PDA

View Full Version : Thieving Barsteward!

Smeagol
3rd Jul 2016, 23:14
Mrs S returned from church this morning and told me that someone had broken the passenger side mirror on her car. On inspecting the vehicle, expecting to see a smashed mirror or similar damage from someone striking it with another vehicle or even a boot (I have had that done as well!), I found that some as***le had carefully removed the heated mirror and the colour matched cover. Just a couple of scratches on the bodywork on the front wing to show where they had been.

The car had been parked in a lay-bye outside the local church in the centre of a village, adjacent to traffic lights on a busy junction and opposite a supermarket and some thieving sh1t nicked bits off the car in broad daylight on a Sunday morning.

If I could find them they might have difficulty with such manual dexterity in the future as I would gladly break all their f****ing fingers!

The world is truly not a pleasant place sometimes.

TowerDog
3rd Jul 2016, 23:53
That There is a good reason to instal a Go-Pro camera constantly recording:
It certainly is the future to protect expensive cars, bikes, whatever.
Got 7 cameras on my house looking at my cars and my boat.
So far a good investment, it has kept the slime-bags away but neighbors have been hit.

vctenderness
4th Jul 2016, 09:31
I remember the days before lockable fuel caps. It was common for thieving barstewards to siphon off your fuel overnight.

So much so that a car without them today is unthinkable.

oldchina
4th Jul 2016, 10:06
Vicar The Knicker ?

Smeagol
4th Jul 2016, 10:31
Vicar The Knicker ?:D:D:D

Amusing but unlikely (he is nice, totally eccentric - some might say barking mad- but I think honest and he does not own a blue BMW).

Good news is that I have sourced replacements from 't'internet' for less than 30.

........but I am still mad as hell at the perpetrator

ian16th
4th Jul 2016, 10:56
With the car parked outside a church the bad guys had a pretty good idea when she would be returning, so how much time they had.

Rather like the crooks that do over footballers houses when they know that they are playing an away match.

TowerDogs suggestion is very valid, and there are lower cost options than Go-Pro today. Dashcams that switch on if movement is detected.

Ant
4th Jul 2016, 11:54
The car had been parked in a lay-bye outside the local church in the centre of a village, adjacent to traffic lights on a busy junction and opposite a supermarket

Have a word with the supermarket manager. Not only CCTV inside, but often outside too.

Also, some junctions are similarly covered so call the council or ask the police to to it if the council won't take instruction from the public.
But be quick, the recordings are erased after a period of time.

Do keep us informed, I really do like to see the wrong 'uns get nicked!

radeng
4th Jul 2016, 13:03
Do keep us informed, I really do like to see the wrong 'uns get nicked!

Sadly, even when they are, a slapped wrist is the usual penalty.

Smeagol
4th Jul 2016, 13:23
Have a word with the supermarket manager. Not only CCTV inside, but often outside too.

Also, some junctions are similarly covered so call the council or ask the police to to it if the council won't take instruction from the public.
But be quick, the recordings are erased after a period of time.

Sadly, the supermarket is below the level of the place where the car was parked and also (probably) too far away. Pretty sure the junction is not covered by CCTV, we are talking rural Norfolk here;)

As for fitting a camera to the car, if one has to protect a 16 year old car, albeit a very nice 3 litre e39 BMW, things have got very bad.

I have already accepted that overall the 30 it will cost me (plus half an hour to re-spray the cover and fit that and the mirror) is a 'good' result, a new unit would have been more than the car is worth.

Just having a rant really.

Checkboard
4th Jul 2016, 13:32
If I could find them they might have difficulty with such manual dexterity in the future as I would gladly break all their f****ing fingers!

Nice to see the teachings of all that Church going taken to heart :)

“Do not take revenge on someone who wrongs you. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.”
Matthew 5:39

“Love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you.”
Matthew 5:44

Do not repay evil with evil.” 1 Peter 3:9

Jhieminga
4th Jul 2016, 14:03
"If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.
How does that work with side mirrors? Would you have to turn the car around? ;)

hiflymk3
4th Jul 2016, 14:50
Cut their hands off. hiflymk3 14:49

Smeagol
4th Jul 2016, 14:54
Nice to see the teachings of all that Church going taken to heart

Sorry Checkboard, but I did say it was the wife's car, she is the one who attends church (is also a churchwarden, and very closely involved with all things relating to the church), I, on the other hand am the resident atheist in the parish. I do help out in certain activities and occasionally attend discussions to add some 'balance' (which is usually appreciated).

The unwritten creed amongst us unbelievers allows the use of physical violence to thieves and scumbags ;)

Ancient Observer
4th Jul 2016, 15:02
Don't bother re-spraying the mirror cover. No one notices other than you. When ours have been broken, I just fit the new cover and leave it. No one notices.

Smeagol
4th Jul 2016, 15:04
Don't bother re-spraying the mirror cover.

That is NOT an option. Mrs S will insist....and she must be obeyed!

Ancient Observer
4th Jul 2016, 15:06
Give her a test. Don't respray it for a month. See if anyone notices.

Effluent Man
4th Jul 2016, 17:28
I once had someone break into my totally fenced car sales site and remove the entire front of an Audi A4.

GGR155
4th Jul 2016, 17:37
Vicar The Knicker ?:D:D:D

Amusing but unlikely (he is nice, totally eccentric - some might say barking mad- but I think honest and he does not own a blue BMW).

Good news is that I have sourced replacements from 't'internet' for less than 30.

........but I am still mad as hell at the perpetrator
You may be buying your own parts back. Its a business that sadly is booming here in the UK.

Saintsman
4th Jul 2016, 18:58
You may be buying your own parts back. Its a business that sadly is booming here in the UK.

Parts are also stolen to order.

As are luxury cars for export.

rans6andrew
4th Jul 2016, 20:38
a friend of mine got in very late one night and went out quite early the following morning, still a little the worse for wear. His car heater didn't seem very effective and the breeze from the vents was a bit fierce. When he arrived at his workplace he noticed that some bar steward had pinched his windscreen, complete with the rubber seal.

Flash2001
4th Jul 2016, 21:55
I wonder where replacement parts sourced on the internet come from.

After an excellent landing etc...

thing
4th Jul 2016, 22:37
Sadly, even when they are, a slapped wrist is the usual penalty.

Slapped with an axe preferably. Happily I'm an atheist too so have no compunction to follow biblical teachings.

stevef
4th Jul 2016, 23:16
Went to go to work one Sunday morning last year and noticed that my 1992 Audi 80 (in a local public car park) was leaning to one side. No, it wasn't a puncture - some thieving bustards had pinched a rear wheel. The strangest part: it was a steel rim!
I found out why when looking for a replacement on eBay... there aren't any around. Picked up a set of four slightly tatty Audi alloys (with three very good tyres) for 80 quid at a scrappy a few miles away, so it was a reasonably happy ending - and now I know how much my remaining steel rims are going to be worth. :)

Tigger4Me
5th Jul 2016, 15:38
I remember the days before lockable fuel caps. It was common for thieving barstewards to siphon off your fuel overnight.

So much so that a car without them today is unthinkable.

Oh for a filler cap lockable or otherwise. My 4 year old Ford Focus was supplied new, with a flap that opens to reveal an open fuel filler. It seems that Ford at least do not believe in filler caps at all.

maliyahsdad2
5th Jul 2016, 16:06
You sure it wasn't nicked before you bought the car? :-)

Apparently with this "easy fuel system" you can't just fill up from a normal can if you run out of fuel otherwise it leaks out from an overflow, you should have a funnel in the boot.

spekesoftly
5th Jul 2016, 16:10
Tigger4me,

Are you able to open the filler flap when the car is locked?

G-CPTN
5th Jul 2016, 16:15
Most cars nowadays have an anti-syphoning design for the fuel tank filler.

Tigger4Me
5th Jul 2016, 16:21
Yes and yes!

Yes, they did supply a funnel and yes, the filler flap can still be opened whether the doors are locked or double locked.

That's interesting G-CPTN. Any idea how it works?

G-CPTN
5th Jul 2016, 16:34
That's interesting G-CPTN. Any idea how it works?
Usually it is a plastic ball in a cage.

k39E2PRofIo

Tigger4Me
5th Jul 2016, 16:44
Usually it is a plastic ball in a cage.

Thanks for that. Maybe Ford are on the ball, so to speak, and have included that.

G-CPTN
5th Jul 2016, 16:50
The design of the fuel filler system should also prevent spillage in the event of an overturned vehicle.

Tigger4Me
5th Jul 2016, 16:52
That's reassuring. I'd never considered that possibility.

Alsacienne
5th Jul 2016, 16:58
Left my flashy Moulton Mini bike locked to a railing in Merton Street Oxford in November 1975 before attending a concert. On my return, not only was my bike missing but also the railing.

Haraka
5th Jul 2016, 17:51
The design of the fuel filler system should also prevent spillage in the event of an overturned vehicle.
As a callow youth I rolled my Triumph Spitfire one night, failing to get round a tight corner in a narrow lane. On inverting the windscreen flew off and the arch collapsed simultaneously with the side screens fragmenting. My passenger and I were then pinned under the beast inside a bag of smashed class which was the remains of the soft top. The engine ran for a couple of seconds before I switched off. The ensuing silence being broken by the sound of petrol whooshing out of the central filler cap and flooding across us .Oh yes, we got out somehow........

ian16th
5th Jul 2016, 20:13
As a callow youth I rolled my Triumph Spitfire one night, failing to get round a tight corner in a narrow lane.

Have you bought a car with a swing axle rear end since?

Haraka
6th Jul 2016, 07:31
Hi, Ian , That was a Mk.3. I subsequently bought a 1500 which allegedly had "cured" the bunny hop. Allegedly :). Sorry for the thread drift.

Stanwell
6th Jul 2016, 08:35
Oh, I don't know about thread-drift so much...
I somehow doubt that Triumphs were high on the thieves' list of desirable targets. :E

Hydromet
6th Jul 2016, 10:06
My first car was a Standard 10. It was insured for 100, but was worth much less. The passenger side door could not be locked. I would not have been disappointed if it had been stolen.
One night I parked it in a back alley near Sydney Tech. When I returned, some magazines from the Tech. library which had been on the seat had been stolen by thieves who broke in through the drivers side door.
Tech made me pay for the magazines.

Smeagol
6th Jul 2016, 10:29
All thread drifts welcome :ok::ok:

Gordon17
6th Jul 2016, 10:33
Some thieving toe-rag once threw half a paving slab through the window of my car and stole nothing but the cassette that was actually in the player. They left behind all my other tapes that were in a box on the seat.

Ken Borough
6th Jul 2016, 10:36
Rear view mirror here, fuel cap there and so on. They're nothing compared to a friend's experience here in suburban Oz. He had a top of the range Toyota Prado (Twickenham Tractor to those in northern parts) that was loaded with every conceivable extra. It was parked in the driveway immediately adjacent to his house. While he and his wife were asleep inside, said vehicle was removed and carted away on a flat-top lorry, both of which have never been sent since. Cops reckon before the day was out, the stolen vehicle was on its way to the Middle East. Insurance paid out after twelve months but the poor bloke dropped a veritable bundle as apart from the vehicle being depreciated by the insurer at an abnormal rate, nothing was paid for the various extras.

Haraka
6th Jul 2016, 14:36
Many years ago in Paris one of the scams was to claim that you had a briefcase stolen out of your car, then to get a brand new one on insurance. The usual trick was to smash a car window to "prove" forced entry.
One chap I knew was pretty honest, but being led on by his mates. So, in the early hours of one night he tripped downstairs from his flat and put a hammer through his car windscreen. He ran back upstairs and jumped into bed, to lie awake pondering what he had just done.
It was then that he came to the sudden realisation of the fact that he didn't have any car windscreen insurance.......