PDA

View Full Version : FAA IR flight test in UK?

DogsBolx
13th Jan 2001, 21:36
Here's one for you! Can I complete an FAA multi IR partial test in the UK?

FLARE DAMIT
14th Jan 2001, 19:47
yes you can if you can find an FAA examiner and an (n) reg aircraft.There are a couple about but are bloody expensive.Could be cheaper flying back to the USA with their cheaper examiners and cheaper aicraft rates.

Capt Crash
14th Jan 2001, 21:39
You could ask a guy I know, Tom Hughston from American Flight Training, he is based in Norwich. He does loads of FAA teaching on N reg aircraft.

01603 301902 or mobile 0410 564421.

DogsBolx
16th Jan 2001, 13:55
Many thanx guys, I'll give him a ring.

Ham Phisted
16th Jan 2001, 17:43
Glen Stewart at Soloflight Humberside was also doing FAA IRs. Number is 01652 688 833. I think they are also planning to do offer the written tests as well. Not been there for a while so caveat emptor.

HP

AtlanticFlyer
25th Jan 2001, 16:27
you can try American Aviation Services aswell at Gloucestershire Airport, they do loads of stuff for the FAA and are usually able to answer most questions.
01452 857757
www.faa.co.uk (http://www.faa.co.uk)

Bear Cub
26th Jan 2001, 09:38
On a recent visit to the Isle of Man it came up in conversation that although you can TRAIN at numerous places in the UK for an FAA license - the nearest EXAMINER is in Frankfurt, Germany.

I have absolutely no idea if this is true (about the examiner I mean, I know the conversation is true - because I was having it).

------------------
Hunting is bad!!
Support the right to arm Bears!!

keendog
26th Jan 2001, 13:39
It is true. I plan to get an FAA licence within the next year or so and I expect quite a few other people want to do the same, or get other FAA ratings. Just a thought, but if enough people wanted an examiner over here perhaps we could get him/her cheaper if we presented ourselves as a job lot over the course of a week or so.

RVR800
26th Jan 2001, 20:30
Try

http://www.soloflight.co.uk/main.html

Glen Stewart is your man

Low_and_Slow
27th Jan 2001, 01:59
> thought, but if enough people wanted an
> examiner over here perhaps we could get
> him/her cheaper if we presented ourselves
> as a job lot over the course of a week or
> so.

This might present a problem: AFAIK examination priveleges are restricted to a specific geographical area.

From one of John Deakin's articles on aveb:

> A DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner) can give
> type rating rides and proficiency checks in
> specific aircraft types, issue temporary
> certificates (and Notices of
> Disapproval!), and can also give
> proficiency checks, but is limited to
> specific FSDO regions, usually just one,
> and usually the one where he lives.
> Application is to the NEB (National
> Examiner's Board) in OKC (which I'll cover
> in a short while).

Thus just bringing some FAA DPE over the pond will not do--(s)he'll likely have to jump through some FAA hoops.

-me