PDA

View Full Version : Mobile phone in France

funfly
7th Jul 2016, 17:37
I am going to France for a few weeks - the South bit between Biarritz and Carcasson and hope that my knowledgeable peers on here will be able to offer me some advice on mobile phones.

I currently have a Vodafone sim card in the iphone and am wondering if it is possible to buy a pay as you go card in France just for the duration of the holiday.

1. Is this a good idea?

2. If I take the current card out (which is on contract) and put another in for a few weeks will this bugger up all the settings on the phone (the iphone is not locked)

3. What card should I buy and is it possible to get such a card while in the UK before the holiday?

Any suggestions?

FF

Jhieminga
7th Jul 2016, 18:44

2. No it will not. At most you will have a different 'customer service' number in your contact list but it will not do anything else. You might need to change some settings to get the mobile data working but that should not be all that difficult.

Hussar 54
7th Jul 2016, 19:14
Not too sure how it works, but when the daughter comes to visit, she 'continues' with her Vodaphone UK contract / number / etc, and is able to take inbound calls / texts / with no additional charge.

When she makes a call / text, she's charged 3 that day -

So no calls / texts out, unlimited free calls / texts in....No additional charge.

All calls / texts out - actual calls cost plus one-off 3 per day....

Rwy in Sight
7th Jul 2016, 19:17
1. Your friends will not have your number so you will not be able to reach you. And if you do give them will they be willing to ring a foreign overseas mobile number?

charliegolf
7th Jul 2016, 19:18
Get a sim only deal from 3. It will be about 15/month, but no contract. If I recall, 300 mins unlimited texts and 1gb data. That package has 'Feels like home' attached, so it will be as if you are using your phone at home. Not sure how many weeks it will run for.

CG

mrloop
7th Jul 2016, 19:21
Three do the "Feel at home" deal which includes France. A range of contract and PAYG sims are available (covering 1, 3 and 12 month periods within the PAYG sim)

Curious Pax
7th Jul 2016, 19:39
Worth checking with your provider as there may be something cheap/simple available. I'm on an O2 contract and just pay 1.99/day if I use it in another EU country.

DirtyProp
7th Jul 2016, 20:03
Any suggestions?

FF

I have a dual sim phone and it's actually great for situations like this when you go outside of the country.
Get a used one not too old, and you should be all set.
:ok:

Gertrude the Wombat
7th Jul 2016, 20:08
Worth checking with your provider as there may be something cheap/simple available. I'm on an O2 contract and just pay 1.99/day if I use it in another EU country.
I'm on an O2 contract and it costs me 0p extra to use it in another EU country.

Until Brexit of course.

xtypeman
7th Jul 2016, 20:10
Have used my 3 contract several times in France/Italy/Spain etc. Its great not to have any additional costs.

Sultan Ismail
7th Jul 2016, 20:22
My service provider calls me within minutes of landing in a different country and activates a fixed charge data rate, basically 6/500mb.
The catch is when I stay in Geneva and then pop 500 metres across the border into France for tea with the daughter in law I get hit for another 6. Otherwise it is a convenient system.

RAT 5
7th Jul 2016, 20:23
Find yourself a spare old phone and buy a pay as you go sim card. Cary 2 phones so you can still be contacted.

lomapaseo
7th Jul 2016, 21:15
Will the new sim car-phone have its own phone number to receive calls or is it just outgoing?

ELondonPax
7th Jul 2016, 21:49
The French SIM card will come with a French mobile number. So long as a service plan or some credit is activated, it'll be good for incoming and outgoing calls.

lomapaseo
8th Jul 2016, 01:00
The French SIM card will come with a French mobile number. So long as a service plan or some credit is activated, it'll be good for incoming and outgoing calls.

Presumably then you can put your cell phone left at home on call forwarding and absorb the extra charge for it calling oversees to ring your French sim card phone.

SMT Member
8th Jul 2016, 09:45
One of the good things EU has brought, is an end to the excessive overpricing on roaming charges. By and large, you won't pay much more receiving or making a call inside the EU than you would at home.

A lot of providers have also started to include other countries in the same price as 'home', which for quite a lot means 'unlimited free calls'. 3 is one of them; in my country they even include Hong Kong.

In so many words, there's not much - if anything - to be gained from obtaining a local SIM card, provided you travel inside the EU with a EU based phone. Even if it costs a bit less, is it really worth the hassle?

wiggy
8th Jul 2016, 10:48
Funfly

+1 to what SMT said.

You obviously need to do due diligence with your domestic provider just in case there"s a hidden nasty in their terms but for inter EU travel these days IMHO it's rarely worth faffing around with extra sim cards unless you are really chasing a budget.

Enjoy your trip, you'll be just up the road from me...

dsc810
8th Jul 2016, 10:59
@smt member
Like hell the EU has

I'm on O2 PAYG and as a low user (all my family are dead in case you are curious) no I do not get any free calls
Previously when I used it abroad I paid higher charges for calls and texts.
If I additionally used data then I had a daily data limit (which could be increased for a fee) and was charged a fixed daily 2 charge on top: all seemed reasonable to me.

Now O2 have "improved" things to comply with the EU
I get lower call charges and roaming charges however I now pay a fixed daily 2 charge whenever I use my phone on a given day whether that is a normal call/text or data.

So a single call made during the day is going to cost me the reduced call charges per minute PLUS the daily fixed 2.

I cannot be arrised to work out exactly what the 100's of percentage increase in my costs that represents for making that call.
And you wonder why I HATE the EU.....they are scum.

funfly
8th Jul 2016, 13:16
Thanks a lot guys, good information here.

Seems my best way is to just carry on using my iphone but contact vodafone first to double check.

FF

Jhieminga
8th Jul 2016, 13:21
Now O2 have "improved" things to comply with the EU
I get lower call charges and roaming charges however I now pay a fixed daily 2 charge whenever I use my phone on a given day whether that is a normal call/text or data.

So a single call made during the day is going to cost me the reduced call charges per minute PLUS the daily fixed 2.
I would hazard a guess that the fixed 2 charge has nothing to do with the EU but is just O2 making sure that they are getting enough money out of a PAYG user. I've never seen a similar charge on the two accounts I use (private and work), and both are also used while roaming.

SMT Member
9th Jul 2016, 00:50
dsc810

That's nothing to do with the EU, but rather an example of you being screwed over by your provider.

The EU told the providers to gradually wind down the roaming charges intra-EU, dictating the amount they are allowed to charge, which has been going on for years now. It will not be long before no roaming charges at all are allowed, which means that the EU has actually done something to protect you and me, the consumers.

Most, if not all, providers in my home country have already gone no intra-EU roaming, with quite a few of them extending the deal to encompass extra-EU countries as well, some very far away.

Yet prices are still going down, saw an offer today of unlimited calls, text and data (yes, data) for the equivalent of UKP13 per month.

Sultan Ismail
9th Jul 2016, 07:02
I am not familiar with availability of free wi-fi in Europe but in my part of the world,the Malay Peninsula, it is an accepted part of the infrastructure. Install Whatsapp and the world is your "whatever you make of it"

Seldomfitforpurpose
9th Jul 2016, 08:48
I am currently in the South of France using my 3 account to access 3/4G with no extra cost involved. I have a sim only contract with 3 which costs me 11 a month with 200 minutes, all you can eat txt and 2 Gb of datawhich I can use in France and a few other countries EU and world wide.

sitigeltfel
9th Jul 2016, 15:25
I am not familiar with availability of free wi-fi in Europe but in my part of the world,the Malay Peninsula, it is an accepted part of the infrastructure. Install Whatsapp and the world is your "whatever you make of it"

Lots of free wifi here in the South of France, trusting it is another matter. :bored:

Pace
9th Jul 2016, 15:45
I have been travelling a lot as a pilot in Europe over the last month and get Vodaphone messages of welcome to France when that is about the only place I haven't been (
Another strange thing is that now I am back in the UK every internal call I make is going to a foreign dial tone any ideas on whats going on ?

Rwy in Sight
9th Jul 2016, 17:48
For reasons you can understand I bought for the son a divorced friend a new sim card from Vodafone called VODAFONE INTERNATIONAL with 5.5 GB internet valid for a month and as I activated today I got 200' of calls free although I am not sure if it includes international calls or only local calls which are useless to a tourist.

When I googled the term I got that:

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/explore/costs/calling-abroad-from-the-uk/vodafone-international/

It might be useful.