PDA

View Full Version : Updates: Discounts by showing ASIC?

magicalflights
2nd Jul 2016, 22:00
Hi all,

There was a similar thread a few years back, but I would like to get current thoughts about getting discounts on food and beverages (off duty) at major airports such as Tullamarine.

Also, does ASIC give you a discount at car rental companies in regionals?

Stretch06
3rd Jul 2016, 00:04
Search "ASIC Shopper" app for iphone or android. It is a user updated app that highlights business that provide discounts to ASIC holders.

Ixixly
3rd Jul 2016, 01:44
Wow, thanks Stretch, had no idea this app was available! It feels a bit slow and clunky, needs a bit of optimisation I'd say but otherwise seems to work as expected, will be sharing this one on Facebook!

Metro man
3rd Jul 2016, 04:04
Airline Staff ID cards are generally better at getting you a discount or upgrade but by all means try your luck with an ASIC. Never try, never know. Interpretations of the rules vary amongst staff, some will only apply discount if your airline actually flies to the airport, others just look at the ID and apply the relevant code.

I got a good discount at the Brisbane duty free on noise cancelling earphones with my staff ID.

Ando1Bar
3rd Jul 2016, 06:37
Wow, thanks Stretch, had no idea this app was available! It feels a bit slow and clunky, needs a bit of optimisation I'd say but otherwise seems to work as expected, will be sharing this one on Facebook!

Hi Ixixly,

Thanks for the feedback. ASIC Shopper was the first app I've put together, and I ended up with a few limitations with the software that was chosen. Therefore it's not as optimised as what you'd get from some professional developers that churn these out everyday. The goal though was to put something out there that can benefit us all, and it was good to hear from some FAs recently who used it and saved a few hundred dollars on holiday accommodation.

magicalflights
3rd Jul 2016, 11:18
Thanks Andrew for doing up such a wonderful app. How do you get the information updated? Do you travel around and ask vendors if they wanna participate in this?

However, was playing around with the app and it doesn't show many discounts in the various airports, i.e. Melbourne only has 1 food store giving discount?

Stretch06
5th Jul 2016, 10:59
Magicalflights, the app lets every user add details. ie you could find a store that gives 10% off and add it for the better of all users.

Ando1Bar
5th Jul 2016, 20:54
Magicalflights - initially the research was done in person during my travels. Not too many Melbourne discounts as I don't get down that way. But as Stretch said the app was designed to allow community input to grow the discount database.

The biggest range of discounts relate to travel/accomodation, but would love to hear if there are any other coffee shops, cafes, outlets etc. that offer good deals.

Glasgow_Flyer
12th Jul 2016, 11:49
I'll download it and start using - I am all over the MML discounts (T4 Salsa's $2 Taco Tuesday has to go in (albeit that's not an ASIC discount!)).

Edit... Salsa's was already there!