PDA

View Full Version : A bit of chop...

haughtney1
4th Jul 2016, 10:36
Anyone experience the fairly significant chop over southern central Oz in the last 24hrs? All associated with the jet that was there, probably the worst CAT I've been through in the last 10 years or so.
No injuries or damage for us, but it was rough enough to shake up a few experienced flyers on board.

donpizmeov
4th Jul 2016, 11:04
Haughtney old chap, every time you make a PA experienced flyers get shaken up. Much smoother up in the Airbus levels. :)

haughtney1
4th Jul 2016, 11:09
Haughtney old chap, every time you make a PA experienced flyers get shaken up. Much smoother up in the Airbus levels.

Doffs my cap.....well played sir..:8

FWIW, a super was asking to descend FL260....Twas a bit sportier the higher up you were.

Transition Layer
5th Jul 2016, 13:39
'Twas a bit rough over the weekend yes. I can't ever remember seeing a 100kt breeze down at FL230 before.

Definitely made westbound across the Bight painfully slow!

john_tullamarine
6th Jul 2016, 02:54
Periodic occurrence .. I recall during the mid-70s on the F27, a little bit earlier in the year .. perhaps Easter-ish ? .. we toddled off for a day's jolly and couldn't get back into MEL until four days later, as best memory serves.

We had a freshly minted hostie out on her first post training flight .. she spent the trip in the jumpseat, terrified, while the senior held the fort down the back. As I recall, when she finally got back to MEL, she resigned and was never to be seen again ...

Jets were falling about out of the higher levels with emergency descents required on a number of occasions.

As one of my TAA mates observed .. they were on final into MEL, were generally out of control and, when the aircraft decided it was time to start going up .. they kept going and diverted elsewhere.

Wasn't a real fun-filled few days.

Eastwest Loco
6th Jul 2016, 04:03
John Tullamarine

I think I remember that Easter. I was working at WNY and everything we sent out came back with the same passengers.
WNY was open but nothing else in the South East of the country was. We were copping everything on diversion. Even an Air SA F27. Those passengers did look confused disembarking.
Longest day I have ever put in at 37.5 hours straight, 8 hour break then back for 15 hours which included 80km drives each way to and from DPO. After the 15 hour day I was seeing steam trains where there was no line, horse driven carts attempting to cross the highway and all sorts of weird stuff.
Easter was a guaranteed crack up time for the weather and the 5 MEL base F27s were scheduled until 2 in the morning on full utilisation.
One seagull fart and it all fell to bits.

Best all

EWL

john_tullamarine
6th Jul 2016, 08:46
Ah, mate .. welcome to what my world used to be .. thank heavens I get to sleep a sensible pattern these days as a semi-retired olde pharte. That trip we had numerous out and returns to Gambier and the north coast.

Best day I can recall on the north coast (different time) MEL was socked in by fog. Skipper was Captain Birdseed (an absolutely top bloke with whom to fly) .. he predicted the appropriate time to depart and we all went mushroom picking about the airfield, had breakfast, took off in a leisurely fashion .. and were still the first bird into MEL after the fog cleared.

greybeard
6th Jul 2016, 22:55
Those were the days, pick a few mushrooms to while away the delay, no stress as to the head office intruding in your thoughts.

Gold they were those days, absolute gold.

:ok::D