent 90 seconds slow... the clock bit, that is; the radio bit is the usual 3 seconds behind FM.

obgraham
9th Jul 2016, 00:12
No DAB's over here. I still have to get radio via two soup cans and a long string.

Fortunately, internet radio is allowing everyone everywhere to listen to what they want. I like ExXB's Radio Swiss a lot. As long as I'm at my home wifi.

Tankertrashnav
9th Jul 2016, 00:27
I like your Swiss Classic station too, ExXB - small chunks rather than complete symphonies etc, just like Classic FM but without the really annoying ads. I still like Radio 3 for the "hard stuff" though, except when they start on the dreaded jazz and "world music".

Thanks for the link.

G-CPTN
9th Jul 2016, 00:44
My Sony SRF-S84 (https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/411HXKV85ML._SY450_.jpg) AM/FM personal stereo radio is with me 24 hours, 7 days a week.
As mentioned above, I bought a portable DAB radio, but I live in a dead region (with no direct sight-line to the DAB transmitter) so had to return the DAB radio.
Whilst internet radio is an option, it would restrict me to being where I could access an internet connection, and, therefore, not 100% mobile such as walking into the village or along the riverbank or catching the 'bus into town.

If anyone can suggest a solution that provides all the facilities on which I insist, then I will remain receptive.

obgraham
9th Jul 2016, 07:05
Whilst internet radio is an option, it would restrict me to being where I could access an internet connection, and, therefore, not 100% mobile such as walking into the village or along the riverbank or catching the 'bus into town.

If anyone can suggest a solution that provides all the facilities on which I insist, then I will remain receptive. My internet radio works fine on my Android mobile phone and my Bose earplugs, via an app that gives me hundreds of stations. I can wander the back streets of booneyville as long as I have mobile service -- lots easier for y'all in Europe.

ExXB
9th Jul 2016, 07:39
Apple's iTunes app supports streaming to "i" devices. Quite a few other apps on the app store as well. Before the new car I was streaming the local radio to my phone which streamed it via Bluetooth to my car radio.

But streaming can be a bit of a bandwidth hog, never stream while roaming.

Tankertrashnav
9th Jul 2016, 16:28
Has a hire car recently with DAB and found ChrisCountry which plays Country music...................... ideal for sitting on M25.

As if getting stuck on the M25 isn't bad enough in itself :eek:

;)

Kiltrash
9th Jul 2016, 20:02
Up in the moring and late to bed with Talksport, exept when its Stan Collymore, Prat,

Lonewolf_50
9th Jul 2016, 20:39
Nope:
I listen to music, sports, news, and a few other things on radio. I also sometimes stream stuff on bluetooth in the car like Pandora. Depends.

chevvron
10th Jul 2016, 01:47
Up in the moring and late to bed with Talksport, exept when its Stan Collymore, Prat,
Glad there's someone else can't stand him; thought it was just me.
Had to change to a DAB last year 'cos reception on MW 1089 khz was getting so bad.

FullOppositeRudder
10th Jul 2016, 03:04
The radios still get a lot of use in our household, mostly on ABC Classic FM. I hasten to add however that in recent months the volume gets turned down a lot of the time. There seems to be a policy of interspersing increasingly rare 'good' music with crap which is offensive - to our ears anyway. Music is not music if it's unpleasant to the senses.

Out in the shack, amateur radio still rules. 'Doesn't get as much attention as it used to because of local crud which permeates the most interesting (and otherwise usable and available) bands. And it's a long way to the next peak in the sunspot cycle - if it happens at all.

Bring back 1979 I say! (Worked the world on ten metres with 5 watts) (sigh ......)

FOR
(VK5---)

vapilot2004
10th Jul 2016, 05:50
Bring back 1979 I say! (Worked the world on ten metres with 5 watts) (sigh ......)

Father had a few long-wave sets when I was growing up, so I can learnedly say, that's impressive FOR.

goudie
10th Jul 2016, 12:26
I have Classic FM on most of the day. The presenters speak pleasantly and the music is easy on the ear. The adverts are sometimes annoying, especially when they mention the 'small print' at breakneck speed!

Fairdealfrank
10th Jul 2016, 15:19
What is irritating is that the PURE radio alarm, which picks up its time from the radio station, is a consistent 90 seconds slow... the clock bit, that is; the radio bit is the usual 3 seconds behind FM.

If you want deadly accurate time from a radio alarm, you need to take it from an analogue (FM, AM, etc.) radio. There's always a slight delay when the analogue signal is converted to digital.

Gertrude the Wombat
10th Jul 2016, 15:33
If you want deadly accurate time from a radio alarm, you need to take it from an analogue (FM, AM, etc.) radio. There's always a slight delay when the analogue signal is converted to digital.
There is, however, no obvious excuse for the protocol not being designed to carry a more accurate timestamp. Then at least the radio would know the right time and could use that for its alarm, even if the audio for the pips is late on digital channels.

ExXB
10th Jul 2016, 15:38

I believe that is the case if the signal is broadcast both on FM and DAB. Our Pure clock tunes to a unique DAB+ signal that matches the BBC's pips.

Harley Quinn
10th Jul 2016, 16:35
Aside from in the car during the commute, occasionally?
Anyone flip on the radio anymore?

Today and PM on R4 almost religiously. Occasional forays to R2 as long as that throbber Steve Wright is not on air. R3 and Classic FM for long drives as long as the music is thunderous. Book at bedtime is a good way to wind down, less so some of the tripe that passes for comedy at that hour. I'm Sorry I Haven't Got a Clue and Just a Minute are unmissable

ElectroVlasic
10th Jul 2016, 19:03
Interesting for me to read as someone living in the US who listens to a lot of BBC content. I know BBC license fees are a very sore point, but it it helps, it does draw an audience...

I'm in my 50s and have listened to BBC World Service on bedside radios since the 1980s. For whatever reason I find the dulcet tones of the 'presenters' to be very soothing, far more soothing than any US media outlet. Back then, it was done using a Grundig shortwave receiver, which still works stunningly well 30 years later.

Then, as the the BBC (wisely, IMHO) decided the electricity bill for throwing megawatts of energy into the ether from various international locations was no longer justified, I transitioned to various Internet Radio devices. To be honest, that shortwave connection was dubious at times, due to fade in / fade out of shortwave radio.

As mentioned above, the Logitech Squeezebox is solid kit, but Logitech has discontinued it, so you'll have to find one on the used market, but IMHO it is the best such device and worth hunting down. I have one in my kitchen and one bedside and it's very reliable.

And these days, to me, it's mostly about podcasts. If you have Internet service, it's so simple to find yourself a podcast app and download countless "radio stations" and listen to them whenever you decide it's worth your time, almost always without commercial advertisements, or very few of them that you can skip past since almost every player device has a 'skip forward 30 seconds' button. In my case, I download podcasts on to my phone whilst I'm asleep and in the morning I put my phone into a dock in my car and I have an amazing amount of content I can listen to on my drive to work. Reverse happens at work: phone goes into cradle, connects to company wireless, downloads content for the ride back home. Far better than listening to the repulsive stuff that is on the US airwaves these days.

Thanks again for the interesting discussion. I love radio! I have a few collector's pieces in my home, one from the 1920s and another from the 1940s, and a few more modern things too. I've had to restrain myself from buying several others. I love the old kit, but it takes up space, and it's beyond me to repair it if/when it breaks, so I just keep a few pieces around and turn them on when the mood is right.

evansb
10th Jul 2016, 20:04
Like several other countries, Canada terminated Radio Canada International, (RCI), the government sponsored short-wave broadcast a few years ago.

Yet a city like Calgary has 6 AM (MW) stations and 23 FM stations, which includes French and multilingual stations.

Tankertrashnav
10th Jul 2016, 22:39
Interesting for me to read as someone living in the US who listens to a lot of BBC content. I know BBC license fees are a very sore point, but it it helps, it does draw an audience...

Don't forget that the licence is only required to operate a TV set, not a radio, so if you don't have a TV set in the UK you get all of the BBC's radio output for nothing.

ElectroVlasic
10th Jul 2016, 23:15
Re: RCI: The interesting thing about internet radio is the broadcaster gets a much better idea of who (if anybody) is downloading the content. The old joke about (newspaper/radio/tv) adverts is "50% of adverts are ignored, we just don't know which ones!". With internet media they get a much better idea, much to the chagrin of the media... Even when downloading podcasts they can count how many people are downloading and in addition they can tell by the Internet address roughly where the download is coming from, and they can try to correlate the address to other things being downloaded to that same address, etc.

Re: BBC licenses: Yes, I understand it's only needed for TV, but my understanding is the TV side underwrites most of the radio side, and that causes a lot of tension within the organization...

Tankertrashnav
11th Jul 2016, 10:01
Certainly BBC Radio is very much the poor relation. Years ago I used to do a monthly phone-in on BBC Radio Cornwall which lasted around an hour. Initially I got a 10 fee (just about covered the petrol) but then that stopped without any explanation. The last time I went I even had to ask if I could have a coffee when none was forthcoming. Binned it after that, as I thought, skint or not, if they couldn't even offer their contributors some refreshment then I wasn't going to put myself out for nothing!

EEngr
12th Jul 2016, 01:21
I certainly hope not!

Come in Rangoon.