PDA

View Full Version : Aircrew pocket knives/tools

magicalflights
2nd Jul 2016, 21:28
Hi all,

Just wondering what's CASA's view on GA pilots carrying pocket knives, similar to swiss army or leatherman knives, with a range of tools inside.

Is that tantamount to carrying weapons on board?

Also, if we were to carry it in person when we're flying to Class C airports such as Sydney or Melbourne, will we get through security without problems with such tools on us?

Old Akro
3rd Jul 2016, 00:06
Private aircraft, private airport - go your hardest. Take the shotgun.

You've missed the point. Its about a anti-terrorism not about pilots. The screening is linked to airports not aircraft.

currawong
3rd Jul 2016, 02:56
Aviation Transport Security Act

Regs - Part 4 Other Security Measures

Div 4.2 Weapons

4.52 Aviation Industry Participants Authorised to Have Weapons (not firearms) in Possession in Secure Areas

1.An aviation industry participant is authorised to have a weapon (other than a firearm) in its possession in an airside or a landside security zone if:

1. the weapon is a tool of trade, and
2. the aviation industry participant takes reasonable precautions to ensure that the weapon remains under its control

2. For paragraph (1) (a) something is a tool of trade if the relevant aviation industry participant requires it for a lawful purpose.

Or has this changed?

rmcdonal
3rd Jul 2016, 07:28
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicalflights View Post
Also, if we were to carry it in person when we're flying to Class C airports such as Sydney or Melbourne, will we get through security without problems with such tools on us?
Not a chance of getting through.

No chance through a terminal, but you are unlikely to be flying anything that requires the pilot to have a Leatherman at a terminal with that sort of security anyway. If you don't use the terminal to access your aircraft you are unlikely to be screened, so you can take it with you.
You could just leave it in your aircraft, as no one is going to inspect it. The main issue comes if you want to pax home after a flight and don't want to check it in.
The airside engineers always have a multi-tool on them, no one ever questions it.

As for CASA, they don't care, this is a Security issue not a Safety issue.

Look Mum - no hands
3rd Jul 2016, 11:38
A mate once had a fuel sampler confiscated going through security at a regional QLD airport. Apparently the screwdriver bit was a significant threat.

magicalflights
3rd Jul 2016, 13:17
A mate once had a fuel sampler confiscated going through security at a regional QLD airport. Apparently the screwdriver bit was a significant threat.
Isn't the fuel sampler an essential toolkit? And on some aircrafts, to unlatch the cowling (to check engine oil), you'll need a screw driver...

Capt Fathom
3rd Jul 2016, 16:00
Yep, but you can't take it through security!

Plan Ahead! As someone has mentioned, if you think you will need to go through security, leave your tools in your aircraft. If you are travelling with the airlines with your kit, you may have to check in your bag.

Squawk7700
3rd Jul 2016, 21:40

I've taken one on QF94 from LAX -> MEL and they saw it (they knew what it was) and weren't at all concerned.

Ixixly
4th Jul 2016, 23:09
My fuel strainer with screwdriver lives in my carry on bag all the time and surprisingly no problems yet! I'm sure I'll have to put up with an over zealous security fool at some point but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it!

And I'm sure someone will ask why I don't just check it in, personally my carry on bag contains everything I need to be able to go to work, headset, EFB, mounts, laptop etc... the stuff that if my checked in bag got lost I would be annoyed but I wouldn't have to call up the boss and tell him "Sorry, can't fly, no headset/licence/EFB..." which is why the strainer is in there. I've always figured worse case scenario I'll chuck out the screw driver bit if they're going to make a real fuss about it.

Alloverit
5th Jul 2016, 02:19
But clearly some pilots have been "Terrorists" in the past ? Ive yet so see an airport blow up a plane ?

YPJT
5th Jul 2016, 13:23
I reckon Currawong has nailed it pretty well.

As for getting through terminals, unless you are flying or paxing on a prescribed air service there is no requirement for you to be subject to the screening process. So the only other way you are likely to get done is the unlikely event that there is some sort of airside inspection regime in place. Never seen it at any of the Security Cat 2 or Cat 3 airports that I have flown into.

I have always had a leatherman in my flight bag. In the bad old days before the regulation requiring all aircraft departing off the same apron as the screened service to also be screened was amended, I used to just leave said tool in the aircraft. It was a ridiculous regulation that took a lot of work to have amended to a more common sense approach.